On Time Travel

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Should I assume the last part about Majora's Mask is a knock on the game itself?

Also I think that Singularity is MILES ahead of Timeshift. The guns are better, the time travel is reasonable and not reality-breaking like Timeshift's (as Yahtzee pointed out), and, if I remember correctly, Singularity has more variety enemy-wise.

And sure Singularity's ending is cliche time travel correction but at least there is an ending.

The ending of Timeshift was so abrupt it annoyed the crap out of me. It made sense but it wasn't very good.

mrtenk

Aug 4, 2009
hey yahtzee, on the subject of Time Travel...

Whatever the hell happened to Game Damage? weren't you going to make a new pilot for the show?

justjrandomuser

Jul 27, 2010
I'll never understand all the hate mail you get, but I'm glad you get it if only for the amusement if provides when you rip on it. I love the ZP reviews, even when you rip on the games I like! Ignore the fan-boys and keep it up, except review more shit so I don't have to keep re-watching past reviews in anticipation of Wednesdays!

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
Chris E. is truly a great man. He sure put you in your place Yahtzee! Ha Ha Ha.... Bored now.

Calumon: Half Life 2 had a way of travelling forward in time.

Jack: You've never played it! How the bloody hell do you know?

Calumon: I'm made of data and copy your memories while you sleep.

Calumon, you're awesome. Can you copy annnyones memories ?.?
And Jack, why you never let Calumon play Half-life 2, that's not nice, loose 2 points.

On topic:
I too found that little message much to my amusement. I would point out other time travel games but from his consideration of the ones he discused I don't think it right to lead a horse to slaughter.

klipton

Jun 8, 2010
Almost every game you play you move "forward" in time.
On a more serious note: Chronotron http://www.kongregate.com/games/Scarybug/chronotron

griffinmills

Apr 7, 2008
Misery loves company so we all get to read a letter from Chris E? Thanks? Ha.

Are we to imply from the last bit that mentioning Majora's Mask is Chris E level of poor? I'd disagree with that assessment, personally. I really enjoyed it as a "twisted tales" sort of take on Zelda games with all the good game play and level design that comes with it being a product of the actual Zelda game people.

As for games that I doubt anyone will defend, the original "Journeyman Project" was one of those "like Myst BUT" games that had time travel and original Myst style game play and none of the "good" like you want.

Clive Barker's Undying had a feature where you could watch ghosts endlessly replay the past through your "ghost vision" spell. It was frequently very useful for finding goodies and sometimes for advancing the plot but wasn't strictly time travel I suppose.

How about Braid? Pretty tight little game all around I'd say.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Starcraft 2 previews seem to invoke time travel to bring us back to the one bit of plot anyone actually gave a damn about; ie Kerrigan getting /gkicked.

Anyway, now that I think of it most all the games I've played recently involve vicarious revivification of the past via audio logs and whatnot, if not time travel itself. Even WoW has several segments with ghosts and such to show/involve players in what happened in the past.

Sholmes

Aug 2, 2010
Hmm, well, Chrono Trigger is an obvious choice if I am mentioning good games which make use of time travel

also, Star Ocean was pretty good

and I had a blast playing Ape Escape on the Playstation when I was a kid.

lol, startropics II is on that list
I don't know whether that game was good or bad because I could never get out of the snowy mountains in the start without dying, but I can tell you that the story for that series is RE-TAR-DED.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
i think the only games i own that use time travel are dark cloud 1 and 2

Confidingtripod

May 29, 2010
Neverwinter nights time travel sandbox was a good one:not only are you stopping some anchiant evil from coming back, you find out you are the cause of a rebellion that defeated it in the first place, small but elegant sort of like the acrobat-miget of vidiogame time-travel

IGDetail

Jul 29, 2009
Time Commando ... added it to the Wiki too. From what I remember, the graphics were great (at the time) but the control was iffy because of the angles. I enjoyed the variety in the weapons too. I don't remember too many games where the main weapons are sticks and stones in one level and laser pistols in another.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Since he mentioned it, Majora's Mask rocks. Ocarina of Time had some realism issues (such as the windmill man knowing the song that you haven't gone back to use to dry up the windmill yet), but I guess MM probably would have had some of those if we'd got to see the effects of the timetravel in the distant future.

OoA was horrible in terms of logic.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
klipton said:
On a more serious note: Chronotron http://www.kongregate.com/games/Scarybug/chronotron
In the Zelda franchise it is different. Majora's Mask and oracles of Ages are games where you go back in time. OoT too, I guess - since the first time we skip seven years ahead in time is not real timetravel, Link is just asleep.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Well he did start Dear Yahtzee so that gives him 1 point for tact.
However he didn't spell 100 out so he loses a point for poor letter grammer.

bloodshed113094

Jul 16, 2010
Wow, that's just freaky, because as i read this i am currently halfway through replaying Majora's Mask and it has to be my favorite game of the decade, and no even if ocarina of time was made in 2000 and Majora's Mask later, i would still say Majora's Mask. I have no idea why but i love the game and feel like in comparison ocarina of time had something missing. Oh yeah that's right, outside the royal family's of legend of Zelda (Goron, Zora, human and farmers) people actually have a story to go with them and for every mask you have a different ability, including having the ocarina. I don't know why people ***** its' short, it's like portal, it doesn't overstay it's welcome. holy crap i really got off topic. Oh well

bloodshed113094

Jul 16, 2010
Warped_Ghost said:
Well he did start Dear Yahtzee so that gives him 1 point for tact.
However he didn't spell 100 out so he loses a point for poor letter grammer.
-.- rely. The rule is if it's under 100 you spell it out, and i even think spelling ninety-nine is pushing it a little.

bloodshed113094

Jul 16, 2010
klipton said:
TimeShift i played for the first three chapters and i know it went back in time.
Ocarina of Time went back in time before you could even get past one of the bosses and at the end to make way for him being a kid in, well this.
Majora's Mask went back in time neatly every dungeon and even if you could fit them all in one day, yes i mean you Adrian, you still have to do it to not be a Deku shrub the entire game unless you use cheats.
needless to say, Prince of Persia has you time travel back so you don't have to go to the last check point if you fuck up.
And i don't know shit's worth of that many games, but if any have it that you stop the entire game from happening somehow, that's traveling back in time, technically.

Snooch_to_the_nooch

Sep 25, 2009
As I step blindingly from my cave of solitude I will now jump on the band wagon to give my two sense on my favorite time implemented game (All three of them). As I'm sure the text is getting very heavy, yes Crono Trigger did it best, Deus Ex was fun but ugly, and the Zelda games will rape this concept forever. (As if any of this needed to be said, I'm sure I've unknowingly plagiarized at least two posts on this forum).

I'mANinja

Aug 4, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I want to know whatever happened to that RTS that was supposed to use time travel as a gameplay element?
I think I saw that on the wikipedia link that was in the article, it said Q1 2011.

Edit: this game http://achrongame.com/

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
Hm... I don't think I've ever played any sort of game with time travel implemented to it. Or, well, maybe that one tiny bit in Half Life 2 after Judith betrays you, but that's not really time travel as far as I can tell. More like being in an outer-dimesional static state for a period of time.

The only way time travel could be a well-implemented aspect of gameplay as far as I understand would be in a sandbox game where nothing is tied to any specific plot, enabling you to just play around and see how everything changes as you go back or forth.

And would the results be that violent should you touch anything in frozen time? How does that work? Would love to see an informative page about that.