One-Fifth of PS3 Owners Are Eyeing the Exit

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
ThatDaveDude1 said:
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
You're thinking of the 3DS.
No troll. That would be the PSP-Go and that's technically the 2nd in this generation. This phlishing scam is fighting for 1st with the security key
ZeroMachine said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
ZeroMachine said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the biggest video-game related fuck-up catastrophe ever?
You're thinking of the 3DS.
So the 3DS has gotten thousands (millions?) of people's information stolen and has knocked people out of possibly multiple services that they may or may not have payed for? For over a week?

This is news to me.

Yeah, looking for a serious answer here, not a "I hate Nintendo lawls" answer. The 3DS is making them money. Your argument is invalid.
I got that impression too when I read that post

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
I'm on both. Xbox LIVE is great. PSN is crap, for the most part.
There, that should put the debate to rest. (Sarcasm, just in case the dimwits don't catch it)

whiteshark12

Jan 30, 2011
Also, this is a conspiracy by Sony to win it's court case against Geohot or whichever hacker they've gone out of their way to sue.

May 25, 2010
Awexsome said:
Well good job Geohotz.

By giving others the capability to break the law you've succeeded in hurting a major corporation. Go burn in hell.

Perhaps Sony could've done better but that doesn't exempt him of what he did. He let this happen with his innocent little, "Oh I can't control what people do with it." Fuck you. Fuck you Geo and die.
You do realise he only messed with the hardware right? I'm no expert with these things, but I'm pretty sure he didn't anything that could help people hack PSN.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
...the survey encompassed 2132 people across the U.S...
There's really no reason to doubt the truth of the results, but this seems like a tiny sample size. Like...2,000? That's half the size of my old High School. The potential for bias is enormous.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
I'm not switching.

Honestly, I think once the initial rage cools, people will remember why they went with the PS3 in the first place. I have no doubt that things will renormalize once things get back to normal.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
I won't switch to Xbox360 while Sony still supports the PS3. A little downtime doesn't bother me.

My big issue is that this might mean the end of PlayStation as we know it. I mean what if the analysts are right? What if this actually costs Sony 24 billion? Even for a company like them, that's still a lot of cash. The PS3 and PSP haven't exactly been cash cows, not even as of late when they both seemed to be doing better. Sony could, rightfully, decide that their PlayStation division just isn't worth keeping around anymore. That would make me very sad.
I don't think Sony would close it down completely, they have too many first party studios and licenses... but what I could realistically see happening is the following:

1. PSN is no longer free. If they have to upgrade the security of the thing they may have to offset the cost. Will it be as much as LIVE? Probably not, but I could see them copying LIVE's model of offering free services but having a paid model for online play.

2. They could let go of a few first party game studios or decide they can't afford to keep all of their IP exclusive.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Bara_no_Hime said:
I'm not switching.

Honestly, I think once the initial rage cools, people will remember why they went with the PS3 in the first place. I have no doubt that things will renormalize once things get back to normal.
I'll laugh my ass off if people sell there ps3 then regret doing so

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Huh, that's weird; even without PSN, my PS3 gets more use than my 360. Isn't every person in the civilized world required to own two DSes, in the mean time?

I should really hope that Sony's gaming division doesn't shut down, at least until the end of this console generation, but if they can't get their act together, I won't miss the PlayStation.

Celtic_Kerr said:
Yeah, I'm pissed it happened to me too, but people are over reacting. People swinging the litigation hammer, claiming to represent us all (Fuck you, no you don't represent me) thinking they can rush SONY into doing a better job if they scare them with litigation.

Let me tell you something. Make SONY focus on a court case AND this and it'll go slower.
I have to agree with you on two points, there. Firstly, those class action suits? Yeah, I expect zero dollars from any of them. Secondly, this reminds me of what happened to MineCraft, except in a different order. Devs getting delayed by fans who are then angered by the delays.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Awexsome said:
Well good job Geohotz.

By giving others the capability to break the law you've succeeded in hurting a major corporation. Go burn in hell.

Perhaps Sony could've done better but that doesn't exempt him of what he did. He let this happen with his innocent little, "Oh I can't control what people do with it." Fuck you. Fuck you Geo and die.
You do realise he only messed with the hardware right? I'm no expert with these things, but I'm pretty sure he didn't anything that could help people hack PSN.
He messed with the hardware and released the code to give people full access on how to mod their PS3s. From an old news report people could mod their consoles into giving them priveledges they shouldn't have that would only be reserved for developers and Sony themselves.

His fault.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
Good. Maybe SONY will think again before sending personal information in non-encrypted fucking text files.

herp derp
Source?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'll just disconnect the big black lay-about for now. No need to get rid of it all together.

"No more internet for you, PS3!"

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
AC10 said:
Jump on to PC instead!
You know you want to ;)
Nah. A lot of PS3 owners are JRPG fans...and PC never gets any JRPG love at all. The last major title it has was...Last Remnant? In all it's mediocrity.

360 gets a fair bit of JRPG love, though.

OT:

I jumped to Sony. I'm not jumping back to MS.

I can't even message people with my "free" account now. Fucking bullshit.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
TPiddy said:
tony2077 said:
i wonder how many people here are hypocrites
Says the PS3 fanboy with the XBox game box art for an avatar? :)
not really a fanboy since i own a xbox a 360 a ps2 a ps3 and a pc and i like every one of them well except the xbox damn thing died . my 360 had one problem but i got a new one and that problem never came back

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
360 had the RROD for years, PSN just died. PC gaming is expensive to keep hardware up to date. Boy what we all put up with.

I doubt many people will sell their ps3's. probably affect buying them though. The big thing for me is the ps3=bluray player, im not going to sell it to buy a 360 and a bluray player.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
AC10 said:
Jump on to PC instead!
You know you want to ;)
Nah. A lot of PS3 owners are JRPG fans...and PC never gets any JRPG love at all. The last major title it has was...Last Remnant? In all it's mediocrity.

360 gets a fair bit of JRPG love, though.

OT:

I jumped to Sony. I'm not jumping back to MS.

I can't even message people with my "free" account now. Fucking bullshit.
Last Remnant was pretty good on PC... providing you used a controller.
Mainly in that the game didn't have crazy lag and load time issues.

edit: but yeah, if you want your fix of JRPGs then the PC isn't really the best place to be.