Only 6% of Consumers Download Content on Consoles

Aglynugga

Jul 25, 2010
Here's reason number one. On a console you can't really download free movies and music. If you could download free stuff to your console...well...maybe the numbers would be different.

IbanezLaney

Apr 4, 2010
These company's spent millions on Market research just to ignore what we the consumer consistently tell them is the problem with their online stores.

It's the prices - they are far too expensive for downloads.

Hopefully the day comes that Sony and Microsoft realize that selling 10000 games for $5 is more profitable than selling 5 at $50. Their greed is cutting their own profits atm. It's karma in a way.

I just thank the invisible planet making sky fairy that Valve worked this out many years ago.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
I hope this will send them a message that they should make bigger games again and not cut a lot of content out for later dlcs.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Actual said:
Sorry, when they say "content" what exactly are they talking about?
Paid DLC or DD games. I'm guessing WoW patches/expanions take up a good 5% of those 15 and Steam a lot of the remaining 10.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I'm a happy (albeit poor) part of those 6%! I download a crapton of stuff.
Reminds me I will soon need a bigger HDD for my Xbox 360. Argh.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Misleading statistics.
You always need to be careful around them as they can be very easily skewed in your favour depending on what group of people you ask and what the actual question is.
The numbers will be right.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Lightslei said:
Or you know, it might just be because people would like something tangible that they know you can't take away from them at any given time....
You go realise digitally distributed content is tangible. It takes up some sort of space, you can look at it and use it.

Not that physical, boxed copies don?t give a lot of people a sense of security.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
I've spent over 300? at PSN so I guess im on the 6% (Not american tho so not in target population)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Kyte said:
Maybe if they made the prices more reasonable I wouldn't scoff at every piece of DLC I see out there.
Indeed.
So far the really stand out pieces of DLC I've bought were for Fallout 3 (all but 2 of them) and Borderlands (haven't tried the latest). Those were easily worth $10. However things like the gta episodes (and I?m a huge gta fan from last gen) I waited until I got the disc with both packs for $20. Even then I was left thinking ?where are the new areas I got with the F3 & Borderlands packs??
I too hope people don?t start utilizing downloads until we?re offered better items at more competitive costs.
And with things like movie rentals, I think they overestimate how much the ?convenience? is worth.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah, when I think about people I know, a lot have never downloaded anything. Especially when it's such a broad scope of "consumers" I'd say if you go to Console owners more specifically, you get a (much) higher range. I mean it just says "content" that includes demos, freebies, songs, movies...of people who own consoles and have an internet connection (well a speedy enough connection to make it worthwhile) I'd say you'd be talking 100%...do updates count as content? In that case anyone who owns a PC has probably downloaded some content. I mean there is no mention of "paid content".