Oldest game you recently played?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Tex Murphy: Mean Streets, 1989. And then I started playing its sequel and got pissed off by all the insta-deaths (well, that and the clunky interface).

Edit:
Vault101 said:
HapexIndustries said:
I played Outcast a couple months ago. It was a PC game that came out in 1999 right when 3D accelerators were taking off... but it didn't use 3D acceleration, so it had this weird Voxel technology. It wasn't too ugly. The game was amazing though.

I try to fire up XCOM once a year or so, just to revel in its awesomeness.
Looked up some images, looks quite interesting

so "Voxel" technology, how was that different to 3d accelerators? can you name any games that used it?
You mean like MineCraft? And here, have a wiki [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel] page.

thousandthson

Mar 27, 2011
In order of recentness (least recent-most recent)
Starcraft brood war
Dawn of war winter assault
Halo 1
Pong

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
It hurts my age pride to see games from the FUTURE YEAR OF 2000!! referenced in an old games thread.

Yeah, yeah, computer phones that do everything are cool, but I'm still pissed I haven't gotten my hoverboard yet.

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
We have a Bubble Bobble (1986) arcade machine at work. I play that at least once a day.

Pinklespork

Nov 21, 2010
Wild Arms the first. PS1. 1998 for PAL
A rented game from back when I was a wee little kid, added to my collection on my birthday last year and finally finished it the other day with the addition of a tv to my room.
Awwwwesome!

SMILEYkyle21

Feb 2, 2009
Just went through and replayed the original Sonic the Hedgehog (1991), which is as old as I am, ahh nostalgia

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Sopwith [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_(computer_game)]. Although that's a little bit of a cheat as its been ported to my phone. Makes a fantastic phone game :)

Vault101 said:
HapexIndustries said:
I played Outcast a couple months ago. It was a PC game that came out in 1999 right when 3D accelerators were taking off... but it didn't use 3D acceleration, so it had this weird Voxel technology. It wasn't too ugly. The game was amazing though.

I try to fire up XCOM once a year or so, just to revel in its awesomeness.
Looked up some images, looks quite interesting

so "Voxel" technology, how was that different to 3d accelerators? can you name any games that used it?
Voxels are 3D shapes as opposed to polygons which are 2D. 3D cards only work with polygons. Aside from Outcast, the early Delta Force games used them. It allowed devs to make massive outdoor environments which you couldn't make in polygons at the time.

Leppy

Feb 1, 2011
Played, and finally finished (20 years after release) Kings Bounty. Amazing game, the predecessor to Heroes of Might and Magic, a great series.

Dan Houghton

Sep 26, 2010
I introduced my Dad to DOSBox the other day and it wasn't long before we were both playing Dungeon Keeper Deeper Dungeons.

Also playing through the Thief series again.