Opinions on: GAME and their site GAME.co.uk

Jet_02

Jul 10, 2010
every experience I've had with Game has been a negative one. Avoid like the plague.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
I usually shop at gamestation because they're cheaper, but i'm a big fan of GAME's gamefest.

Funnily enough, though, they're both owned by the same company.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I like GAME the one here has really friendly people, the nice man called me mate! and I dont care if he was just saying that because its his job! No one else has called me mate since!
[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][My friends are incompetant shits, I will destroy them![/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
Besides their pre order prices are normaly ok, and their delivery is pretty speedy.

I normaly use Amazon though, I love that site.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I tend to buy most of my games through steam.

Failing that, if it's a ps3 game I'm after, then I use amazon. Or play.

Really, Game is a last resort for me.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
The GAME shop where I live (York) is fine for service and ive never once had a bad experience. But ive never used their online service so i couldnt say.

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
Nyeh... Mostly don't like them.

The staff in the one near me are nice and interested in games but the good points stop there. They tend to be overpriced, they shamelessly try to make you buy popular things (for example, I was browsing for Thief earlier, I found it, out of stock though, and it said in the recommended games I may also like Battlefield, CoD and Football manager) and their trade-in prices make me hurt.

I'll use an example I have used before about trade-ins. I was trading in my 360 and wii, with games and accessories, and GAME for the lot would give me £180. I went to CEX and they gave me £380, that was one of the last times I went to game.

All things considered I think I'm giving up on them. I'll get Just Cause 2 for 30p to use up the last of my points and then I'll just use CEX/Steam/HMV.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Lawnmooer said:
I really hate Game.

I've often argued with my friends (Who really love Game) that Gamestation is much much better (And it is)

In Game the people who work there never know anything about games other than what they read off the back of the box (I bought a second copy of WoW there and the guy selling it was reading off the back "This game like needs the internet because it's not really focused around the single player." Geee... Really?) I also find that their prices are really quite high which is quite annoying the only reason I shopped at that place is because if I'm not in the town I live by it's the only video game store and I had a Game card to use.

Whereas in Gamestation the people working there actually know about and play games, and will go into really awesome discussions about different games whilst awesome music plays in the background. Fortunately they brought out a Gamestation card that I can now use to get awesome deals as well as their games being sold at retail price (Rather than tacking on extra to make more personal profit) and their pre-owned deals (I know Boo! Support the developers! I have no money I have to make do with what I can afford) are simply amazing.

In short Game is really really sucky I hate everything about it and really do like the fact that across the street from my local Game store is a Gamestation.
You do realise that GAME and Gamestation are owned by the same people right?
And they're just a marketing trick. GAME is designed to appeal to mainstream customer, while Gamestation exists to appeal to the hardcore gamer. So that the parent company doesn't lose sales from either group.

Basically, by saying "Gamestation is SOOOOO much better!!!" you're falling directly for their marketing tricks.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Opinions on GAME as a whole seem to be founded on a shop to shop basis. For instance my local GAME are expensive, but their staff are mostly knowledgeable about what they're selling. The one thing GAME has to its credit is that it's pretty honest about what it is. It's clean cut and corporate. Unlike GameStation, which insists with its pandering appeal to hardcore gamers with the condescending shop window advertisements of dolled up goth chicks. When on the inside their prices are near enough identical and their staff are just as hit and miss as it is at GAME.

Sure I've had bad experiences with them, like when they adamantly refused to sell me a game at a discount price. It was advertised at £34.99 new or £29.99 when bought with anything else in store, so I bought a gift card with £1 on it. The manager isnsisted I was abusing the system, but the fine print on the promotion didn't state the item I had to purchase had to be a specific value. At the same time GameStation refused to honour my pre-order on Super Smash Bros Brawl because my reciept had been torn in half.

As for their website, I've had no problems. The customer service was friendly and helpful when I needed to change my password under their old password recovery system. That and their games are cheaper online, Sonic Generations was £19.99 online and Super Mario World 3D was £29.99 and in store they were £25.99 and £37.99 respectively at the time.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
I wish there was a viable alternative for buying games, some high-street competition for them, I mean if we're going purely on release titles, they generally speaking do the best deal, on the high street. The only real competition they have is HMV, and given any new releases from them tend to start at £5-£10 above game, not really any second guessing where you're buying your game from... Obviously if you're going 2nd hand CeX is the way to go, I've came home with some great little bargains for £5-£10...

As far as personnel go, it blows my mind how I've got beat out by these half-wits on the part time staff, they know NOTHING and you can TELL the one guy/girl on the staff who knows something, or perhaps even further up the chain who passed a memo down to the shops, gave them all these 'teleprompter' responses designed to hook in old grannies and no nothing parents into spending an extra £20

Anecdote below.
Example, in buying Skyrim a couple of days after release, I go straight up the the counter, the cabinet behind them filled to the brim with copies of it, couple of posters etc. So I say "Skyrim for PC please" 30 pounds half pinched in my wallet and game card held in thumb.
"I don't think that's out yet on PC would you like an Xbox copy instead? the strategy guide is only 15 pounds if you buy it with the game"
"...Ac- it-...Are you sure? There's definitely copies of it in there *nods towards the cabinet* and Skyrim's DEFINITELY out for PC, they were all out 3 days ago, and as it's seen as primarily a PC release"
"I'll check with the manager *30 second later* he'll be here in minute, you played the new fifa or Cod?"
*mental facedesk into desk flip*

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
I don't like the Game near me either, the staff are useless. Only went there to buy my 3ds and ended up taking twice as long because the guy behind the counter was far to interested in tacking on crap I didn't want. I was spending £170, couldn't he just bugger off and let me go look at some 3d Zelda?

The gamestation near isn't too bad though, but I don't have high expectations of anything here in this back water crap hole I live in.

Necroid_Neko

Nov 24, 2011
I'm not too keen on them.
1) Their new-game prices are often more expensive than Amazon's.
2) I get constantly harassed by acned men in their middle twenties, asking if I need any help looking for a game, ignoring other customers to help direct me - a female customer - to the Sims. Seriously, I asked for Dragon Age and they suggested I get the Sims, I was pretty offended.
3) Their used games section is never tidy which aggravates my OCD to no end.
4) They won't hire me so I can sort out their damn used games section without looking like a complete nutjob. As a young, relatively attractive female gamer with quite a lot of knowledge of gaming I would have thought I'd be an excellent choice to work in a shop that caters to a primarily male audience, apparently not. Ho hum.
Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen a girl working in a game? I know I never have...

Sara Fontaine

Sep 20, 2010
Necroid_Neko said:
Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen a girl working in a game? I know I never have...
There's one working in the store by me, and personally she's not what I'd call knowledgeable about what she's supposed to be selling, but she's friendly enough. They won't give me a job either; I don't get it.

Musiclly enhanced

Sep 8, 2010
their site is awful as ive tried ordering so many games and theyve suddenly become out of stock and sometimes even not arrived on time. and i once bought portal 2 in store for £40 even though it was £30 on-line and they said they couldnt do anything about it :( and they never have anything in stock online or in-store

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I don't know why anyone would shop at Game. Everything is massively overpriced and the amount they give you for trade-ins is negligible compared to any other shop, especially CEX. Unfortunately CEX isn't anywhere near as good as it was a few years ago and now most stores have jack all in stock, half the shelves are just bare.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Phasmal said:
I can't say I've ever had a bad experience in GAME.
I haven't used their site to order anything (I don't think, though I think my boyfriend did and that was fine).
But I've always had good service in GAME, they usually have nice chatty people who like to talk about games (though they can be a teeny bit pushy about trying to get you to pre-order stuff!).
If I'm going to trade-in new games or buy new games I tend to go to GAME but I go to gamestation if I am looking for older games. Gamestation are always really friendly to me too, though my sister went in recently to return a broken game and said they were really patronising because she wasn't a gamer.
I haven't had any problems either. My only quibble is that their voucher card things don't have a code to use online.

Zaul2010 said:
I don't know why anyone would shop at Game. Everything is massively overpriced and the amount they give you for trade-ins is negligible compared to any other shop, especially CEX. Unfortunately CEX isn't anywhere near as good as it was a few years ago and now most stores have jack all in stock, half the shelves are just bare.
The CEX in Leeds maintains excellent quality and a huge influx of customers.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
My only problems are them not updating their in store preorder lists as fast as they update their website.

Minor complaint recently was trying to preorder Metal Gear Solid HD, to be told it was online only, so I ordered it from their website. I came in friday to buy FFXIII-2 and SCV, and it was on the shelf, so that was a bit annoying. When I got home it was on my doorstep so that was good, I was expecting them to dispatch it the day it came out, but they were nice instead. They have been known to wait til the day it comes out to dispatch for some people.

Necroid_Neko said:
I'm not too keen on them.
The one in my local GAME store seems to be the person everyone else relies on. She's one of the few people that remember pre-order bonuses without having to be told.

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
I've never had a bad experience with Game apart from the occasional person who doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. I've heard other people's complaints though, and their site is so so SHIT.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
The staff at my local GAME store are generally nice enough to talk to, and they have given me deals/given me free stuff just because I'm a regular customer. The store manager is a massive Oblivion fanboy, which I capitalised on and told him I found it boring. He then went on to tell me how amazing it is and how I did't get it, bringing other people into the discussion.

They usually do know what they are talking about, although when I went to pre-order The Darkness 2 they were adamant that it wasn't real, so I got my phone out, opened Safari and showed them the official site. I hadn't seen faces that red for a long time...