On Dongles

Tarlane

Charismatic Leader
May 5, 2009
Ok, I have a weirdly specific love for this comic that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual news story its based on. I've got a friend who does some part time 'cam show' type of work and has spent her last few weeks obsessed with Dwarf Fortress. Even the right length blonde hair!

Daniel Tosh had a line about how he likes to make jokes more and more specific until there is just one guy in the audience who really gets it and thinks that it had everything. This joke was tailor made for me and is being forwarded to her immediately.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
erttheking said:
You know, as an American I might get called a prude for this, but there's a time and a place for stuff like this. This wasn't one of them.
Having dated a German, they really like to talk it up about how sexually expressive and free Europe and the like is. I'd say it is true, but not nearly to the extent they seem to have in their heads. I'd like someone to tell me how "Turn me on, Dammit! (origina: Få meg på, for faen)" is so much more free in its sex than something like American Pie. Arguably American Pie treats it's sexuality with "humor" (not that I found it that funny), but at least it was a better movie in my opinion.

In fact, visiting Germany I was expecting whores to be pouring out of brothels and naked men and women to be banging on giant posters in the streets, but none of this was the case. In fact, I'd say most people were dressed more conservatively than the average high school student at amall here. Which is good, as they seemed to actually have a sense of style :p

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Alexander Dinamarca said:
is this in refference to the IGDA party controversy? I don't recall actual strippers being involved in that, just two gogo dancers.
They tend to use satire for their comics quite a lot, so exaggeration is fairly common.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Hey guys! I'm actually good at Dwarf Fortress too! Maybe I could go as model for you next year to appeal on female audience!

Sep 14, 2009
Desert Punk said:
ToastedCorpser4Lunch said:
Does this have to do with that chick who did that thing cause those guys made that joke about that thing or something? If so, I didn't see the connection, then again, I'm half asleep.
(First!)
I would be careful about talking about her, she is a member of the forums and likes to report people who say unkind things about her. So if you say unkind things you will get slapped with calling another escapist names and being inpolite and such.

EDIT: On the OT so I dont get slapped with another low content post for not talking much about the original post; Yay, yet more sexism stuff a couple of weeks out of date, just what the escapist needs!
haha wait she is?!?! :D

oh goodness, i hope her name is "the dongler" and her avatar is one big conglomerate of forks XD

OT: Nice article, and after seeing the video evidence i agree that was a bit "uh...wait what?" with the masks and super booty shaking goin on. if it is still a "professional" event that is definitely a big no no.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Hagi said:
I believe this is appropriate:

That being said, that wargaming party with the bunny girls looks freaking awkward as hell.
Why not add a bit of recent drama? We are on Escapist after all.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
So, the title and the comic appear to be about two different things.

The title appears to be about the woman who sicked an internet hate mob on two guys and got one of them fired for making a dick joke about dongles just like the ones she was posting on Twitter three days previously and then got an internet hate mob after her because she acted like it made her a hero and then she got fired because she dragged her companies name into it.

The comic appears to be about that party at some event where one woman wrote that she 'felt' the organizers had hired dancers and strippers, although they claimed that all the women present in the area in question were members of the industry. For some reason there wasn't any furor like this when Nintendo held a 'girls' night out' event for developers and press for which they are definitely confirmed to have hired a number of male models/strippers.

Edit: Apparently it is actually about a different event than the one I was thinking of, although there seems little agreement as to which one or exactly who was hired to do what where. Honestly, I couldn't get very worked up about this even if what was shown in the comic actually happened (probably because I can't stand strip clubs myself and know a fair number of women who are, shall we say, enthusiastic about them).

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Blargh McBlargh said:
Mullahgrrl said:
I always wondered what kind of people plays Dwarf Fortress.
Masochists and madmen. ;)
HEY, I am neither of those!!!
Although I am sometimes questioning my sanity
And I am intrigued in finding a girl who wouldn't mind to whip me, while wearing strap-on and... O_O

Anyway, you're still wrong, because of reasons!

Desert Punk said:
Dwarf Fort is like Thermonuclear War. The only way to win... Is to not play at all. :p
WHAT???
I always thought that only way to win is inventing some sort of teleportation device, spamming enemy cities with teleported neutron bombs, while at the same time using satellite mounted and land based lasers to intercept ballistic missiles incoming on your location.
You mean my world domination plan would fail?
Good to know, because that would be one awkward afternoon.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
So there's a double standard: when women get to have a "Girl's Night Out" with male strippers sponsored by Nintendo it's fine and dandy, but when two guys make a joke about dongles/strippers who may be gamers is sexist. Something needs to change, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
All the people who keep saying "nah dude they were just dancers and anyway it was a party" need to shut the hell up, it doesn't matter if there is music and liquor it is still a professional event and as such EVERYONE needs to comport themselves accordingly, shit like this is why it is so hard for the gaming industry and gaming as an art medium to be taken seriously and as legitimate.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Zeras said:
So there's a double standard: when women get to have a "Girl's Night Out" with male strippers sponsored by Nintendo it's fine and dandy, but when two guys make a joke about dongles/strippers who may be gamers is sexist. Something needs to change, but I doubt that will ever happen.
I'm curious as to the source of your Nintendo "Girls night out" event.

OtherSideofSky said:
For some reason there wasn't any furor like this when Nintendo held a 'girls' night out' event for developers and press for which they are definitely confirmed to have hired a number of male models/strippers.
Source???

Overused and Ineffective said:
Fabricate a scenario that implies a double standard, all the while acting indignant. Creates a simulated position of smug superiority, likely only to fool those that already are already in agreement.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
wulf3n said:
Zeras said:

Fabricate a scenario that implies a double standard, all the while acting indignant. Creates a simulated position of smug superiority, likely only to fool those that already are already in agreement.
Look at post #90 above.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Zeras said:
wulf3n said:
Zeras said:

Look at post #90 above.
Someone else saying it is not a valid source.

Now I've tried to find out about the "Girls night out" event to no avail. Now I know my searching abilities aren't perfect, so that doesn't mean the event didn't occur, but I would have thought if it did, it would be easier to find.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Does that change the fact that there are different standards for male and female behavior, especially in the workplace?

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Zeras said:
Does that change the fact that there are different standards for male and female behavior, especially in the workplace?
Does that "fact" have any bearing on the Issue of hiring female strippers to a Video Game event?

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Would you be incensed if there were male strippers at a Video Game event?

If you don't, then there's a double standard - which has been fueled by the empowerment movement ("you can be anything you want to be").

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Zeras said:
Would you be incensed if there were male strippers at a Video Game event?

If you don't, then there's a double standard - which has been fueled by the empowerment movement ("you can be anything you want to be").
I would be incensed by the presence of strippers of any gender "hired" to perform at a Video Game event.

Which is why the "Furore" over the "Girls night out" event is a disingenuous argument. There was no furore because there was no event. No double standard exists because the double has yet to occur.