On Dongles

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Maybe I do lack the knack at this...
I think you do.

I am almost completely sure the point being made is "Just because the girls wearing nothing but their underwear are gamers, doesn't make it any better when they are shaking their asses in the faces of men and women at a conference's party."

Grey tends to write satire, so more often than not he is making fun of what people say/do, rather than pointing out what people say/do.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Reading this thread, I'm not sure if everyone else missed the point, or if I missed the point...
I think most people commenting are not aware of the Brenda Romero incident and hence they only get the dongle reference.

OT: Since Susan Arendt already mentioned the Wargaming party, I just leave this here. (Video of the 2013 GDC Wargaming party) Scroll to the 3min mark i guess... sigh.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Desert Punk said:
Susan Arendt said:
Correct, they weren't strippers, and they were dressed in "yeti" costumes that were fairly demure (unlike the Wargaming party, where they were barely dressed). In the case of the IGDA party, it's still considered a professional event as many designers uses such GDC events to network, pursue job leads, etc.
I did some google fu and this is the image I came up with

Is there...something I am missing here? Because that doesnt seem 'barely dressed' to me, by god they have sleeves and everything!

Sure their cloths are a tad tight, but really? Is this the kind of thing people are getting offended over these days?
No, I'm talking about the girls in bikinis and bunny masks. (See the post above this one.)

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Does this kinda thing really happen that often at developper conferences? o0

I mean i knew it happened for duke nukem forever, but that seemed the exception rather then the rule.

Uhura said:
Ah right ty, now the strip (euh the comic) makes sense.
Find the bunny masks rather unsettling, got a psycho killer/miami hotline vibe from them.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Damn, you game developers party hard, I mean its a party but strippers seems a tad excessive... did they at least hire male strippers for the laaaAAAaaadiiies?

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
So they REALLY have strippers at these conventions? <.<

I first thought that the setting was the whole joke.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
They have strippers at those conventions? And here i thought its just sweaty nerds as far as eyes can see....

.... When is the next convention coming up?

Also, people who tend to play DF also tend to be strange. So it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
Legion said:
lacktheknack said:
Maybe I do lack the knack at this...
I think you do.

I am almost completely sure the point being made is "Just because the girls wearing nothing but their underwear are gamers, doesn't make it any better when they are shaking their asses in the faces of men and women at a conference's party."
Yep... That is the complete and utter point.

I imagine there is a tiny counterpoint to be made that some gamer girls might legitimately just need the money from striping (possibly to fuel their gaming habits.)

...But that simply makes the situation awkward if they're forced to show their faces in front of their peers. Being a stripper already is an embarrassing position already, save for rare circumstances; so imagine how awkward it would be to do something that intimate in front of some people that you're supposed to relate to.

The fact that it would be done at a place where they aren't even meant to be doing these kinds of things; namely a developer's conference, when they should be showing off the games, not the women... That makes the whole thing a situation full of awkwardness that is utterly avoidable.

In the end, we're left with the distinct impression that these sort of things, at the bare minimum, should be done at an after party instead of the main show.

...And we still haven't even reached the point where we outright discus the negative impact on the community's image of women for them to do these things at these events; which tends to be summed up as women being objectified like they are in every part of civilization, but never seems to be done quite as extensively as when you're parading them around as titillation for the masses in some stripper show. A feat only rivaled by the fashion industry.

Next time, I dare someone to put gamer men in the same position.

(Not that I actually know what's going on, I'm piecing this together from context.)

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
albino boo said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Is this another prude USA thing? as in the UK our shopping centre's (malls to you I believe) have strippers during the day all the time and people of all ages just accept it I've never seen women when with there children show any offence anyway.
Err have you been smoking some "special" tobacco? I have never even heard of strippers in shopping centres, could you provide some sort of proof? I know its hard to tell the difference between Essex girls and strippers but Essex girls don't take of their clothes in public until they have had at least 3 hours of drinking time.
I know in Newcastle they have the gate which has scantily clad women on stilts handing out coupons and encouraging people into the club. This is directly outside of a cinema which caters for all ages I believe. However this kind of thing only opens up when it's presumed that all the childrens shows should have ended.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Bullshit.
No one is good at dwarf fortress. You can only be marginally less bad at it.

Xanex

Jun 18, 2012
The word "dongle" has been said too many times in this thread. I now choose to be offended. Nobody move, I have to find a camera. Twitter fame here I come!

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
So, in the wargaming one, did anyone else notice the bunny girls were wearing bunnified gas masks?