Old social values you could get behind

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Sleekit said:
if children "should" be anything at all they should be free to be children.
Yeah but there's a time and a place for children to be children.At home,parks,playgrounds etc. work away run around all you want and shout your little lungs out.In places like restaurants,shops and cinemas however parents should take other people and staff into consideration and control their children.If you can't control them in these places then you shouldn't bring them to these places

It sucks that you had to put up with that shit when you were young but I don't think the OP was suggesting that kids should be beaten.Just told to shut up every now and then in public

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Eh. I like the new way of things.
Sorry to go against the thread.
I am of the belief that its none of my business what others think or do if it doesn't affect me. None of the values I can think from the past reflect that as well as it is shown now.

And, just as a point on OP's children should neither be seen nor heard thing. It should go both ways. Understand if you don't like them, then they(We? I'm still a kid at heart...) don't like you much either. You don't want them in your movies? Fine. But stay away from the cinema yourself in times they are likely to be there.
This goes more for older children I guess, but I'm assuming hes going for all children and not just the screaming toddler stage.

giles

Feb 1, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Toplessness being discouraged both among men and women. Men, keep your shirts on, please.
Why don't you just look away instead?

If I go running at 30+°C you're gonna see my sweaty upper body either directly or through the thin, wet fabric of my shirt. I'd like to think that's still less disgusting than seeing a random sloth in a T-shirt and I don't see anyone making a big deal out of that

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
grey_space said:
I would like to bring back the code duello. People wold talk less shite and be infinitely more courteous if they knew that they would be called ou for being shits. Also, everyone would train more because they would have to. And violent individuals would would have both a legal outlet and a way of keeping themselves off the streetss attacking innocent people.
While I agree with what you're saying, no need to say it twice ;) just an fyi that this was double posted. Here and 2 comments down.

Death_Cometh

Jul 24, 2014
grey_space said:
I would like to bring back the code duello. People wold talk less shite and be infinitely more courteous if they knew that they would be called ou for being shits. Also, everyone would train more because they would have to. And violent individuals would would have both a legal outlet and a way of keeping themselves off the streetss attacking innocent people.
The problem is not the children, children will be children because they don't know how to be anything else. The problem is parents who don't understand that there are appropriate places for children and there are places that are not appropriate for children. A restaurant that specifically caters for children (eg Chucky cheese) is an appropriate place for them. An up market restaurant where people want to talk and have a drink with no activities for children is not an appropriate place and it is up to the parents and not the children to know to make that distinction.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much being kind/ consider towards others like I always hold the door back for anyone behind me or given up my seat for an elderly in a packed bus. Also my consideration is now ten fold now that I worked in retail (anyone that dare entered a store during closing time is an ass!).

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
'A man (or woman) is only as good as his/her word.'

The Confederate right to counter malicious slander with a duel challenge. Not to the death, but just something that might make muckrakers think twice before spewing their bile on national television. Nowadays you can run into a press conference and scream 'THAT MAN HAS NAZI TOURETTES!' and 5% of people might believe you and defend you.

Live a good life. If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are Gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.
This.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Suits. Every man should wear a suit to anything. And hats.
I'm talking full 1930-40s proto-noir suits and ties and matching hats. I have a theory that the combined gentlemen-ness of all those suits will form a gestalt consciousness who speaks fully in noir monologues.

And ladies! Red dresses and fashionable hats! You know of Halloween you unleash the inner sexy cat/nurse/teacher/policeofficer/ANYTHING? Just imagine unleashing the inner Femme Fatale.

Long black cigarettes, smoky jazz clubs, calling people 'dames' and 'doll' and 'mac'. Good times.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Entitled said:
Purity culture.

Well, I would prefer a more gender-neutral version of it, where women don't get singled out with slut-shaming like they always were and are. But in principle, I would prefer it if everyone would be encouraged to keep their pants on.
I agree. By no means am I a prude and I definitely don't believe in staying a virgin until your married but it's just gotten a little out of hand now. It's like it's become a competition or something and it sends the wrong message that you're only worth something if people want to sleep with you. If it happens it happens and it's not something to be embarrassed about but when you go out every weekend just looking for some action then you probably need a good look at your life.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Nothing really TBH.

Vault101 was right earlier about romanticization of the past, people have always been lazy, dishonest assholes. The only reason people idolize the 50s is because it was a time of economic prosperity (assuming you were a straight, white male) which for the past decade the US economy was in the gutters. Rose-tinted glasses are bound to happen in that case.

Also it's weird that I seem to be the only person on this board that likes kids.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Honour, dignity, respect, pride; and I'm not talking about the "I must keep this secret to preserve my honour", I mean people holding themselves accountable for their own actions. Taking responsibility, that kind of thing. Very few people seem to hold these values these days, some even laugh them off as medieval, mostly people who prefer "Money, Power, and Status" or "Greed is good". God how I hate those people.
No-one was actually like that (or at least any more than they are today). Honour especially was largely an excuse to take revenge for any slight felt against you; Stuart England was like living in modern Juarez but with personal feuds as the cause of violence instead of cartels. The only reason that idea exists is because everyone complains about the generation after them.

To quote Socrates, ?Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.?

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
-Old-school dating/relationship trends. Yes yes, I know, sexism, misogyny, etc, but it was kinda nice how incredibly cut and dry things were back then. There was no question of who picks up the check, who's going to work full time, who calls who, who pops the question, who makes the major decisions, etc. Obviously more freedom is great, but having basically no grey area has its perks too.

-Agreed that more children discipline needs to come back, along with more parental responsibility and courtesy. It's gotten to the point now where Alamo Drafthouse is the only movie theater I'll go to, because so many people bring their screaming toddlers into movies (even R rated movies!) and won't take them outside when they get loud that it just becomes ridiculous. Even when I was growing up, I remember that parents would immediately bring their kids out of the theater when they began crying or yelling, please bring that back.

-More push for the Nuclear family. This one shouldn't even really be a "value", studies have shown again and again that kids raised in 2 parent households almost overwhelmingly do better than kids raised in single-parent households.

-Fistfights. It used to be that people who were angry at someone else wouldn't just go get a gun and shoot that person. Why? Because shooting an unarmed person was considered incredibly cowardly, so you would fight that person. Sure you might lose, but at least you stood up for yourself with courage. I'm convinced that this idea dying out is a big reason why school shootings happen so much more frequently (that's my conspiracy theory, at least).

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Lilani said:
Entitled said:
Purity culture.
All purity culture really does is make people ashamed of their sexuality and unable to cope with it when the time is "right."

http://thoughtcatalog.com/samantha-pugsley/2014/08/i-waited-until-my-wedding-night-to-lose-my-virginity-and-i-wish-i-hadnt/
In fairness, that's pretty anecdotal. I know a devout Christian woman who says she and her husband were virgins until their wedding night and the sex she's had since then (apparently on a basis that makes me feel ashamed of my own lack of stamina) has been uniformly great.

That said, I am not a fan of equating sexual activity with impurity. Sexuality is natural, not shameful.

As to what old values I could get behind...eh. I can't think of any off the top of my head, or at least not ones that I believe were actually held in more than lip service, like "word is bond" and all that. I kind of admire people who dressed nicely in the good ol' days, but for that to be a value and an expectation rather than a personal choice just seems totalitarian.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Silentpony said:
Suits. Every man should wear a suit to anything. And hats.
I'm talking full 1930-40s proto-noir suits and ties and matching hats. I have a theory that the combined gentlemen-ness of all those suits will form a gestalt consciousness who speaks fully in noir monologues.

And ladies! Red dresses and fashionable hats! You know of Halloween you unleash the inner sexy cat/nurse/teacher/policeofficer/ANYTHING? Just imagine unleashing the inner Femme Fatale.

Long black cigarettes, smoky jazz clubs, calling people 'dames' and 'doll' and 'mac'. Good times.
Basically it looks like picking anything that is considered an 'old social value' will get you an explanation of why it was bad, so I think I'll second this!

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Phrozenflame500 said:
Nothing really TBH.

Vault101 was right earlier about romanticization of the past, people have always been lazy, dishonest assholes. The only reason people idolize the 50s is because it was a time of economic prosperity (assuming you were a straight, white male) which for the past decade the US economy was in the gutters. Rose-tinted glasses are bound to happen in that case.

Also it's weird that I seem to be the only person on this board that likes kids.
Echoing this.
Also, I love kids. Kids are great.

OT:

I really cannot think of any old social values that I'd like. I'm not huge on old dating values, I'm a big fan of divorce, and the past had a tendency to be more everything-ist.

Heh, this reminds me of the other week when I was sitting reading a book while waiting for my bus and two old ladies at the bus stop decided to have an extremely loud and racist conversation about how Britain isn't Britain any more because foreigners.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I can't think of any that wouldn't negatively impact me or someone I know and care about.

Phrozenflame500 said:
For what it's worth, I like kids. I'm not sure I want to have any, though.