Online Kombat

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
gigastar said:
Briantb said:
I thought there was a transexual character in street fighter?
Thats Poison youre thinking about there.

And as far as i can work out, his gender was never mentioned in Final Fight, but only in the japanese manuals and guidebooks.
true but I think she was made canonically transexual female along the line in street fighter games, though I don't keep up with that

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
My only concern when I heard about it was them bandying that aspect of him like it was a trophy, or worse him being 'Faaaaaabulous' or the like.

Watching the cutscene, and it merely being confirmed via the developer, I see nothing to be mad about. The character happens to be gay, it's important to the character's motivations and backstory, and it isn't trounced around like it's some big thing for the sake of publicity.

Gold stars from me.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
ITT: Gay/trans character in Japanese developed game? pfft not news, theyre all xenophobic degenerates anyway.

Gay/trans character from a western dev? PARAGONS OF DIVERSITY AND LOVE.

I suppose netherrealm need to be given props for writing a better gay character than anything Bioware has ever come up with.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Spot1990 said:
Lightknight said:
Is he stereotypically gay? How is he identified as such in the game?
They really don't draw much attention to it. This is the only reference to it in game.
If I didn't know he was gay, I would probably interpret that as just a classic "forbidden love" trope (like being in love with a girl from the enemy clan or something).

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
My contribution to this discussion:

I quite like egg salad, but I've been gaining weight lately, so I've had to cut back on it among other things.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
See Also: People that "don't care" about Anita Sarkeesian

Also See Also: People that "don't care" about GamerGate.

:p

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Lightknight said:
They really don't draw much attention to it. This is the only reference to it in game.
That's it?

Ok... then great. I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem or particularly care. For all someone playing the game knows, he's in love with the Dojo master's daughter or something. So people can remain oblivious if they wish.

It's also kind of nice that they decided to portray him like a regular person rather than really "gaying" him up. Means that he is X character with Y abilities rather than just "that gay one" had they tried to make it a defining quality like so many stories fall folly to.

I have to ask though, has someone actually announced that he is in-fact gay? Or are we assuming it? It's just subtle enough to not know without outside knowledge.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Lightknight said:
I have to ask though, has someone actually announced that he is in-fact gay? Or are we assuming it? It's just subtle enough to not know without outside knowledge.
It was confirmed by Netherrealm and then, mysteriously, the alleged "Outrage" erupted. Ofcourse these days people see a mean comment and automatically think "Oh people are really like this." Whereas afew months ago it would have been handwaved into the garbage with the rest of the trolls.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Having seen the cutscene on Youtube, it's pretty well-handled. You want to include a gay character? This is how you do it, with some fucking subtlety and grace. Me gusta. If I actually played fighting games I would be interested in the new Mortal Combat now because it looks like the writers know their shit (and idiot that I am, I play fighters for the plot).

---

I've seen more people smugly saying "HAH BET PEOPLE WILL LOSE THEIR SHIT" than people actually losing their shit. It's starting to get really obnoxious.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
"I just don't want to expose children to that sort of behavior."
That made my day. Thank you.

For my part, I actually don't give a fuck, not because I'm totally deaf to the gay rights movement, but because I really don't care about Mortal Kombat. It's a game where it's chief appeal has always been its over the top violence and, given the state of modern gaming, the novelty of that sort of wore off, oh, about ten years ago.

But writing a two thousand word post about something you don't give a fuck about? Totally know how that goes. Sometimes, you find yourself having a very complex opinion about things you didn't think you cared about. And sometimes you just rant for the fun of it.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
MinionJoe said:
People really have no right to complain about the inclusion of a homosexual character in a fighting game.

After all, playing a gay character is a choice.
To be fair. Noone is complaining. in this very thread noone is complaining about it. Theres alot of people claiming that theres people outraged over this but it seems like something one would have to go pretty far out of their way to find.

Suprised theres less focus on the Vastly improved female character designs. Sonya actually looks like special forces now rather than army costumed hooker.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Areloch said:
My only concern when I heard about it was them bandying that aspect of him like it was a trophy, or worse him being 'Faaaaaabulous' or the like.

Watching the cutscene, and it merely being confirmed via the developer, I see nothing to be mad about. The character happens to be gay, it's important to the character's motivations and backstory, and it isn't trounced around like it's some big thing for the sake of publicity.

Gold stars from me.
With the incredible campy nature of Mortal Kombat I don't really see how a faaaaaaaaabulous character would be out of place. Regardless I don't see what the big deal is. I don't think he was added just for brownie points, which is a lot of my past problems with seemingly token gay characters being added to games. Kind of sucks that people are just so hyper reactionary due to the current environment in gaming.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
The Material Sheep said:
Areloch said:

Gold stars from me.
With the incredible campy nature of Mortal Kombat I don't really see how a faaaaaaaaabulous character would be out of place. Regardless I don't see what the big deal is. I don't think he was added just for brownie points, which is a lot of my past problems with seemingly token gay characters being added to games. Kind of sucks that people are just so hyper reactionary due to the current environment in gaming.
Yeah, that's probably true, though MK feels like it's gravitated more towards 'supr srs' rather than camp of late. I haven't played X though, so maybe that's just the veneer of the marketing getting in the way. Of course, you could also imagine the internet firestorm that would happen from the hyper-reactionaries if they did go full faaaaaaaabulous too. This is probably the least painful way to get the character in right now for the devs.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
The [HEADING=1]GAYTALITY![/HEADING] where he tears off male characters' clothes off and sucks them like a vacuum cleaner might've been a bit much for some people though.

Seriously though, it's good to see Netherrealm handle the characterization well, both in-game and out.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Ah, so that was what Raiden and Jin were talking about.

Here I was thinking he was a pedophile; or a furry.

Adultratedhydra said:
MinionJoe said:
People really have no right to complain about the inclusion of a homosexual character in a fighting game.

After all, playing a gay character is a choice.
To be fair. Noone is complaining. in this very thread noone is complaining about it. Theres alot of people claiming that theres people outraged over this but it seems like something one would have to go pretty far out of their way to find.

Suprised theres less focus on the Vastly improved female character designs. Sonya actually looks like special forces now rather than army costumed hooker.
There is stripper cowboys, but it is totally okay right?

As for the gay thing. Well, it may be a novelty in games but the presentation is old news in media. It is pure propaganda that falls in two camps for gays:

1: Gays are evil things with rotten blood that sacrifice children for the satanic being xuxumagafababah that lives in the Dark Dimension,

A: Gays are the bestest, nicest and coolest people ever and all their problems are caused by you, you mean, meany society.

Both have been done to death already. They teach nothing and serve only to earn cookie points from a side.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
scotth266 said:
Having seen the cutscene on Youtube, it's pretty well-handled. You want to include a gay character? This is how you do it, with some fucking subtlety and grace. Me gusta. If I actually played fighting games I would be interested in the new Mortal Combat now because it looks like the writers know their shit (and idiot that I am, I play fighters for the plot).

---

I've seen more people smugly saying "HAH BET PEOPLE WILL LOSE THEIR SHIT" than people actually losing their shit. It's starting to get really obnoxious.
Except you fail to consider the social context. This is a country in which there are states and counties in which it is still legal to discriminate against gay people for being gay:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/17/us/michigan-business-bans-openly-gay-people/index.html

As such, the only way to eliminate the deep-seated bigotry within this nation is to challenge it, and while MKX does so in a very small way, each step towards equality and inclusion is a positive and important one.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Lightknight said:
He probably isn't. He's probably a well written character. What likely happened was that the writer disclosed to the internet that the well written character happens to be gay and that may have influenced their actions in the story in some way.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
delroland said:
As such, the only way to eliminate the deep-seated bigotry within this nation is to challenge it, and while MKX does so in a very small way, each step towards equality and inclusion is a positive and important one.
I already said that I like the gay character and the way they introduce him. I'm more annoyed by people preening about it, because (in case you didn't already notice) the sort of people that are going to play Mortal Combat are not the same sort of people as that one car dealer in Michigan. Mortal Combat is preaching to the choir, not making some drastic social statement. It's a chorus with a good message, but it gets a bit tiring repeatedly hearing shouted declarations of "AMEN, HALLELUJAH MY BROTHER."

Come to think of it the whole hubbub surrounding gay/minority characters largely reminds me of the more energetic churches out there - loud and fervent with tons of hymnals. I'm a more subtle sort of guy that prefers song-less ceremonies - constant noise just gives me a headache.

Also, if you're at the point where you can buy your own copies of Mortal Combat and haven't learned that gay people aren't Satan Incarnate, you're probably not going to realize it period. My two cents.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Yeah... im calling BS on the Unicorn thing...

Im able to play gay characters in any bioware game but i have yet to be able to play as a unicorn...

WE NEED MORE DIVERSITY!