On Gaymers and Cons

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
secretsantaone said:
1. Of course I understand why gay people are sensitive about the word ******, as it can be used ass a slur to refer to them. However, I'm not going to stop using a word because a group of people can take it out of context and get offended by it.

2. Deal with it. Though the origins come from gay=bad and that's where the negative connotations derive, it can be used as a general put down without referring to gay people any more. Same theory with "bastard".

3. Louis CK originally never thought the word ****** referred to gay people at all, that was the point. He says that ****** has two distinct meanings in two different contexts.

4/5. Then why are you bitching?
1. I never said you should stop using the word. I said you should think twice about using it liberally, or simply using it regardless of context, because at the end of the day, that does NOT represent respect of the word and respect of gay people. That's it. Gay men use ******. Bisexual men use ******. Extremely pro-gay straights use ******. The word ****** in itself is just a word, but it's not a word that exists in a vacuum, and that needs to be respected.

2. No, I don't have to deal with it. Don't ever tell me or anyone else who actually has to SUFFER from the shit that you so callously ignore to simply deal with it. Not going to happen. If you want to be defiant, go right on ahead. You'll be called out every time.

The reason why ****** is used as a general put down is BECAUSE of homophobia. And because being a ****** is considered a negative. That should be enough for you to realize why you should have a bit more respect for the word.

3. "My feelings about ?******? are starting to change. I did this long bit about the word ?******? in my last special, and about how to me it?s always just meant ?annoying.? I grew up with a different meaning to it. So I?m not talking about gay when I call people ******. But I know I can?t ignore the way that it makes gay people feel. It?s not really responsible to just pretend other people aren?t offended. I?m not worried about offending people, but I don?t want to offend them for no fucking reason. Just because I?m being lazy. So I?ve cut down on ?******? a little bit."

Louis CK is truly gay accepting. Are you? I'm not seeing it. So he can use the word and he gets the context, he uses the word appropriately, and you just don't care. And you not caring is effectively a big middle finger to the gay community. So, that's what we give you in return.

4. Your lack of respect is the problem. The fact you think you're funny or somehow taking a stand against sensitivity and being PC. All you are doing is exposing how apathetic, completely removed from reality, and uncaring you are.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
I don't think it's really about being "soft" so much as it's about having tact... which is sorta what you're asking to get from other people, when you think about it.[/qupte]You're right. There is a way to get your point across in a concise, effective way without shouting down others or being disrespectful. I sometimes slip up and I have to work on it.

It being 2013 is irrelevent. Think of all the bullshit, tyranny and mass-delusions of the last 100 years and then ask yourself if it would make any kind of sense if we had just dropped all of that over night. Very little time has passed really.
Good point. Social Change is a very slow, arduous process. You have to be tough, and have thick skin, keep your eyes on the prize and stay positive through all the negativity.

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
101flyboy said:
1. I never said you should stop using the word. I said you should think twice about using it liberally, or simply using it regardless of context, because at the end of the day, that does NOT represent respect of the word and respect of gay people. That's it. Gay men use ******. Bisexual men use ******. Extremely pro-gay straights use ******. The word ****** in itself is just a word, but it's not a word that exists in a vacuum, and that needs to be respected.

2. No, I don't have to deal with it. Don't ever tell me or anyone else who actually has to SUFFER from the shit that you so callously ignore to simply deal with it. Not going to happen. If you want to be defiant, go right on ahead. You'll be called out every time.

The reason why ****** is used as a general put down is BECAUSE of homophobia. And because being a ****** is considered a negative. That should be enough for you to realize why you should have a bit more respect for the word.

3. "My feelings about ?******? are starting to change. I did this long bit about the word ?******? in my last special, and about how to me it?s always just meant ?annoying.? I grew up with a different meaning to it. So I?m not talking about gay when I call people ******. But I know I can?t ignore the way that it makes gay people feel. It?s not really responsible to just pretend other people aren?t offended. I?m not worried about offending people, but I don?t want to offend them for no fucking reason. Just because I?m being lazy. So I?ve cut down on ?******? a little bit."

Louis CK is truly gay accepting. Are you? I'm not seeing it. So he can use the word and he gets the context, he uses the word appropriately, and you just don't care. And you not caring is effectively a big middle finger to the gay community. So, that's what we give you in return.

4. Your lack of respect is the problem. The fact you think you're funny or somehow taking a stand against sensitivity and being PC. All you are doing is exposing how apathetic, completely removed from reality, and uncaring you are.
Jesus christ, this persecution complex.

I've already said that I realise it can be taken as a slur in some contexts that I'd avoid and you're STILL saying that I'm somehow anti-gay? How exactly? A perceived lack of respect?

Respect is earned, the fact that you like dicks isn't really a reason to suddenly respect you. I treat people as individuals, not just as a part of a gay conglomerate.

Doesn't matter if you don't like dealing with it, you're going to have to. The word isn't going anywhere any time soon, so you can either deal with it or get perpetually offended. Your choice.

"Bastard" derives it's connotations from the old idea that a child outside of wedlock is cursed, however when we use bastard as an insult now we don't mean that they're literally a bastard (and I wouldn't imagine bastards would get offended by the term if they heard it), it's just a general pejorative term. This is what's happening to the word ******.

I wonder if you're just as offended by the word "cocksucker"? I mean, when it's directed at a man, the literal meaning is homosexuality.

positiveParadox

Sep 1, 2012
I have a great idea! Let's devote 23 pages of comments to straight men (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.398724-Poll-SCIENCE-DEMANDS-ANSWER-Who-do-you-have-sexytimes-with?page=1) talking about what gay people do/do not need! That can only get the very best of results. The lack of understanding of gay people overall in this thread is disturbing to say the least.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
All of those questions are legit. Why do women need their own bathrooms? Because they like a feeling of privacy, and fear being looked at by men. Why do monks need their own monastery? Because part of their faith is about being deliberately separated from the rest of the world in order to concentrate on their religion. Why do gay people need their own con? I can come up with a few answers, but I notice the comic writers didn't.

Of course people are going to keep asking if you don't give them the answers. Trying shame them is just going to backfire. Why assume any of the questions are not sincere?

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
secretsantaone said:
101flyboy said:

Jesus christ, this persecution complex.

I've already said that I realise it can be taken as a slur in some contexts that I'd avoid and you're STILL saying that I'm somehow anti-gay? How exactly? A perceived lack of respect?

Respect is earned, the fact that you like dicks isn't really a reason to suddenly respect you. I treat people as individuals, not just as a part of a gay conglomerate.

Doesn't matter if you don't like dealing with it, you're going to have to. The word isn't going anywhere any time soon, so you can either deal with it or get perpetually offended. Your choice.

"Bastard" derives it's connotations from the old idea that a child outside of wedlock is cursed, however when we use bastard as an insult now we don't mean that they're literally a bastard (and I wouldn't imagine bastards would get offended by the term if they heard it), it's just a general pejorative term. This is what's happening to the word ******.

I wonder if you're just as offended by the word "cocksucker"? I mean, when it's directed at a man, the literal meaning is homosexuality.
No, we have a third option. We can treat people who use the term with derision and scorn until they shape up or crack under the pressure and reveal their homophobic selves.

The thing is, you don't just use "******" the way you claim. You used it, publicly, on this message board, in an attempt to defend yourself. You knew people would take it wrong, but you not only don't care, but accuse them of having a persecution complex.

Yes, the word "bastard" has evolved, but only after centuries of being used to mean illegitimate son. ****** has not so evolved--as evidenced by the fact that you have to be careful about saying it around the wrong group of people. Yeah, we all saw that South Park episode. That was just wishful thinking. No one uses the term to just mean "annoying asshole." It's just not been around that long for the meaning to have mutated like that.

It doesn't help that there's no real reason to use the word ****** in conversation, anyways. It's not like, say, the word "gay" which has adopted the meaning once used by words such as "lame," or "retarded" which has the extra meaning of stupid. It has no other meaning but being one of derision or to troll people. It's just like "******" in that regard.

The chances that you've picked up that word as a part of your vocabulary through non-homophobic means is extremely small. It is on you to prove that you use it somehow without homophobic intent, not on us to prove that it's homophobic when it is an inherently homophobic word. No one uses "******" just to mean annoying.

It's like saying we can say Jap or ***** or even ****** without people thinking badly of us. It doesn't happen. There isn't a context where people won't think it is homophobic.

Well, other than using it to mean cigarette--something that, despite using British spellings, you never brought up, so I don't think I have to worry about that being your meaning.

And, yes, "cocksucker" is just as offensive, if not moreso. how in the world did you grow up in such a homophobic place not to know that? Did you grow up with those 11-year-old trolls in Halo?