One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
raklin said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
You're thinking of the 3DS.
And you're thinking of the ET game that nearly killed gaming in it's infantile stage.

:p
It almost killed console gaming in it's infantile stage. Computer gaming was around since NIM and that was 1942.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Just because you pay for X-Box Live doesn't mean you are safe. Nuff said.

I wonder what Nintendo will do. They're launching their shop on the 3DS soon aren't they?

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
LOL MICRO$OFT ARE TEH BEST, LOL SONY.

This is a pretty big problem for Sony (understatement), I'm not exactly their biggest fan but I do hope they resolve this.

Remember the days when the world wasn't so dependant on teh interwebz :p

Nov 28, 2007
Awexsome said:
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Awexsome said:
Well good job Geohotz.

By giving others the capability to break the law you've succeeded in hurting a major corporation. Go burn in hell.

Perhaps Sony could've done better but that doesn't exempt him of what he did. He let this happen with his innocent little, "Oh I can't control what people do with it." Fuck you. Fuck you Geo and die.
You do realise he only messed with the hardware right? I'm no expert with these things, but I'm pretty sure he didn't anything that could help people hack PSN.
He messed with the hardware and released the code to give people full access on how to mod their PS3s. From an old news report people could mod their consoles into giving them priveledges they shouldn't have that would only be reserved for developers and Sony themselves.

His fault.
So, information on how to mod a console=ability to hack into PSN and steal identities? Shit...better stop playing KOTOR over Steam. After all, that game has been modded, so a hacker could use the game to access my account information on Steam!

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Awexsome said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Good. Maybe SONY will think again before sending personal information in non-encrypted fucking text files.

herp derp
Source?
Credit card data was encrypted, but Sony admitted that user information was not encrypted at the time of the intrusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Network_outage

Wikipedia's sources are from the Guardian and Playstation blog.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not switching, don't have the money. I do have a couple alternatives, Wii and PC, but I'll keep my PS3. More space for me.

Isn't it obvious that said hackers would just follow the crowd and break the Live network next? I mean, its like hunters following the migrations of a herd.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
One fifth? That's it? Well maybe they'll take some of the squeaky voiced people with them. My poor bleeding ears don't need high-pitched swears.
I think the only thing that'd make me move to the X-Box would be a free gaming service.
Seriously, I got laid off and I pay $47 a month for net; there's no way I'm gonna shell out more for online service.
Veloxe said:
I wonder what fraction of that 1/5th is actually seriously going to stop using PSN entirely and go over to 360 and how many are just stomping their feet until the PSN comes back up and they go back to it like nothing ever happened.
I suspect a portion of that 1/5 will move back to PSN once it comes back online.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
AC10 said:
edit: but yeah, if you want your fix of JRPGs then the PC isn't really the best place to be.
Hell, you want your fix of ANYTHING Japanese, PC really isn't the best place to be.

Shame, really. Japan just really hates the PC, it seems.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I, in my incredibly uneducated opinion, am starting to suspect that I'm watching the fall of the once glorious Playstation. If the bad news continues to come along, then the next generation of consoles I will be the proud owner of a Microsoft thingy and not a Sony one.

Or maybe I'll just stick to PC gaming.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
As I've stated many times before, I don't OWN a PS3. Never considered purchasing one. I have a PSP with 5-6 UMD games and an Xbox 360 (which, to be honest, I haven't been using that much)

The ONLY game that would make me consider getting a PS3 is Uncharted 3 (never cared for the first two, but better late than never?) and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. If Versus XIII gets a 360 release, then I won't have to get a PS3!

Honestly though.. I'm cautious of the PS3 BECAUSE OF THE HACKERS. Microsoft has a set Code of Conduct in place against hackers and cheaters. Games are much more enjoyable because people don't have that freedom to do WHATEVER THEY WANT.

Sony's buckled under peer pressure by the hacker community because Other OS/Linux was removed and they were striking back against hackers abusing the console. Hell, the PSP has also had vicious exploits causing CFW, etc.. Let's hope the NGP/PSP2 has STRICT settings in place so hackers don't fuck with it..

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Only 1/5?
Considering how much it'll cost Sony to do anything more than scratch their balls, I wouldn't be surprised if 1/2 of the people who mistakenly bought a PS3 were eyeing the xbox or PC options.
On second thought, scratching their balls will probably cause another serious system error and bump 1/5 up to 2/5 lol

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Wargamer said:
I for one cannot afford to buy a new console, and that's not even factoring in PS3 exclusives, buying new games and the fees XBL charges.

In short, unless Microsoft is going to hand over £500 worth of equipment and games pro gratis, I'm not siding with them.
Pretty much this as well. I just don't have the money to get a whole new console, games and other things for getting a 360. The hardware problems with that system have always kept me away from it. I know every system can suffer from problems but jeez...

As for Sony? Get your shit together guys or else this could be the end....

Sorry to sound all drama queen but that's just how I feel about this whole mess.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Tiswas said:
Just because you pay for X-Box Live doesn't mean you are safe. Nuff said.

I wonder what Nintendo will do. They're launching their shop on the 3DS soon aren't they?
Yes. But just like the Wii...they never store your credit card info. You have re enter it everytime you want to add points

Kirkpad

Mar 18, 2010
EDIT: Did the math, 184 people said they were considering buying a 360. Sad news for Sony indeed.

1/5th of 41% of 2100 people. That is like 250 people. Big freakin' deal.

/sarcasm