Old games you remember playing, but can't remember the name of

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
DOS game: you play some kind of handyman looking to get his tools back (hammer, spanner, drill, etc). Game is a series of puzzle rooms in isometric perspective and it was very easy to screw yourself into a game over with the wrong move. And incidentally if anybody knows where I can get it I'd appreciate it.

NinJexLT

Apr 2, 2017
Country
Lithuania
DOS game: you play some kind of handyman looking to get his tools back (hammer, spanner, drill, etc). Game is a series of puzzle rooms in isometric perspective and it was very easy to screw yourself into a game over with the wrong move. And incidentally if anybody knows where I can get it I'd appreciate it.
Is it Contraption Zack? 3569-3-contraption-zack.jpgt3569-1-contraption-zack.jpg3569-2-contraption-zack.jpg
Download link

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't know about the game but there are a bunch of abandonware sites out there with a lot of dos games.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Česko
Okay so, it was a fighting/adventure game in isometric view, you played as a fighter I think, it took place on some high building rooftops in the city, third person and 3D kinda retro looking rotating points (100, 500, 1000, 2000 etc.). I think it's from the year 1995 - 2005. That's all I can remember sadly :(

Canzerastor

Sep 28, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm new here and looking for two games for about 20 years, but didn't find out the names; one on PS1 and the other on SNES.

Description to the game on PS1:

1. Released at the beginning of PS1, in the 1st and 2nd year of console release; language is English
2. Only left-to-right side moving, no 3D
3. Beat'em Up without guns, only with swords, or generally close combat weapons and bare hands

4. Magic can be used, but not that much
5. 2 players could play at the same time, if alone there is a 2nd npc who helps you a little bit
6. Story is about a magic sword which has to be sealed, so the main character, male, does have it, but can't use it in the first 4 levels. After that the sword will be "stolen", and he has to regain it from the evil beings; from level 5 on the easy path he will have and use a normal sword.

7. The game has two paths:
7.a. The easy one with 10/11 levels
7.b. The hard one with 4+? - in level 4 you have to choose to give up the sword to a big bad boss, if yes, then it'll be the easy path and he will spare your life, if not, you have to fight him. Normally not possible because he is too powerful.

8. After each level you have about 10-15 points you can give 6-7 different attributes like strength, defense, magic, agility, ???; these points will be added in big strokes after the ability's name and can't be changed after the choice. Each ability has about 20-30 strokes and each character begins with 5-10, I think.
9. I think you can choose between up to 4 characters for the whole story and replay the game with better attributes after a walkthrough like "The Bouncer" on PS2.
10. The boss in level 4 which gives you the choice can fly around, so in that mode you can only hit him with magic. The main male protagonist will shoot two small energy balls to him, each time you use magic. You only have to use magic, and these balls will fly automatically to the enemy. These energy balls are similar to the fire, ice and electro energy balls from the last form of Dr. Wily in MegaMan 7 where he appears and disappears shooting three energy balls at MegaMan.

Description to the game on SNES:

1. Released in the middle of the SNES time, but before 1999; language is English
2. Only left-to-right side moving
3. Shoot'em Up with a space ship, but slow, comparable to the R-Type and Gradius series

4. You can choose at the beginning of the game between 5 planets
5. You will get different powerups, I think depending which spaceship you choose
6. Each planet equates to two levels with a boss at the end of the level, the 1st in the space, the 2nd on the planet

7. A boss of the space level of one of the planets was a giant golden Matryoshka doll which was rotating around his own axis.
8. There were two planet levels of two different planets which were jungles.
9. There was one planet level which had a striking orange sunset/sunrise over the whole level and was the easiest choice of the game at the beginning.

10. Two of the powerups were like mirrowed "C" and the better one after that like tall ")".

I already asked many people at game conventions several times if they could think of a game, but couldn't tell me for years. So I looked on the net and also bought two new Japanese compendiums of all SNES games released in Japan with pictures about a year ago, but didn't find it either. 3 months ago I discovered this forum with this topic.

I thank you very much for your help and am really looking forward to it :)

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I played this game in the hazy days of my youth, but I don't think it was very popular. You play as some sort of tradesman (maybe an electrician, or a carpenter?) on a mission of some description for the local monarchy. I'm not really sure what it consisted of beyond crushing the local wildlife and destroying boxes for money and valuables. Occasionally you'd loot castles for valuables and kill the residing dragon, liberating it's prisoners in the process. I don't remember what you were looking for, but it was always somewhere else. The gameplay mainly consisted of the tradesman performing acrobatics to enact his destruction, but I think at some points he learned to use his magic powers to summon fire? Also, I think he was addicted to drugs, shrooms in particular. I dunno, it was kind of a weird mishmash of tropes now that I think about it, but it was really fun.

I hope somebody can help me find this game, I've been looking for it for a long time.

Edit: Thinking a bit more, I think it came bundled with a hunting simulation. One of those immersive affairs that you need accessories to play. I never owned the gun so I didn't play it.
Nevermind

Extaroon

May 20, 2020
Country
Deutschland
Since i got no reply i just try once more (i guess it was shitty to read?). (y)

I am looking for a game from the mid to late 90s.

You maneuvered a hovering aircraft in isometric view.
You were flying through canyons and other terrains and fought other aircraft.

I remember one enemy craft, that made a shrieking sound when you came in sight,
then it charged and rammed you like a rhino.

Your weapons were mounted to the top of your vehicle and aimed independently from your movement.
Your vehicle was affected by innertia. When you stopped, your vehicle would move on.
When you shot a big gun, the repulsion would make your vehicle drift.
If i remember correctly, you took damage hitting canyon walls or enemies.

There were crash sites with people you could pick up if you hovered over them.

I remember enjoying this game a lot. Please someone remember the title. :)

Oct 1, 2020
Country
Australia
Hi all

Not sure if I will be able to describe the game well enough, but if memory serves it is a PC rpg game (worst case could have been a PS2) and it was similar to Baldur's Gate (but not BG) and in the character selection screen, I faintly remember you would choose a class of sorts - but it was then you had to choose an element or affiliation and the selection was a ring/circle of people (perhaps like gods or deities) and one was a Circe like woman (could actually have been named Circe) who was connected to nature/elements and her area of the circle was green. The screen was overhead as you were choosing amongst the circle.

It would have been mid-late 90s or very early 00s.

Sorry not much help otherwise!

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Since i got no reply i just try once more (i guess it was shitty to read?).
It's probably more that there's a lot of obscure games it could be and not many people keep tabs on this thread. Most of the posts in these threads go unanswered because it's not easy to identify a game from 20 years ago by a vague description.

Sorry, I don't know the game you're looking for either.

NinJexLT

Apr 2, 2017
Country
Lithuania
I mean I'm just throwing shit at a wall, since I can't quite remember but is there any chance that it was Sacred?
Could it be Rage of Mages II: Necromancer?
These are the ones I could think of.
Sadly those weren't the ones either. I'm starting to think that either the company vanished without a trace including it's game and it was deleted from global history, or I have a vivid imagination and poor memory.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Since no one seems to be answering, I'll add this as well: In the first game, leveling up was pretty important because even 1 level difference made enemies much harder. Equipment damage color went in 3 stages: Clear, slighly red, red (broken). I don't remember if there were areas and loading screens for them, but when you leave the starting area, you traverse through a forest, there is at least 1 wolf there. The mage? class started with a quarterstaff as a weapon, was weak in general. Brute, well, he had high strength, high vitality, but without armor, it's really easy to die. At the time the game was too hard for me so at most, I reached like level 4. I can't remember if you got skill points or not, but like I mentioned previously leveling is pretty important in that.
View attachment 996
Tried recreating the village in paint, this is as close as I can make out the village from memory.
Could that have been Legend of the North: Konung? The last screenshot from that link looks a bit like the Blacksmith in your picture.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Sadly those weren't the ones either. I'm starting to think that either the company vanished without a trace including it's game and it was deleted from global history, or I have a vivid imagination and poor memory.
Probably just a game I haven't hear of, there are a lot of ARPGs I don't know about, but looking up every single ARPG that has ever existed is something I'm not really in the mood to do, so it's just that I'm unlikely to have your answer, but the game is probably somewhere out there.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Hmmm, I was just thinking and I seem to remember a game where you take photos of the past. I'm pretty sure it was some Japanese visual novelly type game. Hmm, was it The World Ends With You? Or was it an anime? I'm not really sure.

Edit: Nevermind it was The World Ends With You. Should have just spent a bit more time Googling before posting. Hmm, maybe I should replay that game again sometime!

Last edited:

Crystal Violet

2020: I have not gotten over the scarf thing
Legacy
Sep 22, 2020
Paris
Country
France
There was a game I watched my cousin play about 20 years ago and he wouldn't let me play. It was a game where you can choose Mickey Mouse or Donald and I think the first level was in the sky climbing plants. I always wanted to find that game again but I refuse to ask my cousin because he's a dick and it's not strictly relevant but his dad always smelled a bit like anis seeds.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
There was a game I watched my cousin play about 20 years ago and he wouldn't let me play. It was a game where you can choose Mickey Mouse or Donald and I think the first level was in the sky climbing plants. I always wanted to find that game again but I refuse to ask my cousin because he's a dick and it's not strictly relevant but his dad always smelled a bit like anis seeds.
Sounds... vivid. Anyways I think that game was World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Reactions: Crystal Violet

Crystal Violet

2020: I have not gotten over the scarf thing
Legacy
Sep 22, 2020
Paris
Country
France

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
That does fit the description almost perfectly but I'm picturing something slightly different. It is important for me to realise that I was probably 6 or 7 when I played it and years of drug abuse has not particularly improved my memory.
Well what do you know, there is another game it could be: Disney's Magical Quest 3 Starring Mickey & Donald owning a Genesis/Mega Drive growing up, I haven't played this one, so it didn't occur to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crystal Violet