Okay, who the hell was praising Dragon Age Inquisition?

peabuddie

Mar 13, 2017
Holy fucking fuck what the fuck were those fuckers fucking thinking? I couldn't have said it better myself.

ckriley

Mar 31, 2010
Coming to this thread late, but I actually liked DA:I. I know it's not cool to say you actually like something, but I found the game enjoyable and played through it a few times.

One thing I will agree with is that the game clearly wants to tell the story of the elves. Right down to who Solas really is and his ties to Flemeth. The game is very interesting when you play it as an elf inquisitor. Which is totally fine by me because I've always loved elves.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Dragon age inquisition was a brave attempt to ressurect the series' name after the disaster of DA2 (which really wasn't that bad IMO) but I think it only half succeeded. It did much better in world design and length, but the plot was bland and the user interface was clunky, especially if you didn't use a controller. DA2's plot was actually pretty ambitious and unique, but the world design didn't match it. If they'd taken DA2's Plot and recreated it in DA3's world, that would have been an amazing game.

Anyway I never completed DA3 because of all the pointless grinding and getting lost, and don't want to play it again. So my overall impression of it: beautiful but BLAH. Boring to actually play.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
ckriley said:
Coming to this thread late, but I actually liked DA:I. I know it's not cool to say you actually like something, but I found the game enjoyable and played through it a few times.
It's completely cool to say you like something, it's just a shame so few people are willing to say why.

It's something I've noticed over many forums. The people who don't like something will write, often to nitpicking levels, as to why they don't like the game or an element of it. The people who do like it will say "yeah I liked it" and stop at that.

When the people who are feeling negative are the only ones writing why they feel that way, it isn't hard to see why the good stuff gets drowned out.

ckriley

Mar 31, 2010
votemarvel said:
ckriley said:
It's completely cool to say you like something, it's just a shame so few people are willing to say why.

It's something I've noticed over many forums. The people who don't like something will write, often to nitpicking levels, as to why they don't like the game or an element of it. The people who do like it will say "yeah I liked it" and stop at that.

When the people who are feeling negative are the only ones writing why they feel that way, it isn't hard to see why the good stuff gets drowned out.
I'll take that as a hint to write a bit more as to why I liked DA:I. :)

I liked it because of the characters and because it felt like the game went back to its roots. It was also clearly influenced by Skyrim. If the OP didn't like the first game, then he/she wouldn't like this game because it very obviously tried to recapture what made DAO successful.

The open world feel to it (mounts!) was a direct response to many fans who felt the first two games had kind of a canned feel to them. You weren't free to roam and explore in those games, which is a staple of any good RPG. DAI had the exploration element in spades. So for me, all those sidequests and dragons to kill wasn't just pointless filler, it was a roleplaying game. Especially on my elf inquisitor.

I agree that the story was very straightforward and generic, but lets be honest, all BioWare games since KOTOR have been that way. It's what they do best. DA2 was their attempt to do something different and it wasn't well received. So they went back to their standard formula. And I enjoyed it.

Jonbodhi

Sep 27, 2013
I liked it quite a bit, at least for a time. I had to restart the game several times when I realized my world save didn't load properly. I had two meaningful playthroughs, and each was different enough to be worth the journey.

There were many good things about the game. Never let it be said Bioware doesn't listen to feedback: if DA2 lacked unique environments, DAI had them by the truckload. An article at the time asked: Does Dragon Age:Inquisition out-Skyrim Skyrim? A silly question because of course not. A big open environment only counts if there's something IN that environment, and there largely wasn't. I only remember stumbling across a handful of quests, real quests with a story attached. Still, there were lots of pretty worlds to look at. Some great moments too. I remember my party charging towards a castle in a swamp as the living dead rose all around them, grasping at their sleeves. Another mission had them fighting their way to the top of a mountain to save a trapped unit of soldiers. Good times!

Good companions too. I had to constantly mix-and-match so I could hear the hilarious interactions between them, or follow their quests, or just walk around to hear the volumes of dialogue they all had, which changed depending on where you were in the game. You went on real journeys with some of them. Whatever faults the game had, a lot of effort was put into these characters. At one time or another I traveled with all of them (except Sera. No. Nope. Couldn't stand her)

And the game enabled real role-playing. My gay, human rogue got into a torrid affair with Dorian and regarded Cole as a useful weirdo, while my straight, Elven mage became intensely protective of Cole, like a big brother, while seeing Dorian as a valuable ally, but a pain to be around. I even used the 'stop flirting with me' option with him. The difference coming from who you fought beside during the middle section of the game. I even got help shaping my character. There's a dialogue where my elf has the option to say: 'I never felt like part of my tribe' and it clarified the character enormously for me. And how funny was it when my hopeful elf hit on Sera and got shot down HARD! I loved that moment.

I didn't love the combat, especially the archery. Can't someone steal Dragon's Dogma's combat system? Obviously Capcom won't be using it. I did like the rogue's dodge move, and the dodge spell the mage got is what convinced me to play a magic class for the first time ever in an RPG. I need my characters to be active. Still, it took me until halfway DA2 to understand and use the combat system, only for them to remove it!

So overall, I liked the game, but here's the funny thing. I played at the beginning of '15, then bought all the DLC to play at year's end, but could hardly get myself to go back. I'd burned myself out in the game!

And what's up with those elves and their shoulder?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I like it, ney love it.

What I want from a Bioware RPG is good characters, depth of back story (yes the bad guy is the typical "muhaha I will destroy the world" but the conflicts between nations, sometimes within nation, create a rich environment for me) interesting places to explore (I've a couple of playthroughs where I've done every side quest, found every shard, unlocked every ocularum, and killed every dragon but then I have playthroughs where I just do what I need to proceed) What amazes me is that folks have complained that the wide open areas aren't like the previous games, no they're not, they're the 4 or five small outdoor areas found in past games, opened up into one big area! (So instead of the 4 separate parts of the Brecilian Forest you have the Emerald Graves)

The DLC's were the low point for me, yes Trespasser is an end that will lead into the next game, but the other two (The Descent and Jaws of Harkon) don't really add anything for me and I doubt I would have bought them two if I hadn't picked up the Game of The Year edition for ?15.

TLDR:
I liked it, but if you don't, hey good for you :)