One Million Moms Fights Gay Superheroes

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
"Oh no! We must stop this comic book hero skipping out of the closet nonsense, my kid might catch the gay!"

Vocally homophobic group is being vocally homophobic, what else is new?

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
Hey, Escapist, here's an idea: stop giving these people free publicity. Just ignore them and don't make another news article the next time they pull shit like this. No one cares what they think and no one wants to hear about them

kevindub

Sep 21, 2009
Let us ignore the bigots and get to the real problem, which character will it be?

Batman is too easy as the Golden Age comic received a lot of attention because of suggestive depictions with robin. (look it up for some funny pictures if you don't know what I'm referencing here)

I would say Wonder Woman. Despite the roles that gender takes in the comic this choice would be by far the most plausible. An island of all women, secluded from men. Human's are social by nature and require relationships so its not too far fetched that the Amazonians would too.

Mournful Crow

May 1, 2012
You know, it's funny how this group, One Million Moms, is so concerned about family values, yet the very thing they support, which is anti-gay in general, is what has actually caused families to split, or has forced kids to be kicked out of their homes, or to run away from their families. I understand how the "In your face" homosexual can be a pain in the ass (believe me, I'll probably have to date one), but whether or not a superhero is straight or gay really won't affect your kids at all. Now role play may get a little awkward every now and then, but the plain and simple truth is, they're still superheroes, and if you don't like it, then don't watch it/buy it/pay attention to it. You'll get a hell of alot of heat and bitching from your kids if you don't, though... And whiny kids are hell to deal with...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oi, one million moms, this is why so many people hate Christains. CUT THE SHIT!

..........Please be Wonder Woman.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I bet the gay one turns out to be Penisman.

Wait...there isn't a Penisman? Well there should be!

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Why single out The Flash? I mean all of them have thights that a little to form fitting and FABULOUS. It could be anyone!

OT: I wonder if some DC higher up will come with a witty reply to those wacky moms like the Archie comics CEO. That would be awesome.
My money's still on Aquaman.

OT: Can someone just go around and punch every single member of OMM in the face several times? Please?

rolfwesselius said:
*puts Christian conservatives on hit list when i take over the world*
Mhhhhmmmmm firing squads or crucifiction.?
Firing squad while being crucified!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
rolfwesselius said:
*puts Christian conservatives on hit list when i take over the world*
Mhhhhmmmmm firing squads or crucifiction.?

As a Christain i suggest something subtle, make too much noise and you turn them into matyrs. Poisioned food.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Now I really hope its Batman, that would make these bigots minds explode!

Gee I hope I don't get in trouble for using that world, I doubt they visit the site though.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Zhukov said:
When did "family" become a euphemism for "uptight conservative killjoys"?
You forget, 1 Million Mothers has about 40 thousand members... They arent really that threatening and I almost think they should be forced to change their name.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Zhukov said:
When did "family" become a euphemism for "uptight conservative killjoys"?
During election years :p

I don't think it's going to be someone who already has a well-established character like Batman, probably someone a bit less known.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
KILGAZOR said:
Hey, Escapist, here's an idea: stop giving these people free publicity. Just ignore them and don't make another news article the next time they pull shit like this. No one cares what they think and no one wants to hear about them
Heavens No. I don't think you understand how this kind of "debate" is won.

There is a reason why it usually takes one full generation for any real change to happen.

Most people by the time they are 30 are dead set in their ways. The Anti-Gay group and the "Pro"/"Don't Care" about Gay group are fixed in terms of their older audience. The younger audience is who they are fighting for. The more Insane one side or the other looks the more the undecideds move one way or another.

Every time some Juvenile Gay Guy, or Code Pink, goes up and makes an fool out of themselves by "glitter" bombing someone the more it hurts their cause. The more ridiculous the claim One Million Moms makes like that "the gay" is "indoctrination" the more the Anti-Gay group is actually hurt.

When you ignore them and let them shout the more things Like Proposition 8 get put in place.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Kpt._Rob said:
This is part of why I really hope that it'll be Superman who turns out to be gay. Sticking with the case I made here, I think we can rule out every big character but for Cyborg and Superman. While Cyborg is probably the safer bet, Superman turning out to be gay would be such a tremendous slap in the face to a demographic who seriously deserve a tremendous slap in the face. Not only could such a change really revitalize Superman (whose popularity has waned over the years, though apparently not quite as much as I believed when I wrote the first argument), but as a symbol of good will that particular metamorphosis of an incredibly iconic American character would be pretty much the biggest DC could possibly make.

But in all fairness, I'd support almost anything if it pissed off the One Million Moms, or any group with "Family" in the name.
Sadly, statements made make the character out to be someone that hasn't been in the new 52 reboot yet. The irony is that will cross off just about every household name on the list leaving us with chacters known to comic fans but not the general public, making OMM's statments a bigger waste than they already are.

Still be worth it as it would probably give Limbaugh the big final heart attack he's been due for.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Why do we let bigots breed again?

No, seriously...
They're rather adorable in their own way, wouldn't you think? It's like a little lapdog, frantically barking at the postman.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is a damn shame. I hate when organizations like this drive for such stupid, inane and socially destructive movements. I love how they preemptively also send letters to Marvel: just in case they were gonna what? Reboot their universe and make one of their biggest character gay? Haha, right. They already have plenty of characters that fit into that category, a bit late for the draw (http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Gay_Characters)

The part of this I love is that they are playing right into DC's hands. DC wants this controversy. They want stupid organizations like this one to advertise on their behalf. If DC doesn't respond then this group will undoubtedly be buying their main books to see what DC did in the end.

Keep up the good work.

Though, there is a part of my mind that is screaming at me yelling that this is what mothers that were part of MADD did with drunk driving laws. I just don't think this will even come close to that level though.

Willowleaf

Jun 27, 2011
But wait, if it's Flash, then how does Bart even come to exist? (Wait, they DID say they were giving him a new backstory...)