On Difficulty and the State of Gaming.

unbreakable212

Feb 4, 2012
Having the option of an easier difficulty is fine, most games usually have them and it's better as gamers can play the game at their own ability level. Should a game like Dark Souls have an "easy mode"? If the majority want it, sure. But if they removed the option of choosing Normal DS experience instead forcing everyone to play it on easy would be wrong, as everyone can see some people don't want to.

But it doesn't hurt to have the option to make it easier, if you yourself aren't going to use it, why should it bother you if it's even in the game in the first place?

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
You know they game isn't only meant to be enjoyed by you, they aren't taking anything away from you.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
I see your point, but I feel like difficulty in and of itself isn't necessarily what needs to be changed. A lot of games end up doing "difficulty" by simply increasing enemy health and damage. This doesn't make your game interesting. I'd like a game that took a more holistic view to difficulty. Look at it in an RPG context. Don't only make enemies tougher, improve their AI. But also increase the difficulty of some conversations. Difficulty in a lot of games should be about improving your decision-making. Sure, in some games getting better is all about improving your twitch reflexes and muscle memory, but it doesn't always have to be.

(Note: I haven't actually played Dark Souls so I can't comment on it as a game in particular)

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
generals3 said:
I agree with the OP's sentiment. When i watched a review of Tomb Raider i almost threw up. I mean she can use her instinct to "detect" objects of interest? Really? Wtf is that madness.
Isn't the operative word there that you can use that feature and not that you must? Because as long as you're not forced to use the easy mode, why are you bothered?

I have a co-worker who plays a lot of the same games that I do, but does so on lower difficulty levels (or mods games without difficulty levels to make them easier), the fact that that's a possibility for her does nothing to change my experience and if anything I'm happy for her because it means we can discuss the games. I fail to see how keeping a percentage of interested people out is doing anything but hurting sales - and if you're a fan of a game, presumably you want them to sell well so that the same people can continue making games in the future, no?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Gah. This topic again.

I think the Brainscratch Comms group said it best here:

4:03-6:30

The way I like to see things, while I can see a game industry that completely caters to new people to be detrimental to it, I think an industry that completely caters to the "hardcore" crowd can be equally detrimental and cause stagnation.

If it weren't for the option to have an easier setting for most games, I probably wouldn't be playing the kinds of games I play today. I wouldn't have been able to play MGS3, one of my most favorite games of all time, if it didn't give me the option to start at a lower difficulty setting. I probably wouldn't be playing Skullgirls and holding my own against opponents online if it didn't give me the option to start off against easy level CPU opponents and a training mode to practice my moves and combos in.

I say have a little of both. Games and difficulty settings for the veteran gamers and games and difficulty settings for the less experienced gamers.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
GreaterGamingGood said:
but I don't remember anyone asking for an easy mode for Battletoads or Ghouls & Ghosts. Let's be honest with ourselves, those games were awesome /because/ they pushed us to the max.
What sorry you lost me there Battletoads was ruined for a huge amount of people due to the ridiculous difficulty spike in an early extremely crappy hoverbike level if there was an easy mode that allowed you to bypass that level I think the game would have been much better received I played and loved the first and 2nd stages loads of times but seriously fuck you hoverbike level I think I only ever beat it once and then I had bugger all lives left and then its game over dood back to the start.... of the game HAHAHAH! cue turn power off.

As for Ghouls and Ghosts I dont remember if it was that one or Ghosts and Goblins but I remember people complaining about one because in order to finish it properly you had to finish it twice which felt like a huge slap in the face to most people as the game wasnt easy but persevering and then told you gotta do it again didnt sit well with most people.

Zhukov said:
GreaterGamingGood said:
Examples; Tomb Raider (2013) I haven't played it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. But my heart pretty much sank when I found out that you could get a map that showed the locations of all the treasures/artifacts. Shouldn't those be, you know, hidden?
I liked that it did that. Cut down on the tedium. Finding stuff wasn't about systematically combing every inch of the level in a boring and time-wasting fashion. It was about trying to suss out sneaky hiding spots within a given location and find a route to get to them. Much more fun.
I dont often agree with your views sir although I respect your opinion but on this point I agree 100% trawling over a map repeatedly to try and find collectables is not difficult its just needlessly boring and tiresome Tomb Raider did a good job of avoiding this also the treasure maps were in the tombs in some cases so you did have a small challenge if you wanted them.

I havent played Dartk Souls OP only Demons souls so I may be a little off and while I agree the game was fine on the standard difficulty I wouldnt object to an easy mode better that than make the standard mode easier but if dark souls is like demons souls it was not difficult as such it just punished rushing through and not taking stock of your surroundings sure it punished you by killing you but almost all games do this.

In the old days there would be games that would teach you almost solely through killing you this was bad Demons Souls dosent take this approach (and by extension I am assuming dark souls dosent either) there are always signs about that a situation may be dangerous such as blood on the walls a formidable looking enemy off to the side or a mini event showing the danger of a situation its not just bam your dead like in some old games it gives you warning and then kills you if you mess up like any game only its less leniant on those ignoring the warnings this makes it enjoyable and not just a damn memory check about patterns and events.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I'm totally for niche games, but expecting a business to ignore the fairly substantial casual care-bear crowd seems unreasonable. At worst adding an easy mode means a lot more potential sales for the company and maybe some angry posts on forums about selling out.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Options, just give 1 to 10 (from being basicly impossible to die unless you stop holding the controller to an extremelly hard game that not even the developers know if its possible to beat), you dont have to choose 1 or 10 and instead you can choose the one that fits you the most.

If someone wants hard games for the sake of bragging rights (because for some people that makes sense) just go to 8 or 9 and if you can beat the game then you can brag that you beat that difficulty.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
I don't get it. If the people who make Dark Souls can add an easy difficulty, and it doesn't impact your hard core play in any way, wouldn't you want them to get more sales and do better?

What's this about selling out? They're company aren't they? They need more sales to increase the quality of the game. Don't you want them to do better as a company?

I can understand that you have something you like and you don't want it to change but I didn't think the hard part of Dark Souls wasn't changing, just something else was being added on.

Finally, lol@the OP's username. "GreaterGamingGood,"? So, your opinion is the only good one then?

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Raikas said:
Isn't the operative word there that you can use that feature and not that you must? Because as long as you're not forced to use the easy mode, why are you bothered?
Let me answer that with an anecdote. In Civ IV you had the option to turn on/off the ability to use the world builder in game. Now even if it was turned on you didn't have to use it. Yet i ended up turning it off, why? Because when turned on when things got tough it was too tempting to give myself some extra units. I'm a mere human, if there is an easy road thrown at my face it will be hard to say "no". Hence why i prefer it not to be there. You know, if at the very least that "instinct" thing was only available in an easy difficulty mode i wouldn't mind that much as i could avoid the whole thing by playing it in hard mode. But that isn't the case, there is no way to turn off the temptation of "cheating".

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
generals3 said:
Raikas said:
Let me answer that with an anecdote. In Civ IV you had the option to turn on/off the ability to use the world builder in game. Now even if it was turned on you didn't have to use it. Yet i ended up turning it off, why? Because when turned on when things got tough it was too tempting to give myself some extra units. I'm a mere human, if there is an easy road thrown at my face it will be hard to say "no". Hence why i prefer it not to be there. You know, if at the very least that "instinct" thing was only available in an easy difficulty mode i wouldn't mind that much as i could avoid the whole thing by playing it in hard mode. But that isn't the case, there is no way to turn off the temptation of "cheating".
I imagine that an easy mode for Dark Souls would only be accessible from the start, rather than switchable in game.
This would mean that you couldn't just give in to a moment of weakness.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
kailus13 said:
generals3 said:
Raikas said:
I imagine that an easy mode for Dark Souls would only be accessible from the start, rather than switchable in game.
Actually we were talking about this new "instinct" feature in Tomb Raider which basically points out which objects are actionable and such to help you solve puzzles.

ThingInTheCoat

Nov 18, 2009
BuddhaMike said:
I guess I'm lost with this whole discussion. Dark Souls too difficult for you? Then don't play it. Simple as that. Making the game easier won't make it more enjoyable for you, or anyone else for that matter, since the whole purpose of the game was to make it that difficult. Other games have different purposes, and so come with sliding difficulty levels to adjust that player's enjoyment.
I can't understand why people keep suggesting that games have one purpose and one reason anyone might play that game. This just isn't true. If Dark Souls had only one directive -- to challenge -- then why have all the other things it has? Why have character-building, the world lore, the meticulously-crafted creature and environment designs, or anything else, when all the game has to do is just present tremendous but generic obstacles for you to overcome? Why not simply have the exact same game, only without all of those things just mentioned, and instead have it constructed of encounters with simple stick figures within plain, grey corridors. It would have the same gameplay, the same mechanics, the same enemies and level design -- just have all of the extraneous nonsense stripped away, so you're left only with pure, undiluted challenge.

I'll tell you why: Because the game would then be boring garbage. There's more to it than just "being challenging," and some players might prefer these elements over the one overriding directive that everyone seems to espouse about this game.

Take the Devil May Cry series, for instance. It was a franchise renowned not only for its pummeling difficulty, but for the absurdity, audaciousness, and stylishness that it wrapped itself in like a flowery cloak. The developers could have set only one difficulty, but they had the good sense to unlock optional, easier difficulties for players who died too frequently, so that they would not have to utterly struggle to progress or, worse, hit a brick wall that prevented progressing entirely, so that they, too, could enjoy all the other features the game had on offer. Did anyone complain that the games were "dumbed" down by this tiered difficulty? If so, I've never heard them.

Now, having said that, it's ultimately up to the developers to make the game how they please, and if they want it to be crushing one hundred percent of the time, no exceptions, then so be it. That's just their vision. But for gamers -- not the developers, but gamers -- to want to gate people off from these aspects because they lack the abilities or drive to overcome the hurdles the game throws at them, is exclusionary ridiculousness. An easy mode, normal mode, and balls-difficult mode would give everyone exactly what they want, enabling them to take from the game what they wish, while subtracting nothing from anyone. Hell, go one further -- include a some special bosses, loot, and cutscenes for the hardest difficulty, so that people who challenge themselves will be rewarded and incentives will be offered to those who normally wouldn't feel inclined to step up the ante. I fail to see how that would be win-win all around.

Playing the Mass Effect series, however, I WAS Shepard. I was invested in that character, in his relationships, in his quest to save the galaxy. That wouldn't have been enhanced by making the game balls-ass difficult. Quite honestly, it would have interfered with my enjoyment of the game. That's because, for Mass Effect, difficulty wasn't a point of the game. Nor was it for Shen Mue, Uncharted, Dragon Age, or any other number of games I could name. When I play those games, I'm not playing them to achieve that rush that comes from testing myself against a difficult game. Nor do I want it to be that. I want the choice one night to immerse myself in a Choose Your Own Adventure kind of game, and the next night to see if I can beat Contra without using the cheat code. That's the awesome thing about gaming. It's a big enough tent to accommodate both POV's.
This is a part of the problem. Myself, when playing Mass Effect, I slide that difficulty bar to the farthest right it will go. For me, every encounter being risky and challenging adds to each twist and turn and impact of the story, since having Shepard absolutely cream his adversaries at every turn would make the games' threats hollow. I, of course, play it moreso for the story, characters, and setting, but the gunplay is a big part of it, as well. The same goes for when I played Uncharted and Dragon Age. By your reasoning, however, I'm not playing it the "right" way; in fact, by your reasoning, there shouldn't even be a difficulty slider, and should instead be planted squarely on easy, for everyone playing, because anything otherwise would hamper the game's true focus: story.

But I'm sure you don't really think that. Having a difficulty slider on those games detracts nothing from the enjoyment you garner when you're playing for immersion, and adds to the challenge and enjoyment for when I'm playing, and I sincerely doubt you'd argue otherwise.

It goes both ways, however. If I'm getting more enjoyment from challenge in games in which you don't find the appeal in challenge, then why should someone not be permitted to do the inverse in games like Dark Souls?

generals3 said:
Raikas said:
I'd agree that this is a fair point, that always providing an "easy" option that can be toggled on and off would potentially cheapen the experience, even for those who seek a challenge, since the temptation to use it to get past that one really tough part will constantly whisper into your ear. But this is something that simple design decisions could correct. Like you said, making certain overly-empowering or -simplifying abilities isolated into certain difficulty modes would go a long way towards fixing it. Therefore, why would optional difficulty modes themselves not fall under this umbrella? If you're allowed to choose your difficulty once, and only once, it would prevent people from falling back to easy as a simple way out when the going gets rough, since they would lose tremendous amounts of progress by having to start over from the beginning.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
ThingInTheCoat said:
I'd agree that this is a fair point, that always providing an "easy" option that can be toggled on and off would potentially cheapen the experience, even for those who seek a challenge, since the temptation to use it to get past that one really tough part will constantly whisper into your ear. But this is something that simple design decisions could correct. Like you said, making certain overly-empowering or -simplifying abilities isolated into certain difficulty modes would go a long way towards fixing it. Therefore, why would optional difficulty modes themselves not fall under this umbrella? If you're allowed to choose your difficulty once, and only once, it would prevent people from falling back to easy as a simple way out when the going gets rough, since they would lose tremendous amounts of progress by having to start over from the beginning.
Well I think i can best answer that by quoting myself (I feel a bit stupid to copy paste what i wrote above but it seems people didn't notice that part)

Now, in general my biggest issue is that easy gameplay becomes the norm (i think the new tomb raider is a great example of that). Giving the option to play "easy" is one thing but what i'm noticing is that the average difficulty goes down and that on top of that the harder difficulties are difficult in a very artificial way. (just give the mobs +x HP/damage) So what we often have are games which were easy by design and where you can chose an artificial high difficulty. And this is a big slap in the faces of players seeking a challenge.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
generals3 said:
Fair enough, but ultimately that's an issue of player willpower, not a function of the game itself. Since people do play full games on the hardest difficulty when there are easier options, if you yield to the temptation, then doesn't that indicate that you weren't that interested in (or maybe invested in) having the hardest possible experience?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
generals3 said:
kailus13 said:
generals3 said:
Raikas said:
Actually we were talking about this new "instinct" feature in Tomb Raider which basically points out which objects are actionable and such to help you solve puzzles.
Ah ,my mistake. Isn't the instinct feature meant to cut down on trial and error gameplay so people can actually spend more time playing the game instead of figuring out which parts of the enviroment are interactive?

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
TheProfessor234 said:
I don't get it. If the people who make Dark Souls can add an easy difficulty, and it doesn't impact your hard core play in any way, wouldn't you want them to get more sales and do better?

What's this about selling out? They're company aren't they? They need more sales to increase the quality of the game. Don't you want them to do better as a company?

I can understand that you have something you like and you don't want it to change but I didn't think the hard part of Dark Souls wasn't changing, just something else was being added on.

Finally, lol@the OP's username. "GreaterGamingGood,"? So, your opinion is the only good one then?
It's much more complicated then that

The pvp base gets halved-unless you want people on easy mode mingling on hard mode and vice-versa

Enemy design, level design, traps, pitfalls, fire placements all have to be considered when making a game with a certain difficult. Bad roll with enemy on a cliff and you die...etc etc. There are certain levels like the anor londo archers that would not be in the game if it were to be designed to have an easy mode in mind. You would have to cut that entire thing from the game...or on easy mode you can just cut out the archers from the bridge which would be equally poor.

It is possible to make an easy mode without affecting dark souls mode but the Dev's of dark souls are not omnipotent.Sacrifice will be made. Fans of dark souls don't want this to happen so are making their opinion known

If an easy mode was as simple as people think...then they would of just released a patch for dark souls and added an easy mode.
Infact there is an 'easy mode' already..join the way of the white and summon players to help you. That's super easy mode

thanatopsis112

May 20, 2010
ok both sides on this argument are being stupid. It is really simple LET THE DEVELOPERS DECIDE HOW THEY WANT TO MAKE THEIR GAMES. It is quite obnoxious to see both sides of this discussion talking about what is the "right" thing for the developers to do. If the Developers of a game want to make the main focus be the difficulty then thats fine they can make a really hard game and their sales will reflect that its not for everyone and vice versa. But it is quite obnoxious to see everyone including professional critics saying what a developer should do with out looking at what the developer intended including if they wanted the game to be a mass market game or a niche game.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
thanatopsis112 said:
ok both sides on this argument are being stupid. It is really simple LET THE DEVELOPERS DECIDE HOW THEY WANT TO MAKE THEIR GAMES.
Eh, talking about the possibilities does not in any way equal demanding that developers act a certain way.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
many games have difficulty settings, but frankly i'm sick of posters thinking that 'there is no reason not to add an easy mode to dark souls.' how about you take a look at this from the developer's perspective, not just the perspective of an entitled gamer? (to the OP, why did you have to bring this up again?)

if a game is meant to be played offline, like DMC, God of War, Ninja Gaiden Black, then the inclusion of difficulty settings is fairly trivial or was designed into the game in the first place (like additional enemy attacks at higher difficulties).

however, a game that is meant to be played online, as dark souls is, regardless of the offline 'mode' (which is clearly there more as a back up; otherwise, you could choose to play offline from the title screen), then there has to be careful consideration in terms of balance, gear, enemy strength, etc, so that when and if you ever play online with others (co-op or invasion), everything will be as fair as possible. the mechanism in dark souls is your soul level, you can only play with others near your soul level. and you can increase your difficulty by beating the game again, the base level is the 'easy mode.'

another game that is similar in its single-player/multi-player aspect is diablo 2/3. you can play them completely single-player if you wish, but the enemies rebalance if you co-op. it also has difficulty levels, and you start on easy (normal), and beat the game to get to harder difficulties.

i'm only against difficulty levels when it would be a detriment to the design of the game. who decides that? me. but who decides that from the game's perspective? the developers, not me or you. sorry that for dark souls, the easy mode is too hard for some people - there are other games out there. or if you really insist, buy the game for PC, mod it and then play it with extra HP or whatever so you enjoy it, but quit saying 'every game should have an easy mode, so everyone can enjoy it'. its like every book or movie should have the option to have a 'kids version' so they can watch the movie and make sense of it all, even if its supposed to be a multiple layer mindfuck in the first place - and that the original authors have to write/make it.