On Kinect and PlayStation Move

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I hadn't thought of it in those exact words, Yahtzee, but I do believe what you've typed out as a reason for hating motion controls is pretty much what I think: they're too crude to be "amazing future tech".

I would like to compare using motion controls and 3D to attempt to reach the future to "trying to reach the future with with pogo stick, because it's an 'upgrade from walking'".
Maybe that's gibberish, maybe it's hilarious, either way, I liked your article, Yahtzee.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
3ds been around for ages i dont get why its taking off in EVERYTHING now... and if ure going to make us wear fucking ugly classes and look like pricks, why not display the images on the glasses... i mean thats pritty close to total emersion, work out a way to stop it burning are eyes
as for motion controls. there just a shameless attempt at marketing to the casual gamer since wii bagged so much money.
its devolution, lets hope tec dosnt advance with it inbuilt rather then with it removed
thats the problem when thingss evolve fast, theres not enough time to clear out the mistakes.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Ben Croshaw will be have a cameo in a later Valve game, I'm calling it.

Rasputin1 said:
Tharwen said:
What? Wheatley sounds nothing like Yahtzee! Silly people...
The new robot thing? How could anyone possibly think that thing is Yahtzee.
Because he's British, Americans have difficulty telling two brits apart, to the point that even our own Irridium can't tell the difference between Cockneys and Scousers.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
yahtzee claims he's not having an opinion from Portal 2 but i doubt that is the case. We're 3 E3 videos in and we've learned he ALWAYS has an opinion about something. Usually a poor one. If anything, it seems he actually has hope for the game but is afraid to admit it, both because of his reputation and usual cynic attitude.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I remember things like the Activator, and I want to cry, to think that I fell for such a stupid gizmo; it's sad. I agree with Mike TheElf, that they want to get attention in any possible way, and in the same way I fell for the Activator, people is biting this movement controls, whether we like it or not.
Being a PC gamer might means it doesn't affects me, but with the console porting we're getting lately, I begin to fear that the control scheme for PC will devastated greatly; letting us with a Keyboard, with only 3 usable keys "Run; Shoot & Win."

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Rasputin1 said:
Tharwen said:
What? Wheatley sounds nothing like Yahtzee! Silly people...
The new robot thing? How could anyone possibly think that thing is Yahtzee.
Because to some people, all accents from England, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa sound exactly the same.

firemark

Sep 8, 2009
I have no interest in Move for my PS3, I bought a Wii for my girlfriend and can hardly stand to use it. However, if Microsoft would look into other ways to use Kinect or whatever it's called, I think it could be pretty cool. Think about the way the Ironman movies portrayed Stark's home computer. You could do a lot of the same things with Kinect and 3D technology. I see it as a gimmick not as a whole new technology, but as an engineer it would be pretty cool to "hold" a design in my hand and rotate the image using only my hands rather than the point-and-click mouse interface. But for gaming, it just needs to die.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
twm1709 said:
yahtzee claims he's not having an opinion from Portal 2 but i doubt that is the case.
First, lol "poor opinion". To be honest, I'm sure he has an opinion somewhere in the back of his mind. Somewhere he's excited, because of Valve's track record. Too bad he didn't mention that in the article for you to prove him wrong. Oh wait. He did.

---

So, I'm probably giving them too much credit, but I have a theory that Nintendo knew from Day One that motion control was a complete dead end and ultimately helped nothing. Considering they were coming off the last generation in a debatable third place, they needed something to wow their customers. Something that hadn't been tried very successfully before, and something that would appeal to the mouth-breathers to let them rake some quick cash. God, did it ever work, and they get paid.

Given that, it's not outside the realm of thinking to say that they may be going the same route with the 3DS. Personally, I couldn't give a toss about the 3D. I just would like Nintendo game quality on a more powerful system, and 3DS is also delivering that.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
I actually think that a virtual reality sort of world where you 'think' and it happens would be bad for the gaming industry, because then any sort of test of skill would be thrown out the window. You wouldn't have to aim your gun at the enemy, you'd just think "shoot him!" And bam, he'd be dead. There would be no point to competitive shooter games or action games or any games like that. The 'hardcore' gamers would cease to exist, because hardcore gamers are distinguished by their skill in the games they play, and if there's no test of any relevant skill, Q.E.D. no gamers.

Admittedly you could do an RPG game using that style, but if you're in a virtual world, an RPG would be a horrible idea because it would feel incredibly unrealistic and you'd be immediately reminded that this isn't a real world, which, considering how immersive the virtual world would be in the first place, would pretty much spoil the experience.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I think Motion Controls as a whole are pretty crap(except Sorcery which looks pro), but I think Kinect has a much larger chance of failing than Move.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
The big thing I don't like about the 3DS (or in fact the DSI) is that I already have a DS. The more people who buy the current edition of a DS the less who will buy the new one because they already have one. Ok the DS and DS lite (which I have) are not too different, it's like a PS2 slimline (because the current gen consoles slim do newer things), did the same thing, had the same insides (to the extent of my knowledge) but was smaller. Then the DSI came along and I thought they were advertising some sort of detective game. Nintendo said: Look, it's got a camera! I said: Why would I need a camera on my DS? I have a camera, I have a DS, if I lost the DSI I would lose both functions but if I lost my DS I'd just have nothing to do on long journeys when my Ipod hasn't got any battery.

the 3DS is a gimmick, nothing more. All my friends who own a DS won't get the 3DS because they don't care about 3D qualities because £100 on sometihng you already have half of is too expensive. Nintendo does things before everyone else it seems, I think that is a weakness as well as a strength. They start the bandwagon and everyone jumps on it but they might not do it right allowing others to step in and improve the gimmick. But by then everyone has the Nintendo and doesn't want the new thing (see earlier points).

Sorry for the long rant.

DangNabbit

May 23, 2010
Ah, a wittertainment fan, hey? There's nothing quite like sitting down to hear Mao and Kermode ***** at eachother for an hour every friday.

I know time delay is a nuisance in Australia, but sometime you should tune in to the livestream just to see the big FLAPPING hands.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
I completely understand the whole idea behind not getting an opinion of Portal 2 before playing.

Hell, I'm worried that the second one might just be terrible.

Delxain

Jul 6, 2010
Screw motion controls. They suck and this point is a very dead horse. What I like about the Wii and the blatantly shameless PS move is that it's - or at least on it's way to - the rebirth of the light gun. Maybe I'm alone here but I absolutely love Metroid prime trilogy, RE4, sin and punishment etc and I'm seriously looking forward to what the PS3 will turn out. Sure it's not an actual gun and yeah it's not exactly 1-1 aiming, all room for improvement. The fact is I do see this as a positive direction.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
i agree. motion controls can never really be used for any deep game. i'll still buy move though, cuz well sometimes i just want to play a fun little gimmick when i get home.

May 25, 2010
"Not that I'd be unwilling to do so if you'd be willing to pay for the flight out again, Valve."

What does this "again" mean Yahtzee? Hmmm? I sense some sort of hint. Indulge me people.