Operation Crowbar!

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Vigormortis said:
As much as I'm generally for a fan base showing their love for a franchise through collective efforts of some kind, especially jokey petitions to the devs, I have to say I find this one a bit heavy-handed. It just comes off as an act of obnoxious cruelty by a bunch of self-entitled bullies.

Pandaman1911 said:
Um, hello? ValvE hasn't been silent about Half Life. In fact, they just kind of publicly said "No, no Half Life 3. Team Fortress 2 content and CS:GO. So shut up about it."

So yeah. Shush. Consider HL3 DOA.
Um...no, that's not at all what they said. They said there's no Half-Life 3 ARG in the works. There's quite a difference between saying "No HL3" and "No current HL3 ARG". My guess is you saw that recent article here on the escapist and only read the title. Sensationalist news coverage at it's finest.

CS:GO isn't the only thing they have slated for release this year either. DOTA 2 hits before long and they've already said they're going to be making a big appearance at E3. Whether their "we'll be showing off something with a 3 in it" is true remains to be seen.
Huh. How about that. I already read the article, but I guess I just grossly misinterpreted it. Now I don't know what to think!

Also, that is rather? sensationalist. And sleazy. Now that I think about it.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Eh, perhaps it will remind Gabe that there is a certain game he's supposed to get around to making.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Pandaman1911 said:
Huh. How about that. I already read the article, but I guess I just grossly misinterpreted it. Now I don't know what to think!

Also, that is rather? sensationalist. And sleazy. Now that I think about it.
I admit my post came off as a bit confrontational. Sorry about that.

But it is true. If you see the official statement Valve released in regards to the trend of HL3 info, they don't actually say anything about there being no HL3. They just say they're not revealing anything officially and that all the stuff circling the net is just the community trolling itself. (save the tee-shirt thing. that actually happened)

Papopapo456

Nov 19, 2008
You can send emails if you want, but remember being polite and having a good sense of humour.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
henritje said:
awesome idea but international postage is expensive.
Doesn't have to be. You'll only be sending it from Amazon (in the US) to Valve (in the US). It's not like you'll be first ordering it to go all the way to The Netherlands, and then mailing it all the way back yourself.

Sammaul

Nov 25, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Vicarious Reality said:
Tat's ilarious
And sligtly illegal
But wat isn't tese days

I i only adn't used all my money
You're terrible English hurts my head.

I think people should give up on HL3. Why? Because Gabe Newell ate it a long time ago and he isn't giving it back till the Portal and L4D games along with the goddamn TF2 hat store stop making money.
I think his keyboard is a bit screwed, notice the absence of H's.
And berating him for bad English while you start off with a grammatical error is funny in it's own way.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
Woodsey said:
MasochisticAvenger said:
Sorry, this just seems like bullying to me and, quite honestly, more than a little petty.
Bullying... how? Its banter.

OT: Actually a funny idea. Hopefully it'll distract people from whining about Episode 3 whilst they're tracking their crowbar delivery.
*sigh* It's harrassing someone simply because they aren't doing what you want. Anyone who participates in this is little more than a bully.

Duncan V

Jul 25, 2011
What Valve should do is paint them orange and sell them at double the price as "Official Half Life 2 Merchandise".

That would totally beat the point of this and make Valve a lot of money at the cost of a few cans of orange spray paint.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Just a heads up.

It is a scam, a good one too, but not how you normally think. There is nothing illegal with this one what so ever, but the person running it will make a good deal of money offering a 'service.' The link in question will take you to a store front from which you can purchase a real, 100%, crowbar and send it to Valve if you desire. However, the store front itself is receiving a commission for each person who makes a order of any item through that front.

This is the 'scam' of this protest, the person running it will sit back and make a commission off every crowbar you send through his protest. If he can get enough people behind it, by bombing escapist and Reddit (where they caught him fast), then he will make a small mint and all of it 100% legal. I envy him for this marketing campaign that is very beautifully run and I hope him luck with it.

So do what you will with this knowledge, you can take part in the campaign and might actually do something to push Valve into releasing HL3 sooner. Valve will probably already have gotten a few hundred crowbars sent, so doubtfully they know something is up and probably love the publicity as they always do. They have to know we are dying to scream at the top of our lungs 'shut up and take our money' with HL3.

I second the people who say they should turn this around and profit themselves. If they are smart they will include into the collector editions of HL3 when it comes out. Special editions are a 'dick measuring contest' and more stuff included the better. What better a use then putting real crowbars in the HL3 kits as the center piece? Maybe some sort of stand to hold it up that costs less then 5$ a piece and people would throw three or four times the base cost of the kit. Re-gift them and make a larger profit when it eventually comes out.

Oh, for "that thing we mistake as ironies" sake, we would be willing to buy back our own crowbars for sure.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MasochisticAvenger said:
Woodsey said:
MasochisticAvenger said:
Sorry, this just seems like bullying to me and, quite honestly, more than a little petty.

OT: Actually a funny idea. Hopefully it'll distract people from whining about Episode 3 whilst they're tracking their crowbar delivery.
*sigh* It's harrassing someone simply because they aren't doing what you want. Anyone who participates in this is little more than a bully.
Fucking hell, lighten up - it shows people are enthusiastic for the games.

Papopapo456

Nov 19, 2008
Jinx_Dragon said:
Just a heads up.

It is a scam, a good one too, but not how you normally think. There is nothing illegal with this one what so ever, but the person running it will make a good deal of money offering a 'service.' The link in question will take you to a store front from which you can purchase a real, 100%, crowbar and send it to Valve if you desire. However, the store front itself is receiving a commission for each person who makes a order of any item through that front.

This is the 'scam' of this protest, the person running it will sit back and make a commission off every crowbar you send through his protest. If he can get enough people behind it, by bombing escapist and Reddit (where they caught him fast), then he will make a small mint and all of it 100% legal. I envy him for this marketing campaign that is very beautifully run and I hope him luck with it.

So do what you will with this knowledge, you can take part in the campaign and might actually do something to push Valve into releasing HL3 sooner. Valve will probably already have gotten a few hundred crowbars sent, so doubtfully they know something is up and probably love the publicity as they always do. They have to know we are dying to scream at the top of our lungs 'shut up and take our money' with HL3.

I second the people who say they should turn this around and profit themselves. If they are smart they will include into the collector editions of HL3 when it comes out. Special editions are a 'dick measuring contest' and more stuff included the better. What better a use then putting real crowbars in the HL3 kits as the center piece? Maybe some sort of stand to hold it up that costs less then 5$ a piece and people would throw three or four times the base cost of the kit. Re-gift them and make a larger profit when it eventually comes out.

Oh, for "that thing we mistake as ironies" sake, we would be willing to buy back our own crowbars for sure.
I... didn't noticed the reference in the Amazon link, I swear you. I didn't start the thread neither on SPUF or on reddit (you can check by looking at my username, which is the same on SPUF). I shall remove the link then. I ask you my sincere apologies, but also yor trust in knowing that I didn't create this topic with some scamming purpose. I posted this "Operation" because I thought it was funny and wanted to share it. But you're right, the amazon link that I used from SPUF had a reference in it, so it shall be removed.

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
Wish I could help, but I don't have the money. Also, as I'm from across the great body of water that separates the states from their origins, it only contributes to the difficulty for me to find the money. If I could, I would send that nice, red (and well-used) crowbar we have, but... My dad wouldn't like that, as it's basically the best crowbar you can get your hands on. And it's RED. Notice some strange coincidence? It is in fact an expensive (albeit a bit old and worn by now), hand-made crowbar of exceptional quality. AND IT'S RED. I should take a picture of it and mail it to them. ;D

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
Woodsey said:
MasochisticAvenger said:
Woodsey said:
MasochisticAvenger said:

Fucking hell, lighten up - it shows people are enthusiastic for the games.
No, it shows people are entitled and only care about a game studio when they're giving them games they want.

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
Papopapo456 said:
You can send emails if you want, but remember being polite and having a good sense of humour.
Wait a minute now... You just gave yourself away, mister! That's fancy British spelling of the word "humour"! (Ironically, I spell it the British way as well)

You, my dear friend, have the completely wrong sense of what is and isn't "good" humour. Shame on you! Ok... I'll stop now. Brits are just as good at humour as yanks. Said from the neutral perspective of a Swede (who doesn't have a neutral perspective at all, but rather is quite in favour of the British language, humour and general existence).

Nah, but I'll do just that. An email of my awesome red crowbar. :D

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
If I weren't broke and lazy, I would go to one of the hardware stores I live near and buy this really big crowbar I remember seeing there. Actually, if I had the money, I would buy one of each size of crowbar they have and paint them the appropriate colors before sending them.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
Personally, I'm just sending them an email with a jpg of a crowbar. And I just followed it up with an email about how much I love Valve, and how I'm going to wait patiently until they're good and ready to release the next installment of Half-Life.