On Kinect and PlayStation Move

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
JaceValm said:
the 3DS is a gimmick, nothing more. All my friends who own a DS won't get the 3DS because they don't care about 3D qualities because £100 on sometihng you already have half of is too expensive.
You may want to inform your friends that, despite the confusing name, it is not another iteration of the 3DS. This is the next generation of Nitendo's handheld line, and they need to base the decision on the game line-up, not the 3D effects (which, for the record, can be turned off if you so desire)

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
"Not that I'd be unwilling to do so if you'd be willing to pay for the flight out again, Valve."

What does this "again" mean Yahtzee? Hmmm? I sense some sort of hint. Indulge me people.
He has visited Valve in the past (on their expense), hence the "again" there.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
3D is a gimmick, unless it is done right.

movies made into "3D" at the last minute to get an extra $5 out of each viewer is a step backwards from what it should be.

movies that think 3D is "Woah, look at this thing that looks like it can hit you but actually can't." is a step backwards from what it should be. "It's like its jumping off of the screen."

Movies that make the movie in 3D but don't really make a big deal out of it (Toy Story 3) have done 3D right.

Kinect is easily the future of entertainment systems (controlling music, movies, and communication by voice? makes for an excellent alternative to a lost remote)

Move has to do what Wii and WiiMotion+ does but better.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Oh please valve add a hidden turret with Yahtzee's voice, pretty please...

OT:
current 3D tech holds no interest to me due to having to wear glasses, and this eliminating me from viewing most 3D films/games comfortably.
As for motion control, minority report style control should be looked into, but i'm with Yahtzee about putting the big bucks into neural socket research. Imagine an improved FPS Crackdown 2 with neural controls, would you need any other game?

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
Got a feeling that all the hate against motion controls is largely based on Force Unleashed not meeting your expectations.
----
Weird controls taking over for the more simple approach has happened before though. Hardened PC gamers remember when they laughed at the stupidity of aiming with an analog stick.

Us oldfashioned gamers have to step aside and let the motion controlling, farmville playing 'casual' tidalwave pass

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
I fail to see why a new control scheme is so terrible...it's not like the motion will replace buttons out right. Aside from sword fighting or pointing, most wii games that I've played require nothing more than a flick of the wrist, or a small, specific movement. I've never done any of this infamous "arm flailing" people keep complaining about.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: On Kinect and PlayStation Move

Kinect and PlayStation Move aren't taking us towards the future of gaming, they're taking us away from it.

Read Full Article
The brain already has a built in way to disconnect motor control from thoughts, and brain commands. I don't imagine tripping this manually is really outside even our current reach. But direct to brain interfaces carry some scarey implications. Taking instructions from brainwaves is all fine and dandy but when the machine starts feeding back directly, bypassing the standard, ears, eyes, fingers methods, you get some uncharted territory of risk and worry that makes investors tremble. Don't get me wrong I long for the day I can put my little neckpiece on and dive into virtual space wholesale but I honestly think tech is the least of that things worries.

I'm not so naive or fanboyish not to see the kinect and move for what they are in essence. Plugs for some of nintendos market. But the tech is full of good uses, it's just a shame sony went right for the copy + lightbulb, and that Kinect commercials look like wii commercials(which are subliminaly IKEA commercials). While motion controls are not technically as quick for any single command they have the potential to put infinite "buttons" at your command.

Take metroid prime 3. The wii circumevented it's lack of a mouse with the even more intuitive direct pointer. On top of that it circumvented it's lack of buttons by putting the grappling hook on a nunchuck gesture. This worked pretty smoothley and yanking a pirates shield felt pretty visceral and it was a damn fun game. I know this is a pretty small example but it worked well, and the game was otherwise, very traditional. You can hybridize motion controlls and button controls.

If the kinect does nothing else but enable headtracking in FPS and racing games I'll be all over it. It really need not end there. It's not really motion control tech that's the gimmick, it's the lack of creativity using it that's cheap. For the record I don't think stereoscopic 3d is a gimmick either, it's a novelty, overused while its hot, then later toughtfully used to actually add quality to the final product.

You know color and sound were branded as gimmicks by critics when they were added to film. An idea supported by thier, at first, completely overexagerated use. Things like unnaturaly colorful wardrobe or blaring soundtrack. Just sayin.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
yahtzee have you not seen the new gameplay mechanics on valves youtube channel?

i warn you, some puzzles are solved in front of your very eyes so spoiler alert i guess

http://www.youtube.com/user/Valve#p/u/5/1oVpE40V9rE

i think this game is going to be the length of an average game now, with all these new aperture puzzle solving mechanics...its going to be easier to have a longer game without the player getting bored

I CANT FFFFFFF-ING WAIT!

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Anyone else dissapointed in there not being a ZP this week. Ah well, I think he said on his twitter that his internet was down so that's understandable, but still I need my master to give his honest opinion so I can twist it that anyone who dissagrees with him is auto-matically wrong and doesn't deserve an opinion. Oh well.

Good article by the way, I agree with everything except the gameplay trailers, I can't help but get hyped up for Infamous 2.

EDIT: Shit, I thought it was wednesday today.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Thank you Yahtzee for restating what I've been saying all along: Motion Controls are a gimmick and IT'S NOT REAL 3D! I too have had people claim about how it will add real depth to games for jumps and such(comments made by people who really should know better, and who work for this site), when in reality it provides no depth and you still have to train your eyes to judge jumps the same as if it was flat 2D with no optical illusions.

Motion controls are jerky, unresponsive and I think we really do need that data-jack in the back of our necks to move forward beyond hand controllers or keyboard/mouse. Not to mention, the Move still looks like a sex toy....now with buttons to make it really hardcore.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
ProtoChimp said:
Anyone else dissapointed in there not being a ZP this week. Ah well, I think he said on his twitter that his internet was down so that's understandable...
He told you on the internet, that his internet was down...SPOOKEY NOOCHIES!

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
As with the article on "games as art," this one also hits the nail on the head in regards to motion controls and 3D. Bravo, Yahtzee-won Kenobi. Bravo.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
hawk533 said:
Has anyone else read the article in the latest Popular Science on this new game system in Las Vegas that was previously a Military and Police training tool.

It's essentially a giant hamster ball on a track with a virtual reality headset, you move and the ball turns and moves your avatar. It sounds much more immersive than motion controls or 3D, but it isn't any closer to the Thought -> In Game Action than a regular controller.
Sure but it is a start. Which means we might see the thought--->action in my lifetime.

Apr 28, 2008
This whole 3D/motion control boom disappoints me greatly.

So far the only thing they've accomplished is "decent gimmick", and thats me being generous.

ColdStorage said:
Ben Croshaw will be have a cameo in a later Valve game, I'm calling it.

Rasputin1 said:
Tharwen said:
What? Wheatley sounds nothing like Yahtzee! Silly people...
The new robot thing? How could anyone possibly think that thing is Yahtzee.
Because he's British, Americans have difficulty telling two brits apart, to the point that even our own Irridium can't tell the difference between Cockneys and Scousers.
There's a difference?