On the Left 4 Dead Ban

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Interesting.. but if Fallout 3 was refused classification, how did Yahtzee get to review it? Did he visit his friends at GAMETRADERS ROBINA??

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
yourbeliefs said:
Interesting.. but if Fallout 3 was refused classification, how did Yahtzee get to review it? Did he visit his friends at GAMETRADERS ROBINA??
You'll note that Fallout 3 doesn't have Morphine at all? That's because Bethesda removed it so it could be released in Australia. Along with all the other real world drugs that were supposed to be in it, but weren't because the ACB are spineless fuckwits who know nothing about the real world.

Wow, I live the other side of the planet from Australia, and reading about this STILL gets me pissed off...

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I'm saddened that the game was banned there. How will he review L4D2 if he can't get it? Oh wait...GAME TRADERS ROBINA. Good luck Yahtzee, hope you get it.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Without a doubt the most idiotic thing i've ever seen the government do. IT'S A FUCKING GAME. A game that's not meant or indeed allowed to be be sold to minors.
Seriously...theyre going way too bloody far here.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
I'm saddened that the game was banned there. How will he review L4D2 if he can't get it? Oh wait...GAME TRADERS ROBINA. Good luck Yahtzee, hope you get it.
He can still review it. He should be able to download it on Steam.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Why does everyone hate blood and gore? It's anatomy. And violence is a natural occurance. Kids are gonna see it in school anyways...

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
This whole "think of the children" mantra has seriously got to stop. I once had a Political Science professor who thought that a major source of conflict in modern politics are laws, regulations, and restrictions that are in place for the sole purpose of protecting the innocence of children. Ironically, he was also Australian.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Well, at this rate all of Australia's children will move away because they won't be able to watch anything more than a blank screen because the government is trying to protect them.

I guess I'll follow the trend and put GAMETRADERS ROBINA in my post as well.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
It's a shame because all the stuff the ACB are bitching about are everytihng that makes it fun to play. Those dicks.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
oppp7 said:
Why does everyone hate blood and gore? It's anatomy. And violence is a natural occurrence. Kids are gonna see it in school anyways...
Do you live in Sparta or something, where blood and gore are an everyday part of school?

Psepha

Apr 3, 2009
DRADIS C0ntact said:
That's a point. Isn't this really not that big a deal, since Steam exists? Or will there be something I don't know about (who knows, I guess that could happen) that would stop Australians from doing that too?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Holy batman, i never relised how strict the Ozzy gameboard are! Won't it make sense just to make a strict 18+ certificate?
Or an in-game feature where it would kindly offer a "too much gore and blood for you? Do you want the "infected" to shoot candy from their guts instead? YES - NO"

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Much as I luuuurve getting into political arguments, I've always held a bit of a belief that corruption and oppression comes out far easier when far fewer people CARE. I have no knowledge of the political base or the public form of outcry in the down-under, but a good amount of protest as well as people in *decent* positions of power, if not commanding, can make efforts to provide rational solutions as opposed to letting fatheads who believe they know what's best tell everyone what to do.

Not that my homeland can be much better at times. It is, after all, amazing how thousands and thousands of conserv-- LOYAL American citizens can turn up at some rally with picket signs with varying degrees of spelling and grammatical correctness all because some fathead who gets a prime spot on the TV only because he brings in the ratings told them to.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Psepha said:
DRADIS C0ntact said:
That's a point. Isn't this really not that big a deal, since Steam exists? Or will there be something I don't know about (who knows, I guess that could happen) that would stop Australians from doing that too?
Since steam is regionalised if you have an Australian IP it will mean that steam wont give you that game

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I don't think the government's arguement was well thought out enough. They actually didn't consider that teh average gamer age is 30, which leads me to believe they did nothing but point fingers at a game without doing any outside research.
And you're right about the age restrictions on games. A 12 year old can't go into a Gamestop and buy a M(18+) game without being asked for his/her ID.
The government's arguement was very weak sounding to me. Although I am not directly impacted by the Aussie government's decision, I do feel sympathy for those who are going to be Left 4 Dead 2less.

Psepha

Apr 3, 2009
Zenode said:
Since steam is regionalised if you have an Australian IP it will mean that steam wont give you that game
Oh. Well damn, this really does suck for Australia then. :(

robkun

Sep 25, 2009
It's the principle at stake. Of course we've gone through these moral panics a thousand times, from Lady Chatterley's Lover in the 1900s, through to rock 'n' roll music in the 1950s, the Child's Play movies in the 80s and onwards now to video games. It's all about whether you can trust the masses to make their own decisions, or do you make their mind up for them.

And steam won't work if you want to buy it on console.