On Gaymers and Cons

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,769
5
43
It took me at least three looks to notice that the guy in the last panel isn't wearing any pants.

Honestly, I've asked the "why do they want their own con" question myself. Mostly because I don't know what one would do at a gay con that one wouldn't do at a regular con.

Then again, I've never actually been to a con. If the point is to fit in... then fair enough I guess. That's certainly a desire I can relate to.
 

Gearhead mk2

New member
Aug 1, 2011
19,999
0
0
In fairness, I was genuinely asking that question too, until I remembered if I had a penny for every time somone said something homophobic online I'd be richer than Bill Gates.
 

mgirl

New member
Mar 29, 2011
177
0
0
The 'segregation' argument from people baffles me. I mean, if you're going to look at it like that, surely gay pride parades/celebrations, or LGBT rights groups, or even university groups, of which I am involved in, would all also come under the same blanket.

It's nice to see that at least some people get it, its about fitting in, and to not have to worry about people treating you differently.
 

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
3,056
0
0
Zhukov said:
It took me at least three looks to notice that the guy in the last panel isn't wearing any pants.

Honestly, I've asked the "why do they want their own con" question myself. Mostly because I don't know what one would do at a gay con that one wouldn't do at a regular con.

Then again, I've never actually been to a con. If the point is to fit in... then fair enough I guess.
This. Another thing I thought about was that are there even enough "gaymers" that 1) particularly want this sort of thing and 2) live densely enough to make this a big event? I don't imagine one would be willing to drive 500 miles just to get to a gaming convention specifically aimed at their sexuality. Unless gaming conventions are REALLY homphobic events, I really don't see much point in this.
Arakasi said:
Upon hearing this I did myself wonder why there would be an event specifically for homosexuals, when I don't see games having much to do with sexual identity for the most part.
Exactly. How does sexuality affect behavior at a gaming convention?
 

Bealzibob

New member
Jul 4, 2009
405
0
0
What exactly would you have at a gay gamer convention that would be different to any other gamer convention or is it just got a gaudy stereotypical colour palate and gives you the comfortable feeling that everyone around you can relate because not only are they gamers but they are also gay?
 

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Moderator
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
7,159
125
68
Country
🇬🇧
Gender
♂
For once I have to agree with Arakasi, labeling people as "dishonest bigots" for asking a genuine question is not really helpful to the LGBT movement, I think the expression you'll attract more bees with honey than with vinegar is relevant here. Even when countering those who genuinely do have anti-gay views, insulting the opposition generally leads to them entrenching their position further and being less amendable to change.
 

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
1,840
0
0
bartholen said:
Unless gaming conventions are REALLY homphobic events
Imagine Xbox live in person.

I kid.

Xbox live is probably friendlier.

Hilarity of my jokes aside, why do you care if they have a gaymer con? Need or not, they want it and since these thing exist entirely to satisfy want there is one.
 

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
3,056
0
0
Hoplon said:
bartholen said:
Unless gaming conventions are REALLY homphobic events
Imagine Xbox live in person.

I kid.

Xbox live is probably friendlier.

Hilarity of my jokes aside, why do you care if they have a gaymer con? Need or not, they want it and since these thing exist entirely to satisfy want there is one.
Gonna have to believe you, since I've never been to one. Doesn't really affect me one way or another whether they have a gaymer con or not. The idea just seemed a little odd.
 

Falterfire

New member
Jul 9, 2012
810
0
0
Hoplon said:
Hilarity of my jokes aside, why do you care if they have a gaymer con? Need or not, they want it and since these thing exist entirely to satisfy want there is one.
Well, that's just the point: Attempting to understand the desire for such an event. After all, sexuality and gaming are not things that appear excessively connected at first glance. It's especially important to ask the question in case the answer is 'because gaymers don't feel comfortable at regular conventions.' If it's just something that happens because hey, why not, then we can just move on, but quite a few of us nerd types would like to be able to take pride in our culture being one of the most welcoming to everybody, and if it isn't, we'd like to know that.
 

Zombie_Moogle

New member
Dec 25, 2008
666
0
0
bartholen said:
Arakasi said:
Upon hearing this I did myself wonder why there would be an event specifically for homosexuals, when I don't see games having much to do with sexual identity for the most part.
Exactly. How does sexuality affect behavior at a gaming convention?
Have you spent 8 seconds or more on Xbox Live? There is your answer

As much as I love the gaming community, there is a very vocal & persistent subsection of our community that is extremely homophobic. The vast majority of us are not, but we all know it's there

If they wanna start a game convention where people aren't yelling "******" every other moment, have at it. I can certainly see why
 

Geo Da Sponge

New member
May 14, 2008
2,611
0
0
DVS BSTrD said:
Hoplon said:
bartholen said:
Unless gaming conventions are REALLY homphobic events
Imagine Xbox live in person.

I kid.

Xbox live is probably friendlier.

Hilarity of my jokes aside, why do you care if they have a gaymer con? Need or not, they want it and since these thing exist entirely to satisfy want there is one.
I would appreciate it if you didn't refer to gaymers as "things" :p
He didn't, he referred to conventions as "things".

And speaking as a bisexual guy with a boyfriend, I guess a Gaymer-con just sounds... Nice. I don't have much experience with conventions so I can't really say that they're hostile environments in general, but I suppose it's just slightly easier to relax in a situation that is more specifically tailored to you. Even if that tailoring is irrelevant to the main subject matter.

I'm just neutral on the matter. I'm not campaigning for a Gaymer-con, but I think "Because it would be nice for us" is a good enough reason to have one.
 

Tastum

New member
Jun 1, 2011
52
0
0
To be honest I had that question on my mind briefly, because I've only been to a couple of anime conventions about a decade ago and no gaming conventions. Those anime conventions were very welcoming (if very weird) places - I find it hard to to think that gay anime fans have any trouble fitting in.

But then I am also a DoTA player, and DoTA is a game for hardcore gamers - just the sort who would attend conventions. If the sampling of "quality gamers" I've seen there is any indication, the whole idea of a gaymer con makes a lot more sense.
 

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
1,840
0
0
Falterfire said:
Hoplon said:
Hilarity of my jokes aside, why do you care if they have a gaymer con? Need or not, they want it and since these thing exist entirely to satisfy want there is one.
Well, that's just the point: Attempting to understand the desire for such an event. After all, sexuality and gaming are not things that appear excessively connected at first glance. It's especially important to ask the question in case the answer is 'because gaymers don't feel comfortable at regular conventions.' If it's just something that happens because hey, why not, then we can just move on, but quite a few of us nerd types would like to be able to take pride in our culture being one of the most welcoming to everybody, and if it isn't, we'd like to know that.
Because old bean there is a wide streak of both Homophobia and misogyny in gaming culture. Shit just look at anything like tropes vs women in game furore for a premium example of exactly what is wrong with gamer culture.
 

Oskuro

New member
Nov 18, 2009
235
0
0
Ok, everyone, important question time:

Is this Con banning non-gay people from attending? (Answer: NO)


If the gay culture is not your thing, then give the convention a pass. All these complaints almost feel like people are afraid that having too many conventions will somehow deplete the non-renewable convention resource! (Hint: it won't, you can have a theoretical infinite number of conventions with infinite themes, given enough geek critical mass)

Discussing whether there is a need for this convention or not is exactly the same thing detractors of videogames or comics argue regarding those conventions. Just because you don't get it, it doesn't mean it's worthless.