One Million Moms Boycotts "Perverted" Muppets Series

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Let's make one thing clear. These people aren't motivated by concern for children. They think so, but they're not.

What motivates them is the feeling of superiority. By seeing filth and horror everywhere, they get thousands of chances to feel superior. Doritos support gay people? The Muppets make inappropriate jokes? That makes it so much easier to be a Good Person! Hurray! No need to feed the hungry. Don't bother helping the needy. You're morally superior because you bought a diferent brand of chips and didn't watch that TV show!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Fanghawk said:
Before we rush to defend the original "family-friendly" Muppets, let's all remember that classic episode where Miss Piggy stole Rudolf Nureyev's towel in the sauna.
Oh, the Muppets have always been pretty "family-friendly", and they still are. One Million Moms are just a bunch of curtain-twitching Puritan busybodies without a clue.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Kotaro said:
"The Muppets are finally back on television, but One Million Moms doesn't find them to be family-friendly anymore."
I'm sorry, but did they watch the original Muppet Show? There was always adult humor present.
Whatcha wanna bet they're actually thinking of Muppet Babies?

The Almighty Aardvark said:
hermes200 said:
... because ONE woman (One < One million), had problems with it. She wasn't even that prominent, not a politician or a public figure.
Note that 48,000 is also less than a million, which happens to be the number of members in One Million Moms
lol still better than "The Catholic League."
Remember how it only had a SINGLE member until the 1980s?
Kind of a shame they have such a large membership these days (so they claim) Just goes to show politics and moral outrage is just ironic shitposting for old people. Eventually, the idiots that REALLY believe that nonsense show up.

FLSH_BNG

May 27, 2008
"Hurr I don't remember the Muppets being so 'adult' before!"

Probably because the last time you saw them you were a kid and all that stuff went over your head; your kids aren't going to pick up on it yet either.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I can't take a hate group seriously when they can't even count their actual numbers.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I agree! Gonzo shouldn't be allowed to appear on TV with his "thing" hanging out like that!

It's about time this pervert is forced to stop molesting our children's eyes.

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
While it's odd for a kids show to "rebrand", there's nothing to stop them doing it (though it'd be weird if they tried to appeal to both. Then again, Superhero comics/movies kind of do that now)

The fact they whined BEFORE the episode was out means they should have been ignored from the start. Adverts may have given an overall idea, but what kind of moron decides to fire off their POV before they have all the facts?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I have to wonder what any of those "One Million Moms" watched when they were kids.
OMM were never kids. They were birthed from pods.

Grouchy Imp said:
So, hang on ... a group called One Million Moms disapproves of sex?
See above.

ChaoGuy2006 said:
While it's odd for a kids show to "rebrand", there's nothing to stop them doing it (though it'd be weird if they tried to appeal to both. Then again, Superhero comics/movies kind of do that now)
The format of the show may have been "rebranded," but the humour has not. The Muppets have always skirted the edges of what was considered "family friendly." It's just that times have changed, and what's acceptable has also changed. It's just that some people are still a part of the 70s.

...Though I'd note that in the 80s, Mel Brooks movies were showing on TV during time slots kids would be expected to be home and watching. I remember History of the World, Part 1 on TV. I remember watching it on hom video years later and being amazed at how little was edited out.

'course, the other thing is the humour mostly flew over kids' heads. As I suspect is the case with current Muppet humour. And past muppet humour.

Also, there were a lot of Village People songs on. And even if they weren't intended to be about homosexuality, that was what the moral crusaders thought, and it caused a fuss.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: meet the new frog, same as the old frog.

Drathnoxis said:
I agree! Gonzo shouldn't be allowed to appear on TV with his "thing" hanging out like that!

It's about time this pervert is forced to stop molesting our children's eyes.
And chickens. It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and KFC.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Whatever One Million Moms hates will only grow in popularity. They're that kind of negative adverting that has the exact opposite effect of what the protesters would like.

Speaking of an adult Muppets series, you tell me you wouldn't watch this if it was real:

In other stupid news, PETA is trying to get a monkey copyrights on selfies.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Fanghawk said:
Of course, pop culture boycotts are nothing new for One Million Moms. The conservative Christian activist group <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116075-One-Million-Moms-Want-Same-Sex-Archie-Comic-Out-of-Toys-R-Us>rallied against Archie for addressing gay marriage, launched a campaign <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136381-GTA-V-Star-as-Adult-Swims-Black-Jesus-Draws-Protests>against Black Jesus, and didn't especially care <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117453-One-Million-Moms-Fights-Gay-Superheroes>for gay superheroes either. Ironically, One Million Mom's criticisms seem to actually attract a bigger audience to each work - that Archie issue ended up selling out, for example.
Very true. I didn't know the Muppets were back until I saw this.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Not watched The Muppets in a long while, but from what i remember their was always adult humour in it. Lots of double meanings to jokes that kids wouldnt get. But adults would. These people need to get over themselves, just because they dont like something they should just not watch it. Not force their offense onto others.
Growing up, one of my favourite films was Muppet Treasure Island. I hope they can bring the same level of comedy to the modern world.

GhostFox

Oct 29, 2014
I, for one, wish to thank One Million Moms for providing a useful service. A protest by them is pretty much equivalent to a 'Must See' recommendation from the critics. And they help bring more attention to things like the new Muppets show that might otherwise have escaped the attention of some people who'd be interested in seeing it (as noted in several previous comments).

But more seriously, it's past time for this bunch of narrow-minded haters to just shut up and go away already. This IS the same group that tried to organize a boycott of JCPenney simply because they put Ellen DeGeneres in their ads. Not over any objectionable CONTENT in the ads, mind, but simply because it WAS Ms. DeGeneres, who according to them should apparently not be seen or heard anywhere on television because she is (gasp!) a lesbian. This is the mindset of these people.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Vausch said:
Redd the Sock said:
RaikuFA said:
Redd the Sock said:
This is a group that claimed a skittles commercial promoted bestiality. Only pay attention to them for the cheap laughs at human stupidity.
Wait, what? When did they do this?

I know they were upset about a GEICO commercial but skittles?
A couple of years ago. It was too batshit to get much press, but Bill Maher did a rant on it, and I did check their webpage at the time to make sure he wasn't making it up. Basically it was (to them) a commercial where a girl kisses (peck on the cheek) a walrus, it must mean she's going to fuck it.
I remember that commercial. She didn't give it a peck, she was straight up making out with it. Like, disturbingly so. Seriously, it made me uncomfortable. Not in the bestiality sense, just the noises...guh.

On topic: Muppets was a lot of fun. I think I prefer the old style with actual sketches, though. This style feels like something they should do occasionally as an episode theme, less like what the entire basis of the show is. That said though, I got a pretty good laugh out of Fozzie when he was explaining his issues with his dating profile XD
I agree the sounds themselves are weird, but I couldn't help but laugh thinking of the face you wold make at that.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
God, I hate these kinds of people. I understand their concerns, but for crying out loud, stop trying to ruin things for everyone else! I should not have to say this!

Anyway, it's nice to see the Muppets on TV again, hopefully they'll bring back the original Muppet Show as well... (crosses fingers)

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
We all have a problem, it's not just these people. I don't really see how these people complaining about what they feel is tonally inconstant sexual content, is any different from complaining about the Quiet controversy from MGSV. What's the point about being so damn offended. Jim Hanson was always slipping a hint of raunchy content in the same why a lot of children's cartoons from the 80s and 90s. we could argue that one is advocating inclusivity while the other is advocating a specific point of view of family values, however the truth is both are rather conservative points of view.