Online Dating... Experiences/Successes/Failures/Anything...

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I have a number of friends who are now either married or engaged from online dating. As a regular forum poster I think online dating would make more sense than trying to pick someone up in a club, as those are two very different skill sets. Personally I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to do the bar scene anymore, dropping tons of money on the off chance you might get a number. Now that online dating is mainstream and not niche, I say good luck to you!

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
I've been with my fiancée now for four years.

We met on an online MMORPG.

It's part love story and part how to pvp.

Step 1: Meet girl
Step 2: Kill Syphilis (her pvp partner lol)
Step 3: Steal healer
Step 4: ...
Step 5: Marry her. (working on it)

Sometimes I think I take online competition to seriously.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I've never online dated as part of a dating website but I met my boyfriend through WoW so I guess that kind of counts?
MMO's seem to be pretty good places to meet people, anyway.

But, for dating sites, be aware that ladies on there are often recieving a lot of `ur cute lets boink` messages, so maybe try not to mention anything sex related in your first couple of messages.
And try not to take rejection personally.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Think of every single cliche and stereotype you can think of about dating, then times it by 100; that's online dating.

I've got plenty of stories, some unbelievable, some disturbing, some funny, some sad. Just like real life, but times 100.

Have to go though, need to go ask out a woman in real life. Be back later.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I tried it in my early 20's and had a horrible experience. None of the dates every went past the second one and things were just awkward. Honestly you're better off meeting people the old fashioned way, through friends, hobbies, sports, or work/school/church (if you're into that kind of thing).

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Bertylicious said:
Just tell them that you are a pilot. I reckon your entire profile could just be a picture of your face, which you'd only need so they can verify your age, and "I am a pilot".

I mean for heavens sake; you fly for a living. Everyone else in the world just makes spreadsheets and then sits in a tin box for 2 hours swearing at people.
Well... I am in the RAF... The problem is I know pilots, and seriously, I do NOT want to associate myself with their kind! :p
My jobs cooler anyway!!

lechat said:
i would say you all are too young
most women go for older men and i doubt many 18-24 year olds are choosing online dating when they could just as easily go to a club or a park and pick up a guy
I take it you are American? Parks over here are for underage kids and druggies... And I tried clubs... Massive problem with them is that I hate clubbing! It's not my scene... a local pub however is, but you never meet people there!

Online is proving useful at the moment for finding girls that arn't alcoholic, leopard print hustling, fake tanned, jegging wearing, make up applied with an apache gunship, whores that British clubs seem to be infested with!

In fact I got my first reply today! :D A great looking lass who likes to watch films and go out for meals and quiet drinks...!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
upgrayedd said:
Use pictures of guys who are hot. You might have more luck!
You saying i'm not hot? With that beautiful moustache!!?? How absurd! :p

Jerram Fahey said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Fellas! Thanks for your advice! It's awesome to hear from people who have done it with some success! Hopefully I can join you there! It's definitely a daunting thing at first, but now I have broken the ice with one girl hopefully this willget easier!

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I tried it for maybe a year, and once they saw a picture of me, they all quit talking to me... that was kinda a hit to the self esteem...

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Online is proving useful at the moment for finding girls that arn't alcoholic, leopard print hustling, fake tanned, jegging wearing, make up applied with an apache gunship, whores that British clubs seem to be infested with!

In fact I got my first reply today! :D A great looking lass who likes to watch films and go out for meals and quiet drinks...!
Congratulations! I hope it works out for you. One thought that occurs to me though- try to avoid using the word "whore", regardless of context.

EDIT: Meant to say that a pal of mine signed up to an online dating site and was contacted by a lady because she shared his interest in Doctor Who. They are now married with a wee boy. Another pal just recently signed up and has been on several dates with one girl with whom he seems quite taken. From those two data points I can say that online dating is awesome, at least in southern England and Northern Ireland.

Captcha says "tight lipped". Read into that what thou wilt.

-Nick

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
krazykidd said:
Remember online dating is where women reign . Women get TONS of email ranging from guys wanting only sex to guys who want serious relationships and all the weird stuff in between. So trick is to be original and honest . If you come off as boring or agressive you get nothing . Actually in my opinion it's worst and harder than finding someone outside . Women get 100s of emails so they might take a while to get to you.
I've done quite a bit of online dating. Pretty much this. You have to be original, eye-catching, and lucky. You have to make sure your message will get noticed by the girl in question, but not come off as creepy, and then you have to also just get lucky that she doesn't scroll past your message without even reading it.

You're marketing yourself. An online profile isn't the place for brutal honesty or being wishy-washy. You want to put the best things about yourself out there that will make someone want to read your message after literally only looking at your page for a second or two.

eHarmony is a lot more expensive than it used to be, but I still recommend that site. Why? Because unlike Match or some other sites, eHarmony controls your matches for you, so women aren't bombarded to the degree they are on other websites. That being said, my brother-in-law just met a nice girl on Match that he's been dating for a couple months now. He could only afford one month of eHarmony and it didn't get him much.

I married a girl I met online on Yahoo Personals way back in the early 2000's. It didn't work out, and now I'm married to a WONDERFUL woman I met in real life. But the fact it didn't work out with my ex isn't the website's fault :)

I can say that while I hate dating in general I really enjoyed online dating. I'm a pretty laid back sort of guy, and for me, even if the date didn't evolve to date #2, I had fun just going out and meeting people.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Most sites I went to either didn't care about common interest or couldn't FIND any female gamers.

The one site I've found that has any, has way for "lol I like xbox. im a codaholic!" than actual gamers.

Only about half of the very few people I've messaged gave any response. The ones that did were nice, but conversation didn't last.

The only person that has messaged ME first, was someone who's profile I'd already seen and been uninterested in.

Sadly the person I found with interests best fitting mine didn't even respond, and either has a personality that's very different to mine, or could be a man playing a joke. They're open to casual sex yet claim to be very shy, despite having multiple revealing profile pictures. The interests are detailed enough to convince me, but who the hell says they use their brother's WoW account and under the "privatest thing they're willing to admit" as a fear of talking into a phone or mic?

For me, dating sites are the best argument for ruining the friendhsips I have with females.

Edit: Well fuck, I already do everything Jerram Fahey said. Unfortunately it isn't a numbers game for me since there are so few women with similar interests that I end up with the same match suggestions every week.

Somebody even said I kept making them actually laugh out loud, and that didn't seem like enough. My message is always the last one before conversation stops. I'm fucking doomed.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I actually met my spouse on a gaming forum (not this one) back when I was a freshman in high school. By random dumb luck we just happened to live like fifteen minutes away from each other.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
I tried online dating once. It didn't go so well.

I don't think you can ever really know someone until you meet them in person, so I've not tried it since.

Sadly due to a dwindling dating pool and unusual orientation, I may have to test the waters again.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
I tried it for a month, just to see what was what. Was contacted by some weird people, some nice people and some really really plain people, but I didn't see much of a future in it. I'm pretty happy being single, so I'd rather just do my thing for now.

Tarlane

Charismatic Leader
May 5, 2009
Lyri said:
Step 1: Meet girl
Step 2: Kill Syphilis (her pvp partner lol)
Step 3: Steal healer
Step 4: ...
Step 5: Marry her. (working on it)
Killing syphilis is normally more of an important step for in person dating.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
one time i created an ok cupid account to harrass a friend with questions about how much dick she was being swamped in

then i got bored and answered a bunch of the personality test questions so i could look at my enemies list and judge what it said about my character

then i added pictures and set my profile to bi and wrote a giant biography establishing i was there solely to fuck with people and promised to respond to every message with a rap about obama
the response was overwhelming but nobody seemed to understand i was not kidding about the raps
i wrote so many raps about obama holy shit

anyway i got banned for some reason

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Bertylicious said:
Just tell them that you are a pilot. I reckon your entire profile could just be a picture of your face, which you'd only need so they can verify your age, and "I am a pilot".

I mean for heavens sake; you fly for a living. Everyone else in the world just makes spreadsheets and then sits in a tin box for 2 hours swearing at people.
Well... I am in the RAF... The problem is I know pilots, and seriously, I do NOT want to associate myself with their kind! :p
My jobs cooler anyway!!
Well that's interesting. I've long harboured a suspicion that pilots are all either rahs who bang on about "the rugger" or are so boring as to make one feel ill.

Still though; they do convey an image of dashing, homo-erotic, killers with dapper haircuts which is always going to be more sexually evocative than a quantity surveyor called Colin. Plus people think they're well paid and there's no aohrodisac like money.

Anyway you must tell us all about it, especially if it goes really badly.

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
I didn't do proper internet dating... I met three girls in chat rooms over the years. The third one i met 12 years ago and 11 years ago we got married (and still are).