Old zombies or new 'running' zombies?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I prefer the old zombies. You can make fun of them just like in Dawn of the Dead but if you don't look at them they are fast as hell!

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
28 Days Later zombies for sure! I wonder what it would be like if that really happened??? Probably pretty jacked up!!!

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
I personally think that they Can Be Fast At first, but as they start to Degrade they should get Slower and slower and begin falling apart

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
slow zombies are okay, but I prefer the faster more logical zombies, but than again I also see a difference, slow zombies are magic beings, they are "dead but still walking", while fast zombies are usually explained and aren't really "undead" in that sense.

Reversed Insanity

Jun 4, 2008
Old zombies all the way.

The old ones were so much better as in that world you could just keep surviving going on looking for supplies until you finally crack and either shoot yourself aftering going insane from being hunted all the time or mess up after sheer exhaustion. You could last months or years with old zombies.

At least with the new wave of running infected (i refuse to call them the z word) you know that you're going to be dead within a couple of days or weeks at a push so its more like a morbid holiday. I also find it hard to believe that after death everyone becomes athletic sprinters capable of catching up with vehicles.

R-C

Nov 27, 2008
Slow zombies for the win.

Although I have to agree that the fast infected type are more scary when faced and more fun to do battle against in a game, there's something special about the slow variety.

Maybe it's cause I grew up with the older slow version, but that's what a real zombie is to me.
That and in case the zombie-pocalypse hits any time soon, the slower ones would give me more of a fighting chance.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
The old school slow zombies. Way easier to kill but they do have numbers on their side.

AwesomeHat

Jan 17, 2008
I wouldn't last five minutes if a fast-zombie scenario ever occured, I smoke too damn much.

I need at least enough time to stop, roll a smoke, light up, and stroll along enjoying my cigarette after a kill, so slow zombies would do me nicely. Not to mention they're slightly more likely - zombies being decaying, afterall.. kinda indicates they'd be all slow and mouldy.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Fast zombies are pretty fun, but I think I prefer slow zombies. They add more suspense and horror to the proceedings, fast zombies are just for action. I'd prefer a mutilated, hideous slow zombie shambling up to someone out of the shadows while they're not paying attention over a horde of fast zombies charging at someone out in the open so fast you can barely even see what they look like.

Besides, fast zombies make no sense. If something causes dead bodies to start moving around, and they're all decayed and torn up, as you would expect a zombie to be, why would that allow their muscles to get some sort of superpowered boost and allow them to run so fast? Besides, you'd think that zombies wouldn't even have enough intelligence to decide where they want to go that fast.

Sensenmann

Oct 16, 2008
I dont really mind.

If someone wants to go either way, i dont mind, as long as its still exiting.

I love zombies, but im fed up of everyone taking literature on zombies as if it were the Zombie Bible, such as the way people pretend that a book called The Zombie Survival Guide is the ultimate word.

SnurreFisk

Jul 29, 2008
i to do prefer a healthy mix of the two. I mean, say an infection broke out ( like in l4d) Some of the people has got to be more resistance and therefore stronger and faster, while the weaker once will break their legs as soon as they take a step!

Drift-Bus

Sep 17, 2008
BaronAsh said:
I find the slow zombies to be a bit more realistic then zoombies.
Bah boom tish!

Nice

i like the slow zombies, While the running ones cause panic, and you say you could outrun the slow zombies, eventually 50,000 shambling corpses will swarm you, much scarier. It's immenient, but painfully slow.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I'd like to see them combined, where a freshly turned human can still run and jump, but the older slightly decayed zombies, lose most of their mobility and start to shamble along.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Old 'uns, just because they managed to sneak up on you, when they took about a step every 5 minutes, you always had one right behind you.

LOOY

Apr 14, 2008
The New zombies are much more believable, how the hell are slow zombies meant to catch anyone in the first place?

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
...I like the slow, naked zombies that like to jump on your back and...well...do naughty things to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqUlS0Iss7U&feature=related Thank heavens I have a shield blocking me!

The mixture works well. Recently turned should sprint at you with the fear and hatred that the dying victim had. Once the human aspect has completely faded from the corpse, the zombie should start slowing down, and once they deteriorate, be slow and just a nasty mass of meat shuffling towards you.

MeTheMe

Jun 13, 2008
Me, I like the slow, shambling zombies, either sneaking up on you or coming in waves too large to fight off. It gives the atmosphere a fear that has to build up slowly, knowing that they're there or coming, but that there's nothing you can do about it.

Fast zombies aren't bad, I just prefer slow ones. Fast zombies are more for action, and like in I Am Legend, the action really only gets scary when you're alone.

Jul 9, 2008
D_987 said:
A healthy mix of the two.
That's how I view it, almost like what was done in HL2 with headcrab zombies; you got your slow ones, your fast ones, and ones that attack from a distance.

Personally, I prefer fast zombies. Somehow, re-animated corpses moving slow just seems more, lack of a better term, natural. Corpses that not only rise again but can move quickly, regardless of all pain a normal human would feel, is just unsettling.

EDIT:
Reversed Insanity said:
I also find it hard to believe that after death everyone becomes athletic sprinters capable of catching up with vehicles.
Exactly. That's why its so frightening, because, ignoring that they shouldn't rise in the first place, they shouldn't be able to do that.

Nov 12, 2008
The only problem I have with the new Dawn Of The Dead is that they changed the rules, you have to be bitten in the new movies, in the old Romero movies you could be bitten or you could simply die and you would become one, that way was much creepier. People die every day so the zombies would have a nearly never ending stream of replacements. As far as fast zombies go, just set up a mini-gun, they may be fast but six-thousand rounds per minute is a hell of a lot faster.

Akas

Feb 7, 2008
The way I view it:

Slow zombies = Suspense
Fast Zombies = Action

Although I don't believe in Max Brook's guide religiously, the part he says about people going crazy due to the constant moaning of zombies is something that I could definitely believe, and I think that is scarier than any running horde any day. One way is a quick, violent death, one that'd be over in moments, but the other is like a descent into madness, forcing yourself to survive in a constant nightmare.