Onyx's Surprising Top 7 Games of 2010

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
meganmeave said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Naw.

Firefly doesn't have enough under it's belt thanks to cancellation to get the depth that Buffy and Angel have. If it had gone on longer, it might have overcome.

And Angel is a lot like Buffy, minus all the boring relationship crap. It's still there, just much less of it! THANK GOD FOR THAT!

And it has Wesley. Fucking love Wesley.
Oh man, I hated the relationship stuff in Angel. Angel/Cordelia - icky poo. And the whole love triangle thing with Wesley, Gunn and Fred. Sooo annoying. If Angel didn't have that crap, you are right, it would have been better than Buffy, since Wolfram and Hart was one of the best things to happen to the Buffyverse.

And to top off the disgusting, Connor and Cordelia? Ugh.
I was more talking about Buffy. The only interesting relationship was Xander and Anya. Angel had relationships, but not nearly as many.

Willow and Tara was stupid, and I was glad when that arc was wrapped up. Willow and Oz was alright, because I liked Oz's character. Willow and Kennedy was just...pathetic last-ditch plot closure. And Faith & Wood...Oh boy...Build a whole relationship in 2 episodes. That's not how you do it...

All of Buffy's relationships were annoying, especially Riley. Spike's was interesting, because until the middle Season 7 where he's tortured in a cave and manages to hang on because he knows that Buffy believes in him, you never knew if he was going to return to being a villain.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Sassafrass said:
But I will say that Fable III has some of the best voice acting of any game. Simon Pegg, John Cleese, Stephen Fry, Bernard Hill and Sir Ben Kingsley? I do believe I just had a trouser accident.
Lionhead had my money at John Cleese. It could have ended up total, utter fried shit.

But they had my money before the reviews even flowed in.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Sassafrass said:
I'm never been that interested in the ME games although Lost in the Void is doing his best to convince me otherwise...
And I shall be assisting him then.

Do it. Really, Mass Effect is something I never thought I would get into, was reassured by a fairly stiff first half of the first game, but then it gets mind-blowing. Really.

If it's not the best sci-fi saga of 2010, I... well, I don't watch that many, I wouldn't know.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I was more talking about Buffy. The only interesting relationship was Xander and Anya. Angel had relationships, but not nearly as many.

Willow and Tara was stupid, and I was glad when that arc was wrapped up. Willow and Oz was alright, because I liked Oz's character. Willow and Kennedy was just...pathetic last-ditch plot closure. And Faith & Wood...Oh boy...Build a whole relationship in 2 episodes. That's not how you do it...

All of Buffy's relationships were annoying, especially Riley. Spike's was interesting, because until the middle Season 7 where he's tortured in a cave and manages to hang on because he knows that Buffy believes in him, you never knew if he was going to return to being a villain.
In the interest of continuing to derail this topic....

Well, you pretty much like all the same relationships I did. Except, I thought Cordelia/Xander had a real Taming of the Shrew thing going for it. I loved it, comedy gold.

I think my issue with Angel vs Buffy has more to do with the overall feeling of the shows. For me, Buffy had more humor, more comedy, and Angel was darker. Not that I have a problem with dark, but I think Whedon has done better dark comedy than Angel. If you've ever read Fray, the graphic novel he wrote set in the Buffyverse set long after the world starts to end, it is an example of that dark humor of his that I prefer.

Angel got too wrapped up in plot twists, like the Cordelia/Connor thing, and then Fred becoming a demon. It just felt like shock value plot to me.

Regardless of all that though, I do enjoy all 3 series.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I always hear so much good about the gameplay of Bayonetta, but I couldn't bear the music in the demo. I quit after less than a minute. I might try it again some day, and just turn down the music completely at least until I like the gameplay enough to suffer through that one annoyance. But I have a feeling it's just a good game that I'm not going to be able to like.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
DustyDrB said:
I always hear so much good about the gameplay of Bayonetta, but I couldn't bear the music in the demo. I quit after less than a minute. I might try it again some day, and just turn down the music completely at least until I like the gameplay enough to suffer through that one annoyance. But I have a feeling it's just a good game that I'm not going to be able to like.
You know the 360 has a custom soundtrack, right?

RIGHT?

You can play whatever music you want, on whatever game you want!

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
meganmeave said:
As to surprises, most of those games have been in your PSN status, so not too much, but... I don't remember seeing Vanquish talk, since I was deep into New Vegas when you were playing that.
PEOPLE READ THAT THING?! I edit it for my own amusement.

And their was Vanquish talk.

Basically this:

"Vanquish. GET IT!"
I read it. :)
I got Vanquish for 360 yesterday, and I've only done the 1st act, but I'm loving it. I hear it gets better aswell.
Oh, and the ass creed bro trophies are really buggy. I have reports from 5 people saying trophies haven't unlocked. My achievements are fine though, I just wish there weren't multiplayer ones so I could 100% it like ass creed 2.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
PurpleLeafRave said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
meganmeave said:
As to surprises, most of those games have been in your PSN status, so not too much, but... I don't remember seeing Vanquish talk, since I was deep into New Vegas when you were playing that.
PEOPLE READ THAT THING?! I edit it for my own amusement.

And their was Vanquish talk.

Basically this:

"Vanquish. GET IT!"
I read it. :)
I got Vanquish for 360 yesterday, and I've only done the 1st act, but I'm loving it. I hear it gets better aswell.
Oh, and the ass creed bro trophies are really buggy. I have reports from 5 people saying trophies haven't unlocked. My achievements are fine though, I just wish there weren't multiplayer ones so I could 100% it like ass creed 2.
And some of those MP trophies are hard, too. I hope THEY aren't glitched. You can't duplicated those feats easily.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
Multiplayer achievements/trophies are the spawn of satan. The only game I play online is Black Ops dammit! And I only got into that in the last week.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Onyx Oblivion said:
Lionhead had my money at John Cleese. It could have ended up total, utter fried shit.

But they had my money before the reviews even flowed in.
Yeah, when I heard Cleese's voice, I was pretty much "...This game is gonna rule!" then when I found out Simon Pegg was playing Ben Finn after heading to the Fable Wiki, I was even happier. But it's still not enough to make me love the game, sadly.
JourneyThroughHell said:
And I shall be assisting him then.

Do it. Really, Mass Effect is something I never thought I would get into, was reassured by a fairly stiff first half of the first game, but then it gets mind-blowing. Really.

If it's not the best sci-fi saga of 2010, I... well, I don't watch that many, I wouldn't know.
I'm not sure but I think he might have taken matters into his own hands. XD
He got me something for Christmas but due to some issues, he's had to send the gift to someone else for them to send to me at some point and he told me not to buy any games from the company we were talking about for about a month before hand, which was Bioware. So...who knows? If not, I could probably find both games for about £25 together.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
PurpleLeafRave said:
Multiplayer achievements/trophies are the spawn of satan. The only game I play online is Black Ops dammit! And I only got into that in the last week.
I get some shit for using the Ak-74u...

I can't help that my favorite gun happens to be one of the best.

I used it in every game it's ever been in. From Rainbow Six Vegas 2 to CoD 4.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
DustyDrB said:
You know the 360 has a custom soundtrack, right?

RIGHT?

You can play whatever music you want, on whatever game you want!
Yeah, I'm pretty awful with figuring that stuff out. I'm a technological idiot. All my music is on an external hard-drive so I guess it wouldn't be so difficult.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
PurpleLeafRave said:

I use the M16. I love the feel of it, because of the 3 shot bursts, and I'm rubbish with spraying.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Where's deadly premonition? Where is the most unpredictable, wierd, and generally unique game I've played in a long time?

Zach, I knew this would happen at some point. My coffee warned me about it...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
No surprises in those choices, the only reasons I haven't played Bayonetta is because I suck at combo games (like badly, I execute them flawless during practice but during battle...) and it raped one of my favourite songs (There is only ONE version of Fly Me To The Moon, ONE!!!!). The only reason I haven't played Vanquish is...I don't know actually, as I'm a huge fan of extravagant action-packed 'splosion fests.

But I hadn't heard that one Blasto commercial yet, good gods that Dirty Harry reference cracked me up. Though not as good as Hamlet with the all-Elcor cast.

Loving New Vegas though. *pouts* So much to explore... Also Rhonda and Tabetha. Best. radio show. EVAH!

RobJameson

Mar 18, 2008
Black Ops - Suck
Metro 2033 - Consolised, very basic S.T.A.L.K.E.R with all complexity and challenge removed
Alan Wake - Meh
Halo Reach - CoD bandwagon much?
Just Cause 2 - Mindless fun, no depth

Scores

CoD BlOps - 6/10
Metro 2033 - 6/10
Alan Wake - 7/10
Halo Reach 6/10
Just Cause 2 7.5/10

Have not had a chance to play any of the others however Mass Effect was a very immerserve and pretty good game, definately an 8 or 9

I totted up the average score given out to Xbox 360 games by IGN and it came to about 7.7./7.8, gaming journalism is a business rather than anything slightly respectable. They give high scores for advertisements and money, especially the large 'entertainment' based ones.

Far too often I see 10/10's , I mean in 2010 we must have had like 10 top scores / 9.5/10's , so what? We had 10 games that were PERFECT in every way. Duh its just stupid.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Doclector said:
Where's deadly premonition? Where is the most unpredictable, wierd, and generally unique game I've played in a long time?

Zach, I knew this would happen at some point. My coffee warned me about it...
!!!

I never beat it. Got pissed hunting for all the collectibles on Hard mode.

WHY?

WHY DID I CHOOSE HARD?!

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
RobJameson said:
I totted up the average score given out to Xbox 360 games by IGN and it came to about 7.7./7.8, gaming journalism is a business rather than anything slightly respectable. They give high scores for advertisements and money, especially the large 'entertainment' based ones.

Far too often I see 10/10's , I mean in 2010 we must have had like 10 top scores / 9.5/10's , so what? We had 10 games that were PERFECT in every way. Duh its just stupid.
I was wondering when the first buzzkill would come along.

What the fuck does that have to do with my personal choice in games?

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
PurpleLeafRave said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
PurpleLeafRave said:

I use the M16. I love the feel of it, because of the 3 shot bursts, and I'm rubbish with spraying.
Let's combine our skills!

I'm great with full-auto, horrid with 3 round burst and semi-autos!