Okay maybe we don't need more remakes.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I would very much like to see remakes of the original AITD and Silent Hill one. Just graphics really. Those pixels have not aged well.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looking at this thread, there seems to be a conflation of re-releases, remasters, and remakes. But I'll get to that in a bit.

Well spiderman has been rebooted twice in the span of half a generation,
I don't think that's really the same thing. More like re-adapted. It's like saying Peter Jackson "rebooted" Lord of the Rings after the Bashki film, or that War of the Worlds was "rebooted" within a year of each other (as two recent TV adaptations were made back to back).

A list of better remakes:
  • REmake 1, 2, & 3.
  • Super Mario 3D World - It's a 3D version of Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
  • Ninja Warriors Once Again (Ninja Saviors)
  • Crash Insane Trilogy
  • Shadow of the Colossus
Case in point. I can't comment on all of those, but stuff like the RE remakes and the N.Sane Trilogy don't belong in the same category. The former is a case of full-blown remakes, when a game is built from the ground-up. The N.Sane Trilogy is a remaster, where it's the same game with a new coat of paint bar some incidental changes.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I want to play the games that I love, in the best way possible, and I really like The Last of Us, so I would be receptive to a better version of the game.

But... this is also such a strange choice. The game isn't even 10 years old yet, and still holds up really well in the PS4 remaster - so this just strikes me as an odd candidate for a full-on remake.

I'd definitely get it, but its just a baffling choice.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The former is a case of full-blown remakes, when a game is built from the ground-up.
Exactly why they are a million times better than whatever the unnecessary TLOUS remake is going to be.

The N.Sane Trilogy is a remaster, where it's the same game with a new coat of paint bar some incidental changes.
Still more fun than the unnecessary remake.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I want to play the games that I love, in the best way possible, and I really like The Last of Us, so I would be receptive to a better version of the game.

But... this is also such a strange choice. The game isn't even 10 years old yet, and still holds up really well in the PS4 remaster - so this just strikes me as an odd candidate for a full-on remake.

I'd definitely get it, but its just a baffling choice.

It’s most certainly a vanity project, and it apparently began as a more humble gig through a support studio that usually polishes Naughty Dog’s games, then got overtaken by Naughty Dog. “Cost” was a prime concern, but it’s more than that. Having “Naughty Dog” solely on the credits will look better to Sony when marketing the game, as it’s technically their game in the first place. The cost factor is basically suit bs speak for saying, “We just don’t want you people working on it.”

Naughty Dog is basically a shoe-in for high sales, but this game will end up costing significantly more now. It’s also kinda ironic that Naughty Dog wants to “take control” of their darling, when they needed an incredible amount of help on the sequel. That’s getting into Rockstar/RDR2 territory, for a game with only a fraction of the scope. Guessing that wasn’t cheap, along with the numerous delays suffered from high turnover of key staff after being asshats to their employees.

It will probably take a critical/commercial dud for anything to change there though. Oh, and somewhat ironically the studio that started the project has largely disbanded after being upstaged, so I guess ND will be looking elsewhere for help polishing their next pedestal piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan