Oprah to India: You still eat with your hands? o0

Ravesy

Apr 16, 2012
Ed130 said:
crofty616 said:
Yes its easy to list things that he said and put them in sandwiches or on toast and say "There you go, i can eat it with my hands!" but thats not what he said.
While you consider beans on toast not a 'bean' finger food which I will accept (with confusion) however there are several curries that it is the primary ingredient and as I stated in my last TWO posts, I was trying to find NON-CURRY dishes. As in something other than Bean curry or boiled egg curry. (Both staples in my flat.)

As for boiled eggs, me and my friends would get them cold in our lunches and peel off the shells.
I'm not really sure what we are getting stuck on here :S.

Yes, I get that you were trying to find non curry dishes, that's just fine.

What I'm saying is that when the original poster, who listed foods that he thinks should be eaten with cutlery said beans and eggs I'm fairly certain they meant fried eggs as my picture and baked beans like you get in a Heinz tin with tomato sauce (again op please correct me if I'm wrong).

You then said no, you can eat boiled eggs with your hands (and that's just fine, I wouldn't have any problem eating boiled egg with my hands either) but that's not what he meant.

And that you eat beans on toast (again that's just fine, but not what he said). I know you have said that you eat beans as part of a curry, but are you telling me that you would eat baked beans with your hands?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/2/21/1298289384198/Baked-beans-007.jpg

?

To sum it up, yes i accept that there are types of egg, and types of beans you would eat with your hands. But surely not all? Don't want to sound like I'm being aggressive, genuinely want to know.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Erja_Perttu said:
I don't know much about Oprah, being a Briton as I am - but I've certainly never heard anything good about her. From what I know, she seems to run some sort of cult?
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Oprah R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

OT: I think she was acting a bit ignorant for insulting eating food with your hands. I don't care about the lesser crime of mouthing of at a culture, and blaming a single person for something that may be above them, and suddenly putting here foot down on a non-American dream. But she insulted eat food with your hands! AND THAT IS GOING TOO FAR!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
crofty616 said:
You're saying that you took the term 'beans' in the OP's list as the type that came out a can right?

I took as as beans period.

Any aggressiveness was probably my fault due to not eating anything in a while. (Kinda ironic how things went.)

As for eating canned beans with your hands it is doable. (Me and my brother tried it, I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it although, unless the know how to cleanly eat using your hands.) I decided to not include it my list due to it being weird and stemming from laziness.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
idarkphoenixi said:
Jasper Van Rensbergen said:
idarkphoenixi said:
I was about to point out the same thing. People don't eat with their fingers in India because they make lots of burgers and sandwiches over there and it's more convenient.

It's actually a hygiene thing, one hand for sanitary stuff and the other for eating food. In a place like India this actually makes a lot of sense. Knives and forks could easily either go unwashed or washed with dirty bacteria-filled water.

OT: I never really cared about Oprah before, not to say I diliked her, I just didn't care. But holy crap this really shows how ignorant she is about the rest of the world. Especially the whole "we're number one!" on education.
Or maybe, just maybe, it's a cultural thing?

Maybe they bloody eat with their bloody hands because they've bloody done so for the last 10.000 years? Jesus Christ man. There are parts in the world that aren't American.
Well...yes? Not sure where I said they needed to be American, in fact I was pointing out the ignorance of someone clearly living in her own little bubble, where her ways are the best and we all need to fall in line. Obviously it's a cultural thing that goes without saying but they don't just do it for no other purpose than that. They have a reason which is: It's more hygienic, especially in a place like India. Try eating with the wrong hand over there and people will almost puke from how disgusting you're being.

Also, 10,000 years? I think you're overshooting just a little bit buddy.
Oh that's right because 10,000 years ago people were levitating food into their mouths using their ancient wisdowm, right? I kinda miss what you're trying to say here. Are you suggesting that India didn't havea populace back then or that some thousands of years ago they were using cutlery but changed their minds? Saying that you're right about the hands, good post in general.

I've no idea what Oprahs roots in wealth are but she sure as hell has no idea what goes on in the real world now. This awful woman has caused some terrible damage to American society with the nonsense she spews and promotes on her "show". All that awful gibberish about "mommy instinct" and "vaccines causing harm" got a major spotlight thanks to this ignorant *****. She's actually put childrens lives at risk for the sake of satisfying her media attention whorishness.

Oprah needs to be taken off air and deported to India without a penny to her name. We'll see how long it takes for her to starve or change her mind about not using cutlery. I'll bet she won't be so quick to spit on peoples homes and lives after a couple of weeks sleeping in the dirt.

People in Britain tend to eat Indian stylee curry with hands, a fork only as back-up if it's saucy and they run out of naan or chappatti. What's the big-deal? Only ignorant toff's could possibly be surprised by it.

Question for Oprah and the oprah defence league, do you eat pizza or burgers with a knife and fork? How about crisps (potato chips)?

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:

Is it any surprise, especially after this stunt?

No research.
No common sense.
Nothing.

Really, she is the laughingstock of the world right now.

Doood, that is genius. I don't know who trolled her but nice work ^^ I wouldn't normally approve of trolling a sunject like that, it's distasteful and unnecessary, but the fact that she quoted it, entirely seriously.....

Franky Boyle would love this.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Nantucket said:
Why do so many Indians always want to study in England? Go to America - it's bigger and there is so much more stuff to do and see. England is a small island with a shit economy, a huge population and a cold weather.

I would much rather go to the states!
I don't know about England but in Scotland, if you study and work part time, you get paid for going to college (maybe not everywhere and not for every course but all my friends in colleges get paid).
Does America have that?

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
you see, i was taught:
do not judge. and if you do - dont say it.
works fairly well for me, maybe she should try it sometimes?
being shocked with eating with hands? really? in that case, "i have seen shit that would turn her white".

i admit, i dont know her well enough. i know however that people who go about "look at me, i donate to charity! look at me!" often compensate for something.

dunno if that is applicable in this case.

anyway, on topic - ffs, dont depress people who are in depression.... also, discouraging moving to another country to study? just because you are from a different one?

i refer to the part where i mentioned compensating for something.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nantucket said:
Why do so many Indians always want to study in England?
Why do so many Americans always want to study in England?

Because unless you can get into Harvard, Yale, MIT or one of the few American universities or colleges which are globally renowned, studying in England is a pretty good idea. It's a lot cheaper (even for international students), the general standard of education is higher and unless you're going to wind up in an ex-polytechnic somewhere it carries more weight and prestige internationally.

Until the current government, the UK had one of the best higher education systems in the world. Even with the Tories determined to fuck up one of the biggest growth areas in the economy with aggressive immigration controls and funding cuts, it's still better than most, which is why it still attracts such huge numbers of international students.

Mar 30, 2010
I can't help but think maybe Oprah's book club stickers need a redesign, maybe something like

Stay classy, Oprah.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
*clap... clap... clap...*

There are so many things wrong with what Oprah says and does but IN WHAT UNIVERSE IS AMERICA BETTER THAT BRITAIN!?! WTF OPRAH!?! I DIDN'T THINK YOU WERE A HATEFUL BIGOT WHO PROBABLY RAPES KITTENS AND EATS THEIR KITTEN FLESH..! With a knife and fork of course...

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Dumb *****, eating with your hands is fun. And who really has the time to wash up cutlery anyway?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Eating with your hands is the best. I don't even wash them first. It builds up your immune system (probably).

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
"out of touch rich person remains out of touch"

got it ( ._.)b

i suppose the next head line will be "scientists confirm water is wet"?

Stuart

Jul 24, 2012
"Telling the eldest daughter whose dream is to go study in england that she should go to america instead cos "its the best""

Wot oprah doan no -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw&feature=youtu.be

Also, dozen she mean the US?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Nantucket said:
Why do so many Indians always want to study in England? Go to America - it's bigger and there is so much more stuff to do and see. England is a small island with a shit economy, a huge population and a cold weather.

I would much rather go to the states!
Well perhaps its something to do with the fact we can tell the difference between a hindu, muslim and sikh and you don't get shot while watching a movie.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Erja_Perttu said:
I don't know much about Oprah, being a Briton as I am - but I've certainly never heard anything good about her. From what I know, she seems to run some sort of cult?
Second biggest outside of Scintology...