Origin Cheapens IP With Deep-Cutting Sales

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Wait a minute, I went to the website, and all the games that are supposedly on sale are being marked as full price. Was this a short as hell sale, or did EA suddenly change their minds?

brynnflynn

Dec 16, 2008
See, when I was trying to get DA:O working on my PC (needed to merge 2 Origin accounts, had to call support), they gave me a 30% off coupon to anything in the store. And I STILL didn't buy anything from them. You know why? Because Steam had everything cheaper, in one place, and wasn't going to bog down my computer.

I have Sims 3, and Sims Medieval, and it drives me nuts to have to go through their stupid origin launchers. I wish I'd gotten them through Steam just so I could have them all through one place, with an easy to use system and everything else.

In short, eff you Origin, I will never willingly spend money with you. I will happily pay more to purchase something through Steam rather than shop with anyone else. THAT's the kind of business you'll never see, because you're too stupid to know how to actually get my business. Treat me like a customer, not a future pirate, and I might shop with you.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
In other news, Escapist news writer writes spiteful story about EA and its dumb comments. Although serving little to no purpose beyond once again poking fun at EA, several forums goers post comments also expressing EA hate. We'll have the full story detailing people's continued hate at the top of the hour. Now time for weather with Dick Bubkis, Dick...

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
So are they that stupid, or do they think everyone else is that stupid?

Of course, if it's the second, it's also the first, so...

Twilight_guy said:
In other news, Escapist news writer writes spiteful story about EA and its dumb comments. Although serving little to no purpose beyond once again poking fun at EA, several forums goers post comments also expressing EA hate. We'll have the full story detailing people's continued hate at the top of the hour. Now time for weather with Dick Bubkis, Dick...
Is there something wrong with pointing out when a company is talking out of both sides of their mouth? Especially when one side is drooling?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
kajinking said:
Yeah nothing on orgin I honestly wanted besides maybe the first two mass effect games and why bother with getting them there when I can wait for the steam summer sale?
The normal Steam prices are also cheaper than the current Origin prices. I really wish I was even slightly interested in Mass Effect cause the Mass Effect 3 deal is actually quite good...

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
As much as I love to hate on EA and Origin (and I really do love to hate on them), I think this isn't a big deal. An executive made a poorly thought out comment based on a limited thought process and the truth about where the company was heading was different. Seriously, if I had every bone-headed thing I ever said held against me the rest of my life, I'd be fairly miserable these days. I can't see how we can hold a company accountable for every utterance from their employees. It's one thing to call the comment out as bone-headed but it's an entirely different thing to be a sore winner now.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Yopaz said:
kajinking said:
Yeah nothing on orgin I honestly wanted besides maybe the first two mass effect games and why bother with getting them there when I can wait for the steam summer sale?
The normal Steam prices are also cheaper than the current Origin prices. I really wish I was even slightly interested in Mass Effect cause the Mass Effect 3 deal is actually quite good...
Yeah I think I might finally get the game because of that. I wanted to wait till the fixed the ending before getting it but by the time I get through the first 2 it should hopefully be ready. I already played the first two on the xbox but now I'm on a PC and my current TV is actually much worse than my monitor so if I want to play through the 3rd with a good history I have to re-buy the first two which during the steam sale will very likely cost me less than a pizza.

Besides now that EA actually had to swallow their pride and issue a sale on it I don't honestly feel as bad for buying it.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
WTF the sale is gone already? All the stuff is back to regular price. ME 3 Deluxe is back up to $80

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Aeonknight said:
Oh hey, moar EA hate.

But for people who are too busy pointing out the Vice president's hypocrisy, read what the article actually says.

Lowered prices, akin to steam.

This was probably someone in sales going "look mr vice president, that may be your stance on steam sales but it makes them money hand over fist."
"enough said, I'll put my foot in my mouth. make it happen."

Even if Origin turns into a carbon copy of steam some day, is that really a bad thing?
So if i blame a guy for doing somethig supposedly bad, especially for other people and do

pretty much the same thing afterwards, other people have no right to raise their eyebrows at my

hypocricy? Fucking cool :D

On a brighter note, this did made me laugh. Oh EA never change...OH wait.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
kajinking said:
Yopaz said:
kajinking said:
Yeah I think I might finally get the game because of that. I wanted to wait till the fixed the ending before getting it but by the time I get through the first 2 it should hopefully be ready. I already played the first two on the xbox but now I'm on a PC and my current TV is actually much worse than my monitor so if I want to play through the 3rd with a good history I have to re-buy the first two which during the steam sale will very likely cost me less than a pizza.

Besides now that EA actually had to swallow their pride and issue a sale on it I don't honestly feel as bad for buying it.
Yeah, I got both Mass Effect games because of the summer sale. I haven't liked either though so I wont bother getting Mass Effect 3 even if the price is awesome.

deathyepl

May 9, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I don't care if they come out with a game that was photorealistic sensoround holodeck solid gold blowjob generator there is no game that is worth installing the crapulance that is Origin.
Oh, I dunno, that might get me to install Origin.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
So when EA does something it's bad but when they decide to make a 180 on the subject (essentially doing what people want) it's still bad?!?

Make up your damn minds people!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Not surprised...well maybe a little bit, EA sure are greedy bastards, I expected them to take high prices to the grave, but they're perfectly capable of contradicting themselves and their 'principles' to get at a few dollars.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Holy crap £5 for DA:O? I'm actually tempted to get Origin!

If only it wasn't so fucking shit.

Captcha: foul smelling - PAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Best captcha I have ever gotten.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Well, as for Mass Effect, they're probably trying to get the price in line with the value of the IP since ME3 (Yeah, I'm one of them.), so I suppose it's fine. Anyway, EA needs more money like I need more TNT shoved in my gullet. You want Origin to be used more, so you decide NOT to give good prices. Seems about right.
I hope they've learned a lesson, and this is a first step. Who knows, right?