One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
I honestly couldn't give a damn. I only used my PS3 to watch blu ray and to play a handful of exclusive titles. I think the info I had on file was two residences and 1 credit card old.

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
ThatDaveDude1 said:
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
You're thinking of the 3DS.
Nope, you're thinking of the PSPGo.

I am sticking with Playstation because I don't like the way Microsoft or Nintendo are doing business any better. I AM waiting to see what the next Nintendo console will look like but with poor third party support, I still think I am going to be a longtime Sony gamer... unless this puts Playstation out of business... which it won't.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
HankMan said:
Master Chief
http://s.lowyat.net/uploads//attach-80/post-77480-1218891739_thumb.jpg
WANTS YOU
To buy an Xbox 360
Goddammit I want that as a poster!

Musiclly enhanced

Sep 8, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?

I kind of pity Sony. I feel like this might severely damages their chances at doing any good in future console races.
Yes possibly except for E.T for the atari 2600
or dragon ageII :D

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
People don't even know if SONY's defenses were good or shitty yet and they're simply yelling "HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!?" as if this has happened every year since the PS1 was released 11 years ago. Once in 11 years is actually a fucking good run.
Although I do agree with most of your points, this quote is wrong.
Once in 11 years? Try more like Once in 5 years.

The PS1 was hacked, the PS2 was hacked (albeit both were via 'chipping') and now the PS3 has been hacked to the most severe method, the internet aspect which is hurting the gamers, their userbase.

Honestly you don't see the Wii and the 360 being hacked to this method, why? Because their infrastructure is probably a lot more secure than the PS3's (although I'm not saying the PS3's was bad, as per your point we don't really know how good it actually was, but clearly Xbox and Wii's are more secure, otherwise this would have happened to them before now)

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
thejackyl said:
As much as I liked the XBOX, I didn't like having to pay the $15 a month extra for online bullshit. (can you still access XBLA and such with the free subscription?)
Yes, you can download anything with the free XBL service. You just can't play online multiplayer type stuff or use the extras, like Netflix, Last.fm, etc.

And where the hell are you getting $15 a month? My last subscription (purchased like a week ago) only cost me $40, and that was for an entire year.

Apr 24, 2008
Really? But the 360 is such a barren wasteland right now, I haven't switched mine on since Alan Wake.

Actually, if the average user is just endlessly playing CoD they're probably better off with a 360, if just for the more appropriate controller.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
I was eyeing the exit before this fiasco.
I loved the ps2, but the ps3 has just been going downhill for a while now.
I can see this being the last straw for a lot of people.

I doubt I'll get a 360 instead. I probably will be building a new pc pretty soon though.
Don't forget set the set screws...the memories still haunt me.

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
AndrewC said:
Remember the days when the world wasn't so dependant on teh interwebz :p
lolwut? No interwebz? Did you see dinosaurs too?

OT: Well, my first response to this debacle was laughter but now I'm sad because you just know this isn't going to impact the industry in a postive manner.

Oh and Geohot? Fuck you.

drbarno said:
HankMan said:
Master Chief
http://s.lowyat.net/uploads//attach-80/post-77480-1218891739_thumb.jpg
WANTS YOU
To buy an Xbox 360
Goddammit I want that as a poster!
Fuck posters, get that in shirt form!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
MattAn24 said:
Snotnarok said:
Veloxe said:
I wonder what fraction of that 1/5th is actually seriously going to stop using PSN entirely and go over to 360 and how many are just stomping their feet until the PSN comes back up and they go back to it like nothing ever happened.
I think it's less about it being down and more about Sony losing info to hackers and then not making a real effort to tell it's users. They posted on their blog instead of their newsletter which probably has 20x the subscribers. I didn't even know they had a blog.
Wait.. You didn't know they had an official website? That's what their blog is. THE PlayStation site. EVERYTHING goes there before any of the automatic newsletters which only promote new games and PSN deals.

Please.. You have GOT to be kidding.
Obviously that's not where everything goes because I'm subscribed to their news letter and the only way I found out about the leakage was the escapist. No I'm not kidding. This is a serious fuck up on their end they should be using their newsletter for what it was intended, letting people know of updates and not just advertising.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
whiteshark12 said:
I honestly think that the Console Wars should draw to a close soon, I can see no counter to having 77 million accounts breached.
True but there is no proof credit card information has been taken is there? At least not yet. I'll remain a faithful consumer to Sony because this is the first ever problem that I've had with them.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Sticking with Sony and my PS3. Not enough games on the 360 to make me want to switch.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I enjoy not paying a monthly fee for my internet service and if someone does use my CC number then yeah I'm betting sony will pay for the identity protection stuff my bank offers. If they don't, then there will be a serious problem but I trust sony with that.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
Nah, you can't ever top the Jaguar, N-GAGE or 3DO.
*rimshot*

In all seriousness, I was dubious of Sony's business strategy before. Yet, my sense of smug vindication is trumped entirely by my concern for the future. I wanted to see Sony improve their business model; but instead they've consistently demanded that their customers step aside and let Sony dictate control of everything, under the pretense of Copyright enforcement.

As someone who professionally studied and practiced network security, I knew their approach was flawed. I recall how the full source code for Windows NT was leaked onto the net years back. Did this cripple Microsoft with an influx of unstoppable malware?
Actually no; the opposite occurred. Peer-review and direct intervention allowed for private entities to better identify and develop protection from most of those attacks. Flaws in security handling were identified before real crippling damage was done.
Keep in mind, Windows XP was built on the framework of NT, rather than the old Pseudo-DOS system that M$ used for 95, 98, and ME.

Without consistent network tempering, you are simply betting against the clock, and time is NEVER on your side. Someone with enough time and know-how can undo what you did. Someone DID undo Sony's security and made off big-time.

Now, we've seen that our trust was misplaced. The tradeoff of letting Sony attempt to control/own every part of the system has been rendered pointless. PSN went down, and nobody is benefiting from it except the criminal(s).

The Hell of it? Assuming Sony survives this fiasco, they will use this as an excuse to introduce even more draconian DRM or similar measures into their future products, though I won't be a part of it: this marks the end of my business with Sony.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
Snotnarok said:
MattAn24 said:
Snotnarok said:
Veloxe said:
I wonder what fraction of that 1/5th is actually seriously going to stop using PSN entirely and go over to 360 and how many are just stomping their feet until the PSN comes back up and they go back to it like nothing ever happened.
I think it's less about it being down and more about Sony losing info to hackers and then not making a real effort to tell it's users. They posted on their blog instead of their newsletter which probably has 20x the subscribers. I didn't even know they had a blog.
Wait.. You didn't know they had an official website? That's what their blog is. THE PlayStation site. EVERYTHING goes there before any of the automatic newsletters which only promote new games and PSN deals.

Obviously that's not where everything goes because I'm subscribed to their news letter and the only way I found out about the leakage was the escapist. No I'm not kidding. This is a serious fuck up on their end they should be using their newsletter for what it was intended, letting people know of updates and not just advertising.
So what are you going to jump up and down now and say, "WHAT? I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A SCEA?" as well? You hear about the blog all the time, and they did actually send out letters to email addresses they had. They didnt know for sure that information was stolen until when they told us, its not like they found the hackers shut down the network and immediately knew things had been stolen, it was far more likely they were more the victims than their consumers, as the hackers were probably more likely to steal stuff off of PSN. When they did know for sure they told us. The newsletter does not give updates about the news but rather new information on popular games. If people were worried about it, they could have easily checked the Playstation Blog, you know the OFFICIAL playstation blog thats been around for years?

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Wah these are horrible times for sony....it will take some time for it go get back on its feet after such a brutal knock-out :X
And i dont want the Xbox to get more popular :(

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I tend to say "Ask them again a month from now." I'm rather doubting that a full fifth of the PS3 market is actually going to navigate. I'd be surprised if it was half of that. I tend to think of gamers as being pretty convenience-minded, and the idea of assembling a new game library and signing up for a new multiplayer network and so on can be pretty off-putting.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Rex Fallout said:
Snotnarok said:
MattAn24 said:
Snotnarok said:
Veloxe said:

So what are you going to jump up and down now and say, "WHAT? I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A SCEA?" as well? You hear about the blog all the time, and they did actually send out letters to email addresses they had. They didnt know for sure that information was stolen until when they told us, its not like they found the hackers shut down the network and immediately knew things had been stolen, it was far more likely they were more the victims than their consumers, as the hackers were probably more likely to steal stuff off of PSN. When they did know for sure they told us. The newsletter does not give updates about the news but rather new information on popular games. If people were worried about it, they could have easily checked the Playstation Blog, you know the OFFICIAL playstation blog thats been around for years?
I'm subscribed to their news letter and I've received nothing, and I don't check their website because I'm subscribed to their news letter. Way to overreact man, not knowing they had a blog is sure easy to tie into not knowing about the SCEA.

Had I gotten an email from their PSN nonsense I wouldn't be posting this now would I? I found out here and the most I've gotten from Sony is new offers on the PSN every week. Now from my perspective how would you react to that?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Well I'm staying in this fight, the console itself is perfectly fine as it is. This seems to me like just another knee jerk reaction to major news media