One year of Nintendo Switch

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
The Switch is a standard Nintendo system and you'll get your Nintendo games along with the occasional worthwhile 3rd-party game. Regardless of how well the Switch sells, it ain't going to get massive support because its tech is a generation behind (much like the original Wii that sold like hotcakes). Really the only way the Switch would get great support is if it takes over the portable market getting all the type of games that portable systems get. Outside of that happening, it will be a standard Nintendo system with the option of portability of course.

Chimpzy said:
If I would ask for something, it would be for more Wii U ports. That might sound strange, since there are some among you who don't particularly like a new system getting lots of ports of older games, but hear me out. I didn't get a Wii U. It never really met my requirement mentioned above, but it does have some games I'd like. The Switch already has or is getting some Wii U ports, but I wouldn't mind me some Mario 3D World, Mario Maker, Pikmin 3 and some others too.
There's really nothing wrong with any system getting more games regardless of ports or remaster or whatever. Having access to more games is always better. The problem arises when the proportions get skewed too far towards ports/remasters and when the system isn't getting enough genuine new games.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
For the future as a Switch owner I need a Nintendo Direct, a gamecube virtual console and the 3ds to fucking die this year. Honestly if the last one just happened I would be cool with that, Stop splitting development of games between hardware. This is why the 3DS had a soft launch but the Wii had a decent end with its first party titles. This also why the Wii U had a soft launch but the 3DS started doing gang busters, when their were more developers on board. Slash the price on a bunch of games making them Nintendo selects and put the 3DS to rest. Move all development teams to the Switch.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I got mine back in June in anticipation of Splatoon 2 and Odyssey. I've enjoyed it so far. I'm looking forward to Kirby in March, as well as Hyrule Warriors whenever it comes out.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I'll buy one eventually. But honestly, despite being surrounded by videogame everywhere I go (my apartment, my parent's house and my workplace) I don't spend a lot of hours playing them. So I have no rush to go out and buy one.

If Nintendo impresses me with Pokemon games, I'll go out and buy 2 (one for my sister). I took a long break from Pokemon to start missing it a little bit. Hopefully, there will be a plenty of games to play when the release date hits.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Wish list? I guess I'd want them to make a Kirby game that isn't some gimmicky bullshit, and has some proper passion and budget poured into it. The new Kirby for the Switch looks like it's just going to be a retread of the rather vanilla flavored Wii version.
you don't want a "gimmicky bullshit" Kirby but you don't want "vanilla" Kirby games?

I hate to break it to you but the main Kirby series is probably one of the most "Vanilla flavoured" Nintendo franchise's there is. and anything that isn't a "Vanilla" main Kirby game is general the type of "gimmicky bullshit", as you call it, that you don't want like Rainbow curse on the Wii U or Pinball etc.

I like Kirby games. but the main Kirby platform games are probably some of the easiest and stale, or "vanilla" Nintendo games I've ever played. Broaden your Horizons a bit and play other stuff like Metroid, Xenoblade, Pikmin or Fire Emblem if you don't want play a Nintendo franchise that feels as stale as Kirby does.
Hence why I said I want them to put some passion and money into this franchise. Kirby started out with as much freshness and creativity as Mario and Zelda. But whereas those franchises switched things up and received proper backing, Kirby was left behind in the kiddie pool.

I'd like for that to change, for a Kirby game to get as much attention and effort as, say, a Super Mario Galaxy.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
I'd like for that to change, for a Kirby game to get as much attention and effort as, say, a Super Mario Galaxy.
that's not really fair on the kirby devs though. you're essentially expecting them to create a whole new genre for kirby.

Kirby hasn't made the transition to be a 3D platformer like Mario has and Mario Galaxy didn't happen over night. Marios transition from 2D to 3D was a bloody long process to get it to the calibur of Mario Galaxy and Mario Odyssey.

for the meantime, Kirby has always been at its core, a cute 2D platforming series and there isn't actually much more they could do with the series without the franchise having a fucking MASSIVE overhaul.

sure it could at some point transition to be 3D platforming like Mario, but you'll be waiting a bloody long time for that to happen if you want Kirby to be a completely different genre to what it already is.

And as Metroid has shown us. a series changing Genre can be fantastic like with Metroid Prime, but it can also be a huge mistake for the franchise as well "cough" other m "cough"

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
It's...fine. I've seen worse systems, I've seen better. I'll say this: it's a better machine now than the PS4 and Xbox One were after their first year.

The current console line-up looks something like this:
PS4>Switch>Xbox One

Firstly, put some fucking QA checks in place on the eShop. This thing has real potential as a hub for indie developers, but not as long Nintendo has lower QA standards than Steam.

Secondly, a review system for games on the eShop. Because seriously, how am I supposed to know, at a glance, if game is good when there aren't any reviews?

Thirdly, where is the Virtual Console? Come on, there's actually a reason to buy VC games instead of just emulating them now and yet this is the system where Nintendo have decided to withhold the VC.

And finally, all future systems should, by law, be required to ship with a 32GB MicroSD and a screen protector.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Casual Shinji said:
that's not really fair on the kirby devs though. you're essentially expecting them to create a whole new genre for kirby.

Kirby hasn't made the transition to be a 3D platformer like Mario has and Mario Galaxy didn't happen over night. Marios transition from 2D to 3D was a bloody long process to get it to the calibur of Mario Galaxy and Mario Odyssey.

for the meantime, Kirby has always been at its core, a cute 2D platforming series and there isn't actually much more they could do with the series without the franchise having a fucking MASSIVE overhaul.

sure it could at some point transition to be 3D platforming like Mario, but you'll be waiting a bloody long time for that to happen if you want Kirby to be a completely different genre to what it already is.
I'm not throwing shade on the Kirby developers, but on the heads at Nintendo who are apparently fine with the franchise remaining stale. I'm sure the actual developement team would love to try out something new if only Nintendo would allow them.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
Casual Shinji said:

I'm not throwing shade on the Kirby developers, but on the heads at Nintendo who are apparently fine with the franchise remaining stale. I'm sure the actual developement team would love to try out something new if only Nintendo would allow them.
the Kirby team does try out new things for the Kirby series though to Keep it fresh like with Kirby and Rainbow Paintbrush on Wii U.

that new stuff they do try out with the series though just isn't the same type of "New" stuff that you want and in your eyes, you see it as "Gimmicky Bullshit"

Kirby doesn't need to a huge budget to try new things and Nintendo has tried new things with the franchise. that new stuff is just different to want you actually want from Nintendo and the main 2D Kirby Platform games You're seeing as Stale.

seems like it's more of a problem with your personal tastes with the direction of the franchise rather than the issue being with Nintendo and what they have actually been doing with the series.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
seems like it's more of a problem with your personal tastes with the direction of the franchise rather than the issue being with Nintendo and what they have actually been doing with the series.
Whatever you say, pal. It was my mistake trying to discuss anything Nintendo related with you.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i manage to get one in september. after i failed to get one in march for zelda, i decided to buy zelda on my wiiu instead, so i played with it from march to september, then i got my switch. So far i have : splatoon 2, just dance 2017, mario+rabbids, doom, mario odyssey, mario kart 8, bomberman RT, LA noire, Bayonneta 1&2, pac-man championship 2. (ok, it seems a lot, but a lot of these were gifts)

in my case, the switch was a liberation. i game since i was 4 years old, mind you that was in 1983. But in the last 4 years or so i play less and less. not because i'm not interessted anyhmore, but let's face it, i work 40 hours per week, i'm married, i have 2 kids age 3 and 5, i have a house that i have to take care of, i have a few friends that i want to see, i need to feed the whole family because my wife suck at cooking, i need time to do family activity, i need time for my others hobbies. So, yeah, the portion of my time left for gaming is thinner and thinner. add to that i dont really have the ownership over my tv. my kids have it. i have another set in the basement, and i haver a gaming computer in the basement, but using them isolate me from the rest of the family, and it would not be long before somebody would call me upstair for something anyway. so i had made the decision to not buy a ps4 or a xbox one (i had a 360 and a ps3).

With the WiiU, i discovered remote playing. i could play more using the gamepad as a screen. it was great, but not all games had it, and the fun games on the WiiU were limited anyway.

Now with the switch, i can play a lot more. i can play while my kids are watching a movie. i can play in short burst of 5-10 minutes when i have time, and carry on my game for small sessions to small sessions. i can bring it to my work and play in my lunch time.

i know it's not the most powerfull console out there, but for me it's a perfect fit, and the power seems not that bad actually. Doom for exemple was really nice on the switch.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Received a Switch for Christmas, and really enjoying it so far. Only played Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 so far, but both are brilliant games, and there's a large number upcoming that I'm very much interested in: Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4, Dark Souls Remaster, Yoshi, new Fire Emblem. I'll also be getting Hollow Knight & (probably) Skyrim (again) once I work through my current catalogue.

I have a PS4, but games like Dark Souls which I could get on either, I'll be getting on the Switch.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
Whatever you say, pal. It was my mistake trying to discuss anything Nintendo related with you.
LOL. have fun playing the waiting game for that massive 3D platformer, Mario Galaxy Budget, Kirby game then.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Bought one last week on a whim and will probably return it. The expense of games and the noticeably terrible screen resolution just give me a headache. I might take it to work so some people can play mario kart on rain delay or something. We'll see.

Jan 27, 2011
I've wanted one for months now, but seeing as I was living in a city far from home, and now I'm still looking for new work, it didn't seem like a prudent purchase.

The second I land work again, I'm picking one up. Between Xenoblade 2 and Project Octopath and Shin megami tensai 5, it's looking like the switch will be a hub for RPGs this gen.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Bayonetta 2 almost made me interested but I would honestly just prefer a PC port like with the original. I wouldn't consider getting a Switch until after an initial price drop. I just don't have nearly as much time to play games as it is and my PC has plenty for me to play already.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
JUMBO PALACE said:
Bayonetta 2 almost made me interested but I would honestly just prefer a PC port.
Nintendo paid for both Bayonetta 2 and is also paying for Bayonetta 3's development. they literally pretty much own the series rights 50/50 with Sega now.

because of this you will never EVER see Bayonetta 2 or 3 or any other future Bayonetta games on other platforms unless Nintendo decides to relax on exclusivity rights, but i think we all know how much Nintendo loves to keep things exclusive to their platforms.