On Kinect and PlayStation Move

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
On Kinect and PlayStation Move

Kinect and PlayStation Move aren't taking us towards the future of gaming, they're taking us away from it.

Read Full Article

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Sorry if this is off-topic, but when will we start getting updates from your space-game again?

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Has anyone else read the article in the latest Popular Science on this new game system in Las Vegas that was previously a Military and Police training tool.

It's essentially a giant hamster ball on a track with a virtual reality headset, you move and the ball turns and moves your avatar. It sounds much more immersive than motion controls or 3D, but it isn't any closer to the Thought -> In Game Action than a regular controller.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
I whole-heartedly agree with you Yahtzee! (That will probably be the only time I will say that.) Motion controls and 3D are rather annoying gimmicks, which detract more than they bring in to the experience. Sorry if this is off-topic, but has anyone bought Yahtzee's book yet? Is it any good?

Kilgorn

Jul 1, 2009
agree completely on motion controls, there really needs to be a party working on virtual reality for the good of gamers, instead of trying to cater to non gamers just to keep up with nintendo and make a huge profit. Lately it feels like consoles are there to take they most they can from us for the least amount of effort.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
if anything. i'm actually afraid to be excited for portal 2. trying to make sequals to games that were concidered perfect don't usually come out to well.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
He's got a point, motion controls will get us nowhere fast, unless there is a) some physical feedback (although the get-up necessary for that is just a horrible mental picture; jackets, gloves, etc), or b) it's something like the holodeck.
I don't care about Natal (and I won't bother calling it by its new name either), as it doesn't improve the way I could interact with my PC or xbox. Quite the contrary. I am sitting in my university's library right now, trying to work on a lab write up. I doubt flaying my arms around whenever I want to save, or back up, or change from word to excel would be more beneficial than using the touchpad. On that thought, how could gaming be any more fun? Granted, controlers have some issues, but they're better suited than actual movement, nevermind the inevitable ingame effects of being momentarily distracted.
As for the Move thing, well, you've got a pretty expensive, yet powerful Wii. Guess that's worth something, right?

Also this:
AkJay said:
Sorry if this is off-topic, but when will we start getting updates from your space-game again?

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
This article is correct in its doomsaying toward these new motion controls, especially the PS3 which didn't even have the decency to try and obscure the fact that they're ripping off the Wii. Compound that with the rather convincing argument against motion controls of any kind found in the article and you start to see the problem.

Why can't the companies in charge of this stuff come up with similar answers? I refuse to believe that the entire corporate empires of three major entertainment companies are run completely by the pants-on-head types.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
I whole-heartedly agree with you Yahtzee! (That will probably be the only time I will say that.) Motion controls and 3D are rather annoying gimmicks, which detract more than they bring in to the experience. Sorry if this is off-topic, but has anyone bought Yahtzee's book yet? Is it any good?
Its not out yet, I think Amazon said it was going to be released early september, but incase you missed it, heres a snippet from the book itself
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/7715-Yahtzee-Wrote-a-Book

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Agreed.

I don't even find playing on a console immersive, let alone standing up and waving my arms about, dildo-in-hand.

Thankfully it's more unlikely that this motion-wotion crap will appear on PCs (for use in games) because no one owns the platform.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
What? Wheatley sounds nothing like Yahtzee! Silly people...

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Yes, we should all recognise the hype for the cheap marketing ploy that it is.

I despise how hype can actually make something that isn't that bad seem really poor.

Another five minutes well wasted. Cheers, Yahtzee.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
I actually kinda disagree about the motion controls. There are two different ideals that video games might progress toward, the first is the same one mentioned in the article, but the second is the idea of the holodeck. A game world that you can actually run your real body through. Where you can see and do interesting things in interesting places as yourself instead of Cuntpunch McSteroid.

Motion controls as they are now are a very clumsy, ineffective step in that direction, but that direction is not necessarily invalid.

Phanto

Apr 15, 2009
I believe in motion controls use cleverly. In no more heroes, using the motion controls for the executions work very well - it's minimalistic, but it should be like a sudden rush of adrenaline, not like an exhausting ballet.

Thing is, I can't think of many other examples. I'm also interested by the kinect game by the creator of Rez, because it looks like something that "gets" the device it's working on, and makes you "swim" instead of "slash". The long movement is justified here. But I didn't play it, so maybe I'm wrong.

MikeTheElf

Aug 22, 2008
Games are meant to be gimmicky. They're built around capturing your attention at least long enough for one to buy it, to feed the parties involved with its production and sale. Immersion is just a bonus that everyone feels entitled to. To use an allegory: food works the same way; one can sustain oneself on food that doesn't taste good, but once one tastes more enticing food, one expects more out of all future foods. Everyone was content when 8-bit games were on the market, just as everyone was content pumping quarters into arcade machines for hours or days.

Entertainment has always been a contest as to what can hold one's attention; this results in a battle to see who can produce the nicest gimmick, game or service. This means that when one company does something that is the slightest bit profitable, all companies in the field will do the same; CDs supplanted cartridges, DVDs CDs, Blurays are apparently next. People are attracted to the shiniest object, and the Wii outsold both PS3 and 360. Motion control was naturally the next step. No one cares about innovation; they all want money.

omegatheta

AutoTuning Denton Clone
Dec 4, 2008
i eagerly await the day when we have total immersion....for on that day we will have many things that i will eagerly enjoy... until then i would greatly appreciate if the big tech companies of the world would stop watering us down with such worthless parlor tricks and gimmicky control schemes...i out and out HATED the wii for the better part of its current lifespan simply because of its controls and only now allow for my hate to subside because of its one major use... allowing me to get rid of those other 4 systems i have for minimal fee

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
wooty said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Its not out yet, I think Amazon said it was going to be released early september, but incase you missed it, heres a snippet from the book itself
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/7715-Yahtzee-Wrote-a-Book
I'd hate to quote for no reason, but literally every time i see your avatar i must stop and stare for a moment, it's hypnotic.

OT: This was a very well written article, and while i'm still vaguely interested in Kinect, i've absolutely no interest in Move.

Also, Fun Space Game. Where are the updates, sir?