On Rape Jokes and Sensitivity

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
It's actually a pretty good analogy, since if your car is backfiring, you need to take it to a mechanic. They aren't supposed to do that. So there's a definite choice there as to whether to get your car fixed or not, and in the meantime you run the risk of triggering an episode in any vets with PTSD in the area. Just like you can choose to crack a rape joke, but you run the risk of triggering the PTSD of any rape survivors who might be listening.
You clearly employ a much more generous scale than I do when it comes to determining the quality of analogies. I humbly request that we let this one die now.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
By the way, "PTSD overdrive" was your phrase, not mine. If I wasn't supposed to take it as flashback triggered violence, what was I supposed to take it as? Even if it's "just" a panic attack, that's a serious enough problem to suggest that the person doing it needs help.
Yes, the implication was panic attack or extreme distress. I'm still not sure how we got to "victim blaming" or violent assaults from that, but I'm guessing we can chalk it up to garden variety miscommunication and leave it at that.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Probably because Feminists blew the whole thing out of proportion and think that everything against women is a crime. Also I like to believe that the term "grow a thick skin" doesn't really exist anymore since on the Internet, if someone says something you don't like or agree with, you can just block, flag or delete their comment to save yourself from admitting that you were *GASP* wrong. People don't like being wrong, so instead of admitting it, they just delete whomever calls them out on their bullcrap, or explains why their view may be incorrect.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Res Plus said:
thaluikhain said:
Rape has a special place in society.] There is a massive amount of rape in our society, and a tiny conviction rate, and few people seem to want to really do anything about it.
Er, what are you basing the "massive amount of rape" on? Vague, exaggerated assertions are as dangerous as ingoring a problem. Oh and what is "our society"? Western society? If Western society has "massive" amounts what about areas of Africa where it is genuinely endemic?
Something like 1 in 4 to 1 in 6 women in western nations will be raped at least once during their lifetime, that's a massive amount.

Yes, things are worse in Africa...so? What problem apart from "not being in Africa" is this not the case with?

Res Plus said:
So, yeah, off hand assertions about "massive amounts of rape" and people "not doing enough about it" worry me and seem a simplistic take on a complex issue.
Alright, if I was to specify a few things off the top of my head:

Firstly, there's been a...I won't say "scandal", because it's hardly new or unexpected, but a thing were various high ranking officials in the US military, including those who are supposed to stop rape and sexual harassment, have been charged with rape and sexual harassment, not to mention the usual lower ranked stuff. And nothing much seems to be done about this, because dealing with the problem in any real sense means first acknowledging, and this is seen as somehow anti-military. It really needs to be understood that there are members of the US military very much in the wrong, and it is their actions that are tarnishing its reputation, not publicly dealing with them. This also applies to any organisation, far too many are content with quietly ignoring the issue because people don't want to face it.

Secondly, also in the US, it's become popular not to test rape kits, but to simply stick them in a warehouse and forget about them. I think this may be because if they wait until the statute of limitations are expired, they don't have to bother with doing anything, saves them the cost of an investigation and trial etc. Now, you've got groups slowly going through the backlog of these, who have discovered, to nobody's real surprise, that the DNA matches that of other kits, or people later convicted and imprisoned for other rapes and murders, crimes that could not have been committed if they've been imprisoned for the first rapes.

Similarly, Topeka, Kansas didn't want to have to pay to deal with domestic violence, so they decriminalised it. I'm not sure if they have made it a crime again yet.

Now, dealing with these issues would make a real (if minor) difference, and would not require the laws to be altered, they would merely require people wanting to face the problem head on.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
I am a survivor of a sexual assault, I have loved ones who are survivors of sexual assaults. What happened to us isn't funny, it was horrible and debilitating. Eleven years after it I still sometimes have nightmares and flashbacks. I won't say that a rape joke has ever triggered a flashback because it hasn't, but even hearing the word can make me feel incredibly uncomfortable and, strangely cold and just, bad. This is a difficult subject, because on one hand, comedians are often the first to address delicate social issues because the humor helps us examine them without too much fear or judgement. You can look at Charlie chaplin's very public critiques of fascism for a good example of this. On the other hand, the people who are getting offended by these jokes have, in my own opinion, every right to be offended. Yeah, you were telling a joke and trying to be funny and had no intention of hurting anybody with those words, but to some of them, you just sent them right back to the worst experience of their lives. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not about someone being too sensitive or someone not being allowed to tell a joke, everyone experiences trauma in different ways, so why take the chance of hurting someone?

Look, would you make a joke about human trafficking? Or about a soldier getting his legs blown off by a grenade? Because that'a often the magnitude of mental and emotional trauma that you're joking about when you make a rape joke. But once again it all comes down to context, by all means make all the jokes you want, just be sure you aren't causing someone to suffer by doing so.

Oh and to all those people who are like "hurr durr feminazis making a big deal out of everything!" These feminazis do not exist outside of your imagination, they are perfectly reasonable feminists who are probably just fed up with your bullshit and are now angry, just like anyone who has had to put up with such baffling amounts of stupidity has any right to be.

I apologize for the long, somewhat disjointed, post. I find it very hard to speak eloquently on this subject. Hopefully anyone reading this has stuck it out and we can have a good discussion about this.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Azure23 said:
I am a survivor of a sexual assault, I have loved ones who are survivors of sexual assaults. What happened to us isn't funny, it was horrible and debilitating. Eleven years after it I still sometimes have nightmares and flashbacks. I won't say that a rape joke has ever triggered a flashback because it hasn't, but even hearing the word can make me feel incredibly uncomfortable and, strangely cold and just, bad. This is a difficult subject, because on one hand, comedians are often the first to address delicate social issues because the humor helps us examine them without too much fear or judgement. You can look at Charlie chaplin's very public critiques of fascism for a good example of this. On the other hand, the people who are getting offended by these jokes have, in my own opinion, every right to be offended. Yeah, you were telling a joke and trying to be funny and had no intention of hurting anybody with those words, but to some of them, you just sent them right back to the worst experience of their lives. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not about someone being too sensitive or someone not being allowed to tell a joke, everyone experiences trauma in different ways, so why take the chance of hurting someone?

Look, would you make a joke about human trafficking? Or about a soldier getting his legs blown off by a grenade? Because that'a often the magnitude of mental and emotional trauma that you're joking about when you make a rape joke. But once again it all comes down to context, by all means make all the jokes you want, just be sure you aren't causing someone to suffer by doing so.

Oh and to all those people who are like "hurr durr feminazis making a big deal out of everything!" These feminazis do not exist outside of your imagination, they are perfectly reasonable feminists who are probably just fed up with your bullshit and are now angry, just like anyone who has had to put up with such baffling amounts of stupidity has any right to be.

I apologize for the long, somewhat disjointed, post. I find it very hard to speak eloquently on this subject. Hopefully anyone reading this has stuck it out and we can have a good discussion about this.
The question is less "should rape jokes be allowed" and more "why is rape so controversial, but equally horrible things (murder, assault, torture, etc) are viewed as being far less controversial.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Something like 1 in 4 to 1 in 6 women in western nations will be raped at least once during their lifetime, that's a massive amount.
You think that's bad? http://www.oneinthreewomen.com/
And...
At least one in every three women, or up to one billion women, have been beaten, coerced into sex, or otherwise abused in their lifetimes. Usually, the abuser is a member of her own family or someone known to her (L Heise, M Ellsberg, M Gottemoeller, 1999).
And...
Up to 47% of women report that their first sexual intercourse was forced (WHO, 2002).
Oh my gosh, it's gotten even worse while posting this! http://www.kawarthasexualassaultcentre.com/the_facts
1 in 2 women will be sexually assaulted at some time in their lives
Oh wait.. it's gotten better... http://rwu.edu/campus-life/health-counseling/counseling-center/sexual-assault/rape-myths-and-fac
One out of four women is sexually assaulted at some point in her life.
Doesn't seem to change for college students...
One in four college women have either been raped or suffered attempted rape.
Ah, it's gotten better still; http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims
1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime
Shit, back up again; http://www.woar.org/resources/sexual-assault-statistics.php
1 in 3 American women will be sexually abused during their lifetime
Wait, might be getting better again; http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/sv-datasheet-a.pdf
Nearly 1 in 5 women...
Although upon reading one the *actual* studies; https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/182369.pdf Suggests a conservative 1 in 10 estimate (although they point out differing numbers within the methodologies used in various studies)

Now while I'm inclined to agree with the theoretical concept behind Godwin's Law when applied to time and a circumstance (the longer you exist, the higher chance something bad will happen to you), I cannot with any sense of rationality consider any of those statistics as accurate in the slightest. Some people have already discussed why...
http://aspiringeconomist.com/index.php/2009/09/11/rape-statistics-1-in-4/
http://www.iwf.org/news/2432517/One-in-Four-Rape-myths-do-injustice-too
http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_1_campus_rape.html
http://www.advicegoddess.com/archives/2011/04/17/stop_quoting_bu.html
http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/fvsv9410.pdf (The raw data suggests only 2.1 per 1000, or 0.0021 percent)
And looking at the actual reported data several of the above sites point to, for example; http://www.endvawnow.org/uploads/browser/files/vawprevalence_matrix_june2013.pdf Suggest different numbers, for example; both 35.6% & 24.8% from Intimate Partner Sexual violence in 2010 in the US.

I believe there is room for discussion regarding the 1in6, 1in5, 1in4, 1in3 and 1in2 statistic people keep spreading around. Is it an issue? Sure is. Is it the pandemic being reported? I highly doubt that.

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
1 in 6 women will be raped within their lifetime. That's the official U.S. statistic by the way based on rapes that have actually been reported in the U.S., it does not cover the ones that have gone unreported. The likelihood is that it's lower than that, possibly as low as 1 in 4. In the Military, it's 1 in 2 and that's non-gender. If you see a group of six women standing in a circle, there's a good bet that one of those women has been raped and also a good bet that another of them will be. It's a sobering statistic, especially for women who face the threat of rape from just walking down the street or going out jogging alone (not even at night!). If they are raped, the high likelihood is that they won't get justice, even if they report it. They will be mocked and blamed by the friends and family of their attacker, by their former friends at school, they'll be called a slut and a whore, they'll face being ostracized. It's a fear that most women live with, regardless of color or creed, and one that some actively prepare for. I know at least two women in my family that have been physically, emotionally, and sexually abused by different partners. I have not, that makes it 2/6 for me alone.

Who are you threatening when you joke about rape? Why are you threatening them? Are you supporting the victim? Or are you supporting the right of the attacker to rape them?

This isn't to say that rape jokes can't be funny, but the vast majority of rape jokes out there support the traditional blame the victim mind-set: it was the woman's fault, look what she was wearing, or to quote Daniel Tosh "Wouldn't it be funny if this woman was raped by six guys right now? Like right now?" Comedy can't be subversive if it's reinforcing traditional norms, to a man or woman in the audience who has been raped, this isn't funny. It's a genuine threat to their personal safety or mocking them for their failure to "protect themselves" from being raped. After all, the joke insists, they were asking for it. This is most rape jokes, there are some that escape it, but most rely on the darkness of the act itself to be humorous. That's lazy comedy, it doesn't amount to more than saying "lol dead babies lol" and is that really funny or is it just being an asshole?

It's important to remember, also, that rape jokes are used on the internet as a silencing tactic, you don't have to look much farther than what happened with Anita Sarkeesian or Jeezebel when they talked about the Daniel Tosh incident. There are floods of comments that are difficult to look at threatening these women with rape, assault, seeking to use jokes to reduce them to a body part (their vagina) as an easy, quick (lazy) way to silence them for presenting an opinion that they don't agree with. "Hur, hur, if I threaten her with rape that'll shut the ***** up!" When or if they get called out? "What! I was just joking! Free speech!"

Should we defend unfunny, tasteless comedy just because it's comedy? If you're going to joke about a serious issue, then the issue must be given the respect it deserves. A comedian has to earn their darkness and they have to earn the laughter, if the joke isn't causing the people around you to think about the issue in a new or serious light, then there wasn't much point to it to begin with and the joke itself is a failure. All a bad troll does is make someone angry and all a bad comedian does is prove that they're a tasteless, idiotic asshole.

Here are some examples:

The Rape Joke Supercut: I can't believe you laughed at that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIVmI6N6JjY

Wanda Sykes: The Detachable Vagina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8FfFwtL91Q

Yes, rape jokes can be funny. But only if you do them right.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
What makes you think that murder and physical assault are equally horrible? Look my life is in a good place right now, healthy relationship, decent job, etc, but there was a time when I would wake up and seriously consider whether or not I should live through the day. And it's not "emo" or attention seeking or any of that bullshit, it's the reality for many survivors. If not for the love of my family and one truly amazing woman I might not've made it. But plenty of other survivors of sexual assault don't have that support, and to some of those people death is an attractive alternative. I mean death is death right? Final, conclusive, it doesn't matter how you get there. So I suppose by that rationale murder is not equally horrible. As for torture? Well what is rape of not a complete torture? Encapsulating mental, physical, and emotional trauma. You bring up physical assault as well, truly domestic violence and child abuse are two horrible things, but seldom do they leave the scars a sexual assault does.

I apologize for the heavy handedness of this post and I would welcome the continued discussion. Please remember that these are only my personal opinions and I of course would consider alternative viewpoints. That said these opinions (for obvious reasons) are very deep seated and it will take a masterful argument to change my mind on this.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
KriticalKiwi said:
darkstarangel said:
The only thing I can put it down to is that for the past 40 or so years Slasher flicks have been glorifying gore & violence that the mainstream media is practically desensitised to it. Even to the point where death & gore can be parodied. And even though such films usually contain a lot of sex, even dying during the act, the two were never combined. Jason or michael myers never raped their victims just slaughtered them.
Desensitisation to violence and murder have been around a long time, my friend. Ever read an ancient Greek tragedy? Or a comedy for that matter?
Very true. But none of the frescos or pottery art have ever captured the visual imagery of a rotting corpse in a hockey mask impailing a spear through two teenagers having sex on a boat. And it was seldom, if ever, that the monsters were celebrated as the heroes.

To think, that just reading about Dracula or Frankensteins monster used to instill fear in the readers of the time they were written. Where as today even watching a line of people having their mouths stiched to each others arses is tough to get a reaction.

Watcheroftrends

Jan 5, 2009
On this topic, here's what I don't understand.

In a perfect world, a woman walking naked down the street shouldn't be blamed for getting raped.

Unfortunately, dressing in a sexual manner attracts attention that can be very bad. Going to a party and getting drunk around people who you don't know well is risky. Engaging in acts like kissing and rubbing up against another person's body triggers a sexual response that can make them believe you want to have intercourse.

While it is still wrong for the other party to assume what you want or to act upon the urges they feel, it is also true that these urges and situations could have been avoided. Avoiding these things could possibly have prevented the situation from escalating into a rape scenario, regardless of right or wrong.

I mean, if I walk down the street with my life savings in bills on display in a clear plastic suitcase, that doesn't mean it's right that I get robbed. It will still probably happen, though. It's stupid for me, in that sense, to do that. In the same way, just because laws and morality says there's no such thing as a victim being at fault for "asking" to be raped, it's still stupid that you trigger or enter situations in which it's more likely to occur.

If anything, this widespread emotional response to rape being a totally victimized crime is actually a bad thing. It tells women (and men) that there's no reason to be smart about this sort of thing because, hey, it's the rapists' fault. This still doesn't stop you from actually getting raped, though. If you don't agree with me, then you're just hung up on some idealist bullshit. People just aren't of good stock.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Watcheroftrends said:
If anything, this widespread emotional response to rape being a totally victimized crime is actually a bad thing. It tells women (and men) that there's no reason to be smart about this sort of thing because, hey, it's the rapists' fault. This still doesn't stop you from actually getting raped, though. If you don't agree with me, then you're just hung up on some idealist bullshit. People just aren't of good stock.
Women know they might get raped if X, Y, Z, it's bludgeoned into them nonstop. However, it's gone to the extreme of it being her fault if it is, regardless of the circumstances.

Secondly, measures to prevent rape generally tell women they shouldn't get raped in back alleys, when this is not where the majority of rapes occur, 90%ish aren't done by strangers. In more or less every other crime, measures to prevent it will target offenders, not almost always target victims.

Jun 24, 2009
A joke is a joke. The joke-teller has as much of a right to tell said offensive joke as sensitive people have the right to be offended by it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Res Plus said:
It would be a massive amount, if true. Where have you got that statistic from? It's not even close to being true, as far as I can see.

In the UK, in the highest year for incident reporting since 2003 was 2010, when 15934 cases were reported out of a 56,000,000 population. Similarly in the US, 95089 cases were reported in 2004, the highest level over the period 2003 to 2010. The US population in 2004 was 292,000,000. So 1 in 3514 and 1 in 3070. It's worth noting these two nations have by far the most cases in the Western world, although that is perhaps due to better reporting.

I completely agree it is far too high but no where near 25% or 1 in 4. Even if you factored in unbelivable levels of unreported incidents the statistic is nowhere near being close.
Well, unreported incidents are a major problem, yes, it's estimated that most, something like 90%, aren't reported.

Putting that aside, though, you are looking at reported incidents during one particular year. It's not 25% of women raped yearly, it's 25% raped at least once during their lifetimes.

So, those figures of 1 in 3514 or 1 in 3070 must by divided by the female life expectancy in years.

Res Plus said:
My issue was with the willingness of various parties to tamper with the legal system to massage conviction rates. That way lies extreme danger, the law is there to protect the weak in the court of public opinion (among many other things) and there are fewer people weaker than those accused of awful crimes. The system (in the UK) is already heavily slanted toward the victim, and I think on balance reasonable accomodation for the horrendous nature of the crime is utterly laudable, I mere don't think the actual legal process should be altered, especially having sat through a completely false and vexation claim levelled at my cousin.
I disagree that the legal system is slanted towards the victim, the conviction rates for rape tend to be tiny. However, where to draw the line in a legal system is a question that has plagued mankind at least since recorded history, there's no clear consensus on that.

However, there are still plenty of things beyond that to be done. People need to be taught more about the nature of consent, IMHO, large number of rapists remain convinced that they did nothing wrong, that they are owed sex under certain circumstances, and they have large numbers of apologists.

Similarly, you see things like the reaction to the Steubenville case, where people fell over themselves to say how tragic it was for the rapists to be convicted of rape, and how their convictions has torn the town apart. This is hardly an isolated thing, massive numbers of people do not want to acknowledge that the problem exists, and will turn against people for reporting it, and rally to defend rapists.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
nightwolf667 said:
If you see a group of six women standing in a circle, there's a good bet that one of those women has been raped and also a good bet that another of them will be. It's a sobering statistic, especially for women who face the threat of rape from just walking down the street or going out jogging alone (not even at night!).
Umm. No. It's a one in six chance for each one of those woman. Not there are six women so one has been raped, that's not how statistics work.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eddie the head said:
nightwolf667 said:
If you see a group of six women standing in a circle, there's a good bet that one of those women has been raped and also a good bet that another of them will be. It's a sobering statistic, especially for women who face the threat of rape from just walking down the street or going out jogging alone (not even at night!).
Umm. No. It's a one in six chance for each one of those woman. Not there are six women so one has been raped, that's not how statistics work.
My maths says it's about a 1 in 3 chance of at least one, assuming they are taken at random.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
In he Netherlands, newspapers make a point of not publishing the names of rape-accused suspects, we are no strangers to vigilantism and militant harrasment to either the suspect, their families or anyone that defends them, and that's before the trial.

I suppose it really matters where you're from about these things, women's rights were never really the equalist crusade here like they were in the states (except for abortion rights), and here too, rape is that special kind of evil.

As has been said before, rape is an iffy issue, proof is hard to come by and social pressure on all sides muddle the entire process, not to mention the possibility of false accusations and the life-ruining consequences of conviction, or even having your name out there as a suspect.

I remember one of my female friends sleeping with her first boyfriend years ago, being really nervous about it and eventually not wanting to.
however, when she changed her mind, they were already in the middle of the thing and she thought it'd be a dick move to bail out now, so she kept quiet until after the fact, her boyfriend was wrecked with guilt for weeks.
You can imagine that this could've gone to court very quickly.

Sex is a complex subject, it's about affection, vulnerability, control, pleasure and belonging, all these very powerful emotions can cloud judgement and cause harm, as much mental damage rape can inflict on the victim, I say chances are good rapists aren't mentally well either to begin with.

just my thoughts.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Scott Rothman said:
There isn't inherently wrong with a joke that discusses the topic of rape. The issue is with jokes that are at the expense of victims of rape.

Like, here

Joke that touches on rape and isn't offensive to victims of rape
Dropping in for 30 seconds before going to the pharmacy.

One: Your video made me laugh. (Gonna embed it into your post. You should embed things people)
Two: Because rape is rape, it can never be justified, normalised, and its not ridiculous. See, when I say "What is the difference between a truck load of sand and a truckload of babies? You cannot unload a truckload of sand with a pitch fork" that is ridiculous and fucking stupid. Just ridiculous and just fucking stupid. There will never be a truckload of babies being unloaded with a pitchfork.

You might know someone who knows someone who has been murdered. My dad lost a colleague in Pa Pua New Guinea to a screwdriver during a robbery. You might know someone who has been brutally assaulted, had a friend jumped outside Tesco, he had seven kinds of hell beaten out of him. But that is unlikely.

What is incredibly likely is that you know a rape victim. I mean, bar those specific examples, I know nobody who has been murdered or brutally (As in, hospitalised) assaulted. Yet, from the top of my head, I can name at least 4 rape victims that I knew on a personal level. Oh, wait, five. And, if I had not fought and stuggled, I would be number 6 on that list. Those are just the people that have, on a personal basis, told me about what has happened.

See, that is why Rape is just something you have to be very, very careful about joking about. That vid was fucking hilarious, that is a rape joke done well. But most are not. And you sorta have to remember that chances are you know a rape victim. Chances are you know a FEW rape victims. I do not live in a rough area, never have. Rape permeates our culture, on every level.

Its like...

Would you tell holocaust jokes with a survivor in the room? Would you crack out your "My grandad died in one of the camps, he fell out of a guard tower"? If you say yes, you are either lying or an asshole. Well, its the same with rape. Unless you know, you are CERTAIN, that there aint a survivor in the room, don't tell your fucking joke. Unless it is fucking hilarious (Like the above comedy video)

EDIT:

Watcheroftrends said:
Unfortunately, dressing in a sexual manner attracts attention that can be very bad. *SNIP*
Too busy to find the study, but a tiny minority of rapists cite sexual attraction as being anything important. As in, the people that DO the raping dont do it because "She was well fit" they do it for power. Rape is about power, about the weak being controlled by the strong. The guy that tried to rape me, a close personal friend who I trusted (Like the VAST MAJORITY OF RAPISTS.) wasn't interested in me, he wasn't fucking gay. He knew I was Bi though, he knew I was drunk, he had just had a fight with his girlfriend and he wanted power over me, he wanted to "Test" me (His words.)

So no, its not like walking around with all your money on show.

Its more like being human and having a moment of weakness when there are cunts around. Cunts who are your friends, your family. Cunts who want to have power over something because they feel small. Its not "Idealistic" to assume that women should be able to walk the streets at night, it is not even unrealistic. Most rapes are not committed by strangers. Hell, its not about showing a moment of weakness, it is just about being weaker then someone else or percieved as weaker. The guy who tried to rape me KNEW he had the power, he was popular, all bar one of my friends was one of his OLD friends, if I said anything nobody would believe me. Was it my fault for putting my assets on show?

A friend turned up on my doorstep after his mum kicked him out. I was drunk and let him come in to crash on my floor for the night. We started watching a film, he encouraged me to keep drinking (And he was abstaining and sober at the time.). Is this my fault? Really?

And, on that note, go look into some serial rapists. There was that guy caught in London who was breaking into houses are raping OAP's. That was DEFINITELY because he was sexually attracted to them, right? When men are raped in prisons, that is about sexual power, right? When gay men are raped in Iraq, before being murdered (By the police) in horrific ways, that is about sexual attraction right?

See, when feminists, like myself, go on about "Rape Culture" its helpful when people like you appear and sorta prove our points. Nothing you have said has any basis in any known study, nothing you have said has any basis in anything other than victim blaming.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I personally think that rape jokes are more touchy than racist jokes because when you are asian/ black/ jewish you are born into it and you cant change it. You cant live life feeling victimized about your race.
Whereas being a victim of rape is something that happens to you in life and the victim can act as a victim and claim that they should not be made fun of.

Either way, you are bound to offend someone with whatever you say whether you intended it or not, so I prefer not to worry about stuff like this.