Old Games you remember playing but can't remember the name of.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Stormtempter said:
Remember renting a CD-ROM from the laundromat back in the mid 90s, so MS-DOS or Win95 perhaps, it was on the shelf with Mechwarrior 2 and Legend of Kyrandia 3. The problem is I dont remember much.

It was turn based fantasy, may have had city-building elements, or perhaps just conquer city tiles and build settlement tiles. There was a square grid. Two things I distinctly remember about it was that I researched how to prevent Cholera outbreaks in my territory and also researched, built and proceeded to dominate the AI with a War Balloon, which was a hot air balloon that could drop bombs on enemy tiles.

Sadly thats all I can really pull from memory. Does this jog any of yours?
Could that have been either Master of Magic or Clash?

Stormtempter

Sep 7, 2017
Regrettably, I don't think it was them. Any options for an isometric view of a grid based world?

**I look at screenshots of Populous and they are tingling the memories. I don't recall the god-powers and terrain alteration, but the map and minimap, the isometric view, and other aesthetics does.

Looking into similar titles now to see if one is a match

shoptrader20

Mar 21, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if anyone is still looking here and helping folks with this but I hope someone can help me with this. I don't remember the game name but the details are as follows:

Platform: Windows (I think it should be win95, but it could also be anytime from NT onwards...)
Game Style and visuals: Battle Royale/Tron cars
Controls: keyboard only i think. the controls include up down left right, primary weapon firing, secondary weapon (which is based on power pickups) and an ability to create a laser barrier from the rear of your bike (which can last for some time before dissipating and you will cooldown the ability)

Story that I can remember: the idea is that you are a prisoner. in order to escape, you are required to battle out against other prisoners using tron-like bikes (the design is similar to that of attack cycles in cnc tiberian sun and tiberium wars, but has the ability to create laser barriers behind your bike).

Gameplay: you and all your opponents start from the middle of the map in a tower like structure. you spawn from a platform on the tower, but you return to the tower once u have completed your objectives to win the round. your main objectives are to kill a minimum number of opponent prisoners. you are granted unlimited life, so if your vehicle was destroyed you will respawn after some time. however, you are also limited by time, where if the timer is up, a killzone will gradually close in towards the centre from the walls of the map nonstop (which is kinda similar to pubg but the remaining safe zone will always be the tower, and the killzone is always moving in rather than pausing for some time). you can still continue to spawn if you died by enemy fire during this time unless the killzone is already touching the tower. if you moved/spawned into the killzone, you will lose the round completely regardless of whether you completed the objectives or not. you can choose to escape to the tower immediately after completing your objectives, or you can continue to kill until the very end for the highest score (which has its risk of course). i only played as single player but i think there was a capacity for multiplayer via LAN.

throughout the map there are various rooms that includes obstacles, traps and pickups. the pickups basically offer you the ability to use a secondary weapon, including a one-off shockwave (basically does an AOE nuke around you that instant kill all opponents in range), a electric shocker (i dont remember how much you can use this, but you kinda cc/damage the opponent you are targeting), and others that i dont remember now.

in some cases, you may have destroyed an opponent vehicle but the driver survives the destruction. the driver will always end up burning from the conflagration. if you killed the driver directly using your primary weapon, the game gives you a point or at least an announcement for a mercy kill. alternately if you leave him be, he will eventually die from burning (the time taken is actually the respawn time).

as stated, one last ability for the bike is to create a laser barrier. this barrier can block opponents' paths and weapons (except shockwave i think) and also deals some damage if your opponent runs into it. there is a certain distance this barrier can be created based on a specific capacity. you can create one whole barrier or split the barrier if you want, but the total length will always be based on the capacity. the barrier will gradually dissipate, which thus recovers your capacity and you can reuse again after a cooldown.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
shoptrader20 said:
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if anyone is still looking here and helping folks with this but I hope someone can help me with this. I don't remember the game name but the details are as follows:

Platform: Windows (I think it should be win95, but it could also be anytime from NT onwards...)
Game Style and visuals: Battle Royale/Tron cars
Controls: keyboard only i think. the controls include up down left right, primary weapon firing, secondary weapon (which is based on power pickups) and an ability to create a laser barrier from the rear of your bike (which can last for some time before dissipating and you will cooldown the ability)

Story that I can remember: the idea is that you are a prisoner. in order to escape, you are required to battle out against other prisoners using tron-like bikes (the design is similar to that of attack cycles in cnc tiberian sun and tiberium wars, but has the ability to create laser barriers behind your bike).

Gameplay: you and all your opponents start from the middle of the map in a tower like structure. you spawn from a platform on the tower, but you return to the tower once u have completed your objectives to win the round. your main objectives are to kill a minimum number of opponent prisoners. you are granted unlimited life, so if your vehicle was destroyed you will respawn after some time. however, you are also limited by time, where if the timer is up, a killzone will gradually close in towards the centre from the walls of the map nonstop (which is kinda similar to pubg but the remaining safe zone will always be the tower, and the killzone is always moving in rather than pausing for some time). you can still continue to spawn if you died by enemy fire during this time unless the killzone is already touching the tower. if you moved/spawned into the killzone, you will lose the round completely regardless of whether you completed the objectives or not. you can choose to escape to the tower immediately after completing your objectives, or you can continue to kill until the very end for the highest score (which has its risk of course). i only played as single player but i think there was a capacity for multiplayer via LAN.

throughout the map there are various rooms that includes obstacles, traps and pickups. the pickups basically offer you the ability to use a secondary weapon, including a one-off shockwave (basically does an AOE nuke around you that instant kill all opponents in range), a electric shocker (i dont remember how much you can use this, but you kinda cc/damage the opponent you are targeting), and others that i dont remember now.

in some cases, you may have destroyed an opponent vehicle but the driver survives the destruction. the driver will always end up burning from the conflagration. if you killed the driver directly using your primary weapon, the game gives you a point or at least an announcement for a mercy kill. alternately if you leave him be, he will eventually die from burning (the time taken is actually the respawn time).

as stated, one last ability for the bike is to create a laser barrier. this barrier can block opponents' paths and weapons (except shockwave i think) and also deals some damage if your opponent runs into it. there is a certain distance this barrier can be created based on a specific capacity. you can create one whole barrier or split the barrier if you want, but the total length will always be based on the capacity. the barrier will gradually dissipate, which thus recovers your capacity and you can reuse again after a cooldown.
That was probably Death Drome by Zipper Interactive:

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Stormtempter said:
Regrettably, I don't think it was them. Any options for an isometric view of a grid based world?

**I look at screenshots of Populous and they are tingling the memories. I don't recall the god-powers and terrain alteration, but the map and minimap, the isometric view, and other aesthetics does.

Looking into similar titles now to see if one is a match
Could it have been Celtic Tales: Balor of the Evil Eye?

Stormtempter

Sep 7, 2017
RelativityMan said:
Not gonna lie, thats looking mighty close. I appreciate all your help. For some reason I keep thinking of alot of sepia tones, tans, browns, ruddy oranges and the like. I can't remember if there was talking and avatars interacting either. That map/gameworld layout is spot on though.

No worries, unless I stumble on what I played, I'm going to go with Celtic Tales XD

HotPocky

Feb 11, 2015
it's not a necessarily "old" game that i'm trying to recall, but it was made in the noughties or early teens. it's a tower-defence game where you can recruit and customise named NPCs. the setting is based during a plague and all of the characters are quite specifically 'dead' or some variation of undead, or something. i remember something in the game being referred to as a revenant, but i can't recall if it was an enemy or ally. i think the game used pixel art. very early in the game you escape a dungeon or jail cell or something along those lines. the game includes a variety of classes, but the main focus was in combatting undead being controlled by a powerful enemy.

Pixelhunter

Dec 21, 2014
HotPocky said:
it's not a necessarily "old" game that i'm trying to recall, but it was made in the noughties or early teens. it's a tower-defence game where you can recruit and customise named NPCs. the setting is based during a plague and all of the characters are quite specifically 'dead' or some variation of undead, or something. i remember something in the game being referred to as a revenant, but i can't recall if it was an enemy or ally. i think the game used pixel art. very early in the game you escape a dungeon or jail cell or something along those lines. the game includes a variety of classes, but the main focus was in combatting undead being controlled by a powerful enemy.
Ah, "Defender's Quest", hopefully, I even have it installed atm.
It's also available on Steam, maybe a little cheaper there. But generally I'd wait for a sale. 13 bucks is a tad high, IMO.

Spiffers

Mar 20, 2018
Hey all, trying to find a game I played years ago. It's a point and click adventure pre-2000 (I feel like it's probably pre-1997 at least, but definitely pre-2000). The main plot point I remember is that there is a princess in a castle that you can meet pretty early on, but she alludes to the fact that she also a dragon (and that she's not actually a maiden stranded in a tower).
I also remember that somewhere in the game you use the colours of the rainbow (ROYGBIV) to solve a puzzle, and I'm pretty sure you dunk a bucket full of... something gross... on someone's head to get past them at some point.
I can picture a few of the scenes if someone wants more detail, but they'd be difficult to describe, and I'm not sure if how much I'm simply embellishing them in my mind either, given what I remember vs the graphics of the era don't match up.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Spiffers said:
Hey all, trying to find a game I played years ago. It's a point and click adventure pre-2000 (I feel like it's probably pre-1997 at least, but definitely pre-2000). The main plot point I remember is that there is a princess in a castle that you can meet pretty early on, but she alludes to the fact that she also a dragon (and that she's not actually a maiden stranded in a tower).
I also remember that somewhere in the game you use the colours of the rainbow (ROYGBIV) to solve a puzzle, and I'm pretty sure you dunk a bucket full of... something gross... on someone's head to get past them at some point.
I can picture a few of the scenes if someone wants more detail, but they'd be difficult to describe, and I'm not sure if how much I'm simply embellishing them in my mind either, given what I remember vs the graphics of the era don't match up.
Just a random guess, but could that have been Blazing Dragons?

Spiffers

Mar 20, 2018
Nope, definitely not Blazing Dragons. When I put those cue words I've used in a Google Search, that's inevitably the first thing that pops up constantly. On that note... I'm wondering if the game I'm remembering even had a character on screen. I think the game may very well have been from a first-person perspective (or at least not showing your character on screen). This could also be wrong, but that's the joy of a less than 10-year-old mind at the time.

EDIT: Also, just to clear things up a little - the princess CLAIMS to be a dragon, but is visually anthropomorphic (may be an elf or something, but obviously looking generally human)

mrezapbs

Sep 29, 2017
Hi guys! Thanks to you guys I have found name of every game that I used to play as a kid! There are only two games that are missing and I'm still looking for them. These are the things I remember about this "Zoo" game:
1. There was this zoo but it isn't zoo tycoon. You control this zoo but you can't control the size of animal cages.
2. There were different types of workers for your zoo: a) The white workers who were scientists and they would discover new animals and Buildings. b) blue dressing workers who would stop your building from being destroyed by earthquake c)Gray wearing workers who would clean your zoo. there were also red wearing workers who would sell stuffs at zoo stores.
3. Visitors come to the zoo by a bus.
4. You could use money for advertising for your zoo to radio, newspaper and TV.
5. I remember playing this game around age of 8 or 9. so it would be around 2002 or 03 maybe 04.
6. They funny thing about this game was that visitors could only walk on the tiles. so if there wasn't any tile in your zoo they would circle around themselves. They would also pee on the ground if there was no bathroom.
7. I remember the icon for starting the game was a Panda.
8. And I've got this sense that this game was sort of Japanese. Also everything was written in English.
I have searched for years for the name of this games but haven't been successful. Please guys! if you remember the name of this game let me know! thanks a million.

Ellie41992

Mar 13, 2018
I have a new request, longshot but here it goes.

So this PC game was from 90s/00s and was like Disney Magic Artist and the likes, there were a few painting games at the time. However the one I can remember had a coral sponge in it, which washed colour away I think and the magic artist doesn't have that. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you

yarintop

Mar 17, 2015
yarintop said:
I've got three old games that I looked everywhere and this is my only hope...

1. You play as a ghost in a side scrolling 2D world and there are 13 (I think) worlds, as a ghost you could jump on enemies' heads and press the down key and you would transform into them and then you could use their abilities.

2. You play as a ball that hits walls and he can only break walls with the same color as him, he can also change colors (I don't really remember but I think he needs to touch certain walls to change colors)

3. You play as a samurai in a 3D world and you fights hordes of enemies, I remember that he could use a straw and spitballs as an attack.

thank you very much for your help :D
bumping from four years ago....
I have found the first game,

I can't find the second game anywhere

and the third game as well... in the third game it could have been sleeping darts.

another game i'm trying to find was on windows 95, side scroller where you used weapons, and I remember on the first level that there were two platforms one above the other and a short enemy in the next platform, the game looked like blackthorne but I don't think it was it. thanks in advance

madhatter1984

Apr 17, 2018
mrezapbs said:
Hi guys! Thanks to you guys I have found name of every game that I used to play as a kid! There are only two games that are missing and I'm still looking for them. These are the things I remember about this "Zoo" game:
1. There was this zoo but it isn't zoo tycoon. You control this zoo but you can't control the size of animal cages.
2. There were different types of workers for your zoo: a) The white workers who were scientists and they would discover new animals and Buildings. b) blue dressing workers who would stop your building from being destroyed by earthquake c)Gray wearing workers who would clean your zoo. there were also red wearing workers who would sell stuffs at zoo stores.
3. Visitors come to the zoo by a bus.
4. You could use money for advertising for your zoo to radio, newspaper and TV.
5. I remember playing this game around age of 8 or 9. so it would be around 2002 or 03 maybe 04.
6. They funny thing about this game was that visitors could only walk on the tiles. so if there wasn't any tile in your zoo they would circle around themselves. They would also pee on the ground if there was no bathroom.
7. I remember the icon for starting the game was a Panda.
8. And I've got this sense that this game was sort of Japanese. Also everything was written in English.
I have searched for years for the name of this games but haven't been successful. Please guys! if you remember the name of this game let me know! thanks a million.

Zoo Empire, perhaps

Donkey456

Jul 19, 2013
Hey guys i hope you can help me out
I remember playing a DEMO game that came with Joker (computer magazine), it had to be around 2001-2004. So it was mideval age game (knight and sword fighting and stuff) and you started as woman "knight" wearing armor and you had to attack (or defend) the city when you came to the city door you got 2 more character and you could switch between them, one of the character had a morning star for sure or a club with spike, while the main woman you were playing had sword and shinning armor. It was 3D game it was quite nice and good graphic if i recall right XD and you were looking at character in the back like in GTA series.

Pixelhunter

Dec 21, 2014
Donkey456 said:
Hey guys i hope you can help me out
I remember playing a DEMO game that came with Joker (computer magazine), it had to be around 2001-2004. So it was mideval age game (knight and sword fighting and stuff) and you started as woman "knight" wearing armor and you had to attack (or defend) the city when you came to the city door you got 2 more character and you could switch between them, one of the character had a morning star for sure or a club with spike, while the main woman you were playing had sword and shinning armor. It was 3D game it was quite nice and good graphic if i recall right XD and you were looking at character in the back like in GTA series.
Try "Wars and Warriors: Joan or Arc" (2004), it's on sale too.
There's mods to make it run on higher resolutions, but it's rather a pain to get it to work, maybe just play it as it is.

Nicolau Isac Passos

Jan 30, 2018
I hope anyone could help me with this game.
There's this one adventure point and click game, in which you're a little bear having a picnic or something (I'm not sure) with your bear family, and then a lightning storm or something (again, I'm not sure, I barely remember anything from the game) happens and your entire family disappears/goes missing, and you're supposed to find each one of them.