One Direction fanfic to be published as novel

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
http://shelf-life.ew.com/2012/10/08/one-direction-fanfic-book-deal/

If you don't want to read the article (and I don't blame you for that), here's the rundown:

16-year-old girl writes a fanfic where her author-insertion persona is in a love triangle with two of the members of One Direction.

Said fanfic captures the attention of some publishing suits who were specifically looking for "a romantic YA novel that 'tapped into the current obsession with boy bands.'"

First 50 Shades of Gray (originally written as a Twilight fanfic) skyrockets to the top of the charts...now this? This shit needs to stop. Seriously...

Cue storm of cynicism about art/entertainment, One Direction hate, and "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" memes. Bring 'em on. I could really use the solidarity.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Now, I've never been an advocate for book burning...

But publishers are sure giving us a lot of material to burn here!

Also, I really hope the sales of this book go one direction: DOWN

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Well damn. Though that being said it may not make it to the charts. Hopefully.... 50 Shades got big for it's portrayal of "BDSM" or what the author thinks that kind of sex life is like. This probably won't make it as big as that. I've read through 50 shades, it was so shoddily written I couldn't believe it was on the charts. I wrote a review on it (not posted on the internet, it's one a friend requested me to write) And I just can't quite describe how bad everything is in it. Of course, that's just my opinion, yada yada yada...

A fanfiction about One Direction though... I'm sure it will be good to all those girls who like them, but I don't think it will make it big time.

At least I hope not! And here is some solidarity for you good sir!

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
remnant_phoenix said:
Cue storm of cynicism about art/entertainment, One Direction hate, and "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" memes. Bring 'em on. I could really use the solidarity.
Kill the fun you fun killer.
[sub][sub]I'm joking of course[/sub][/sub]

OT: 50 Shades of Gray made envious amounts of money, so of course people are going to piggyback on that.
She's a lucky girl, I'm sure for her success story, there are dozens and dozens of people who wrote similar self insertion fanfics that never got picked up.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
And this is why writers are some of the most depressing people on Earth.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
I say good for her.

The YA novels I remember reading were pretty awful, but I loved them. What teenage girl, obsessed with One Direction wouldn't want to star in their very own love triangle with them?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

Oh, this is just fantastic. You know when people are getting stuff like this printed, anything can be published.

Digging the new captchas by the way.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
I think Jim Sterling's latest video is relevant to this. Except instead of game publishers, we now have book publishers wanting to take the "safe route" and sell what is popular.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Moth_Monk said:
I think Jim Sterling's latest video is relevant to this. Except instead of game publishers, we now have book publishers wanting to take the "safe route" and sell what is popular.
We've always had that. "Let's sell what isn't popular at all!" has rarely been a book publisher's slogan.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
What did books ever do to deserve this?!

If anybody wants me, you'll fin me half-way down a bottle of Gin... crying.

Magic Muffin Man

Jul 20, 2009
Playing the Devil's Advocate here, but I say good for her! She's a young writer who's getting a foot in the door with a fun writing project she made in her spare time. Sure, it's probably cliche-ridden drivel, but she's also a 16 year old girl who doesn't know any better. I won't be reading the book, but if the book appeals to a demographic that longs for sex scenes involving the latest radio-friendly unit shifter, then by God, let them have it. Doesn't hurt me, really.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
And to think that other more deserving authours get a pass from being published >.>.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Dear America

We apologise for One Direction, but you gave us Backstreet Boys, so we are all square now.

Sincerly Britain

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Queen Michael said:
Yay! I love getting opportunities to criticize books I haven't read a word of!
It's a fan fiction. About a shitty boyband. Written by a sixteen year old.

Thats like all the ingredients you need to make something brain meltingly awful. Sure, none of us have read a word of it, but if someone makes a sandwich with moldy bread, dog turds and powdered sewage, you don't need to take a bite to know it'll be awful.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I love how the market shows that teen women apparently are supposed to have sex/have relationships as much as possible during high school years.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Elect G-Max said:
Please explain what "One Direction" means and how it is relevant to fanfiction.

I honestly don't think it's a bad thing. Unknown writers having greater access to publish to a wider audience isn't something I consider a bad thing. No one's going to hold a gun to your head and make you buy it. But a no-name SciFi author might be able to publish the next Neuromancer under an independent publishing company after having been tossed aside by the big publishing companies. It could happen...