Okay maybe we don't need more remakes.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

So Naughty Dog is supposedly working on a Remake of the original Last of Us, not remaster....reMAKE. What the fuck for? The original game is remains an incredible game and with the PS4 remaster I can't fathom any other reason but greed and lack of ideas for the studio to even consider this.

I guess when Remake's got more and more prevailent, it was only a matter of time before studios would try to just remake shit that is so recent that it likely isn't going to take much work to do, and they can resell the game (which people already like and will likely buy again) for a surefire bet.

Still, this seems like a boneheaded move TBH.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I guess when Remake's got more and more prevailent, it was only a matter of time before studios would try to just remake shit that is so recent that it likely isn't going to take much work to do,
Bingo. Why start from scratch, incurring all risks that come with it when you can just polish your already-won first place trophy and charge a fee to have people ogle it?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

So Naughty Dog is supposedly working on a Remake of the original Last of Us, not remaster....reMAKE. What the fuck for? The original game is remains an incredible game and with the PS4 remaster I can't fathom any other reason but greed and lack of ideas for the studio to even consider this.

I guess when Remake's got more and more prevailent, it was only a matter of time before studios would try to just remake shit that is so recent that it likely isn't going to take much work to do, and they can resell the game (which people already like and will likely buy again) for a surefire bet.

Still, this seems like a boneheaded move TBH.
Welcome to a creatively bankrupt industry. Games are art my ass when it comes to Naughty Dog and Sony. I boycotted their asses anyway. Let the babies have their bottle.

Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I can't fathom any other reason but greed and lack of ideas for the studio to even consider this.
Could be a nice exercise in getting to grips with a new engine for one of their teams.

But then I'd expect this "remake" to be done by a B-team, while a larger team is off working on an actual lead project.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I can't wait for the Spaceballs future where we remake games that haven't even been finished yet.
If I'm being honest, I'm still waiting on Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money. 7-year-old me took that throwaway line as a promise; 35 years later and Mel Brooks being 94, I'm starting to think it just might not happen.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If I'm being honest, I'm still waiting on Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money. 7-year-old me took that throwaway line as a promise; 35 years later and Mel Brooks being 94, I'm starting to think it just might not happen.
It's okay, plenty of other sequels have already taken up that mantle, and will continue to do so long after both of us are dead.

Yay movies.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Could be a nice exercise in getting to grips with a new engine for one of their teams.

But then I'd expect this "remake" to be done by a B-team, while a larger team is off working on an actual lead project.
Yeah that is certainly possible. However if they put the remake on a brand new engine, then I would assume the A-team would also need practice with said engine as well.

It could be a dummy project that they are doing for practice though, sure. And if they sell it for 20 bucks then fine.

But I bet it launches as a full 70 dollar remake just because they know they can sell it for that much.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The story does appear to be a bit more nuanced though. Apparently Sony wanted a pack-in of TLOU1 with TLOU2 in the same engine but Hulst considered a full on remake too expensive. It would have been pretty cool but Hulst cancelled the plans when he saw the price tag. There are probably numerous of these kind of internal projects that got scrapped and were never intended for public consumption.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Well spiderman has been rebooted twice in the span of half a generation, not including the games' weird inter-gen face transplant I kinda deeply resent when I think about it for more than a nanosecond. This won't end, capitalism will rinse everything you love dry to the bone, then reboot and repackage to rinse again. If it makes money, it won't stop, everything will be exploited. If that's seen as a problem, then it's just the shiny tip of the concerning iceberg for the system it thrives in. Otherwise, best option is to resist getting attached to everything. Detatch entirely from all you love! Nothing can hurt you in this psychological womb of indifference!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ha, Spaceballs 2! The closest to that was Space Dandy.

I don't need no Spaceballs 2! I'll wait for a real sequel: Ninja Assassin 2 and Panty & Stocking 2nd Season.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.....HAHAH....ahahaha...ha- :ROFLMAO:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! 😖😫😭

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Well, the game is nearly 8 years old and is still playable on current consoles, so yeah a remake makes perfect sense. What exactly are they going to change? Make it even more miserable? I kind of think they may be trying to claw back some love after the reception that TLoU2 got from certain people.

Of course, if this goes ahead and is successful, I can't wait for stuff like Final Fantasy 7 Remake: The Remake in 3 years time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Oh I can already see the pandering:
  • Sarah's death is too dark, so that's gotta go. The game starts as Joel wakes up
  • Ellie knows how to kill the toughest enemies at the very beginning to show that she's a sTrONg INdePenDANT wOmAn
  • Everyone has the "normal" body type
  • Have baby-easy mode to make it accessible
  • The scale of the infection is toned down because it may reflect covid
  • Less blood and gore
  • Voice Actors are replaced for the most ridiculous reasons
Did I miss any? Though I am being sarcastic, I do fear this might come to reality; Considering how often these gaming companies bend their knees to the gaming journalists, SJWs, and "influencers" on twitter

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I can't wait for the Spaceballs future where we remake games that haven't even been finished yet.
Game Dev reading this forum: Hold on a second......

I'm still waiting for History of the World Part 2. Mel Brooks, I was promised JEWS IN SPACE!!!!!!!!!!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
  • Sarah's death is too dark, so that's gotta go. The game starts as Joel wakes up
  • Ellie knows how to kill the toughest enemies at the very beginning to show that she's a sTrONg INdePenDANT wOmAn
  • Less blood and gore
Did I miss any? Though I am being sarcastic, I do fear this might come to reality; Considering how often these gaming companies bend their knees to the gaming journalists, SJWs, and "influencers" on twitter
Considering where the negative receptions on TLoU2 came from and how in love the SJWs were with the first one, I don't think pandering to SJWs is the direction they'd be going

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
  • Less blood and gore
Uh.......wut?

TLoU2 was thoroughly in love with its own miserable tone and shocking violence, and gaming journalists ate that shit up. So why would they "bend the knee" to NOT have that be there. If anything there's a major chance this remake will up the shock and violence, since TLoU2 showed that that's what the writers apparently think this series is about now.

Also, eek accessibility modes; the one thing this game deserves genuine praise for. How dare they pander to those pesky gamers with physical disabilities with this OPTIONAL mode.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Not gonna lie, as someone who has yet to play the first, if they just remade the first game but with the mechanics from TLOU 2, I wouldn't particularly mind. That however completely depends on the price they're gonna have on this thing. Anything more than 20 dollars can go fuck itself.