Old zombies or new 'running' zombies?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Slow zombies. I would think that rotting, reanimate remains would move slowly, what with the massive nerve and muscle damage. Also zombies are the slow, swarm movie monsters as opposed to the single, fast deadly movie monsters like the wolf-man or Dracula. There really aren't enough slow, swarm movie monsters.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
Clairaudient said:
It used to be about the social breakdown of a group of survivors against the slow horror.
Wow, good analysis. I like that.

Personally- running zombies scare the shit out of me.

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
Darkness62 said:
The infected in 28 Days Later are not zombies. Zombies or Undead can't die from starvation.
They move and act like zombies. They are mindless hordes, hence they are zombies. Just 'Our zombies are different'. I mean, some zombies are soul suckers.

Anyways, I'd say while running zombies present an immediate threat, slower zombies are more about an oppressive atmosphere. They're just a slow shifting horde, a metaphorical unforgiving sea surrounding the few havens for survivors. And eventually they'll break in, it's just a matter of time. It's not about a desperate struggle for survival, it's about getting ready to die because there isn't an escape. No semblance of an escape, no need to continue the story if they go elsewhere by creating some contrived accident (Looking at you, zombie in the plane of celebrities), they're screwed no matter where they go. They can't buy time forever.

Maybe that's part of the reason I didn't much care for Land of the Dead but liked Diary of the Dead a bit more.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Well, I've always found that it depends on the number. A huge amount of slow zombies, so many that you wouldn't ever be able to take them all down, that's scary if you ask me. But a smaller horde of running zombies is scary too. The point of zombies is to be scary, so whatever is scary works for me.

Ridley200

Jun 9, 2008
Resident Evil REmake zombies ftw. they had the slow ambling nature of dawn of the dead zombies, but made sense to add a bit of zoombie when they got close enough to realise "oi, maybe i want to nibble on 'im for a bit"

edit: it also makes sense that sense they're just out to eat and not much else, they'd save their energy for when something got close enough to take a chunk out of. (as opposed to the dogs (again in resi evil) who would have a more efficient muscle structure left, and be able to run more often)

TheCheesy4

He thinks he's people.
Nov 21, 2008
Slow zombies every time. Althought they're better when sprinkled with some big, mutant thingys from Left 4 Dead or maybe even Resident Evil.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Sewblon said:
We need flying zombies so that hiding on roofs wouldn't work.
Until you starve to death?
I mean't that if people tried to hide on roofs the flying zombies could fly up to them.(arrogant snort)

Canadianwookie

Oct 9, 2008
Although the zombies of today are cool and totally ultra scary, I prefer the old fashioned ones. The real horror of zombies is seeing other human beings, whom you know and love, as mindless killing machines. Fast zombies just don't have the same effect and are just, well.... zombies.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Fresh blood zombies should be fairly fast and should be a very large immediate threat, however as time goes on the zombies become malnourished as their food supply (people) becomes more scarce. As their bodies detiorate they become slower and slower, and less physicially able to move until eventually they are the stumbling, fagile creatures common to classic horror films.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Sewblon said:
runtheplacered said:
Sewblon said:
We need flying zombies so that hiding on roofs wouldn't work.
Until you starve to death?
I mean't that if people tried to hide on roofs the flying zombies could fly up to them.(arrogant snort)
You said that hiding on roofs would work, and I was saying "Yeah it'll work until you starve to death." But instead I wrote some other gibberish.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I think it pretty much comes down to whether our noble protaganist has some kind of melee weapon or a firearm.

Firearm = fast zombies for satisfying knockback.

Melee Weapon = slow for long drawn out last stand on growing mountain of corpses.

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
ANTI-SANTA said:
The classic slow moving zombies are okay, but they dont really give us any feeling of dread and fear. As for the faster guys, thats a different story, put in the right context its shit scary. And for the last time, 28 DAYS LATER HAD NO ZOMBIES IN IT! THEY WERE CRAZIES!
latenightapplepie said:
I think it pretty much comes down to whether our noble protaganist has some kind of melee weapon or a firearm.

Firearm = fast zombies for satisfying knockback.

Melee Weapon = slow for long drawn out last stand on growing mountain of corpses.
You're right. They're mindless hordes that run around biting the hell out of people. It's a hard science zombie. Since in all reality having them die and come back as undead rather than alive again makes no scientific sense, you'd need to substitute in a mutated rabies virus to have it fit in the realms of reality.

Oct 16, 2008
Zombies don't have coordination to run unless given time to adapt, which is how they start using blunt objects. The book Cell by Stephen King had a good idea on it: They're like humans stripped down to only their instincts of survival and need for what they want. (Flesh and such in this instance.) Everything else must be relearned, but only to go towards the goal of eating more people.

WeedWorm

Nov 23, 2008
I prefer the Infected (theyre not zombies, theyre Infected) from the likes of L4D and 28 Days Later for games but for movies, zombies just kick ass. Except when they do stupid stuff like learn or talk. That shit just pisses me right the fuck off.