Origin Sale Takes a Jab at Steam

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
oh i see, EA, i see. You gave me free game so i registered an online account and now you make sales so i would give you money. well played EA, well played.

That being said, the Mass Effect games look a really good deal here. i may actually.... buy something. Ok, Origin, you guys seems to have done a good job this year. i got more complaints about Steam than Origin.

Then again, i did had Origin tell me my internet was wrong and lost connection server while i was playing a MMO so i knew my internet was flawlessly working but EA servers failed. it told me that 13 times while downloading BF3, and downloaded at misserable speeds. i ended up not playing yesterday because it downloaded for 5 hours, may try it today perhaps.

Lilani said:
Origin making fun of Steam sounds like Pepsi making fun of Coke. It's cute and all...but everybody knows what everybody's preferred choice is.
i like Pepsi better. your point seems to be missing.

CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Premium contains each DLC pack plus another myriad of bonuses. If people buy each pack separately and then decide to buy premium so they don't miss out on it's bonuses, they're going to have to buy the whole thing again. Then again it might just be me being overly suspicious.
or, you know, some people may just play it without premium?

balberoy said:
Oh yeah, to all the folks that stand up for EA. DUNGEON KEEPER anyone. Do you have brains like flies. EA fucks as gamers since years, with bad games like the SIMS 3 (DLC etc. and the huge pricetag) or Sim City. Or fuck up beloved IP'sto squeeze idiots from their hard earned money.
Ech, one has to realize that Origin is not same people that EA is. they have quite the autonomy and they are rather cool folk (and you can actually talk to them on the webs, not even hard to find them). Origin has been making right decision after right decision and seems to not have same problems EA has.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
How deliciously dickish sounding. Reminds me of the old "Genesis does what Ninten-don't" adverts that played all the time when I was a kid. Brand hatred aside, I actually like where this is going, and I loathe Steam and Origin equally. Competition that fosters better services at a reduced fee with more benefits to the user? Why the hell not?!

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Argh, and BioWare DLC is still not discounted because it uses their shitty points system. WHY.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I kinda still wanna play Dead Space 3. but not enough to warrant installing Origin. Did they ever remove the part that scans your browser history?

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Elberik said:
Am I the only one miffed that Steam is moving in on GoG's territory by suddenly re-releasing older games without even retro-fitting them?
oh don't get me started XP its insane

OT: nice try EA, but this still doesn't make me want to use your system. Not worth the hassle, and not worth the money.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Its funny but sad because its true: so many people buy games because they're on sale and they 'might' play it one day but because of this onslaught of cheap content they're always moving onto the next thing, like a ravenous hound, never able to feel satisfied or enjoy playing what they already have. One of my friends has over 200 games and he's only played about 30 of them longer than 4 hours, when most of them are definitely longer experiences than that. Its almost like he's hoarding it all, buying it just for the sake of its cheap affordability rather than because he has any actual intention to play it longer than 20 mins. Its a mindset I suppose that is simply part of this mass consumption civilisation we all live in that I too am a part of even if I don't buy things I have little intention of using or playing in this case.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Heh, I chuckled at the name of it at least. Well played, EA.

I mean, I don't intend to buy anything because I've already played all the games I'd consider worth picking up from that sale, but well done on the naming front nonetheless.

Oh, and I'm a Pepsi guy, for the guy that says everyone loves Coke. Pretty much all forms of Coca-Cola (bar the old one that had vanilla in it) taste absolutely horrible. I'll take Irn Bru over both any day though.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, its good to see that they offer discounts as steam does. already on the last sales i got my self all 3 crysis titles (without the DLCs) for 200HKD (thats 25.80USD....27.80AUD). and crysis 3 was the hunters edition that included crysis 2 and other stuff plus the soundtrack.

@VanQ
yes, they did. a long time ago. now its just like steam.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Lilani said:
Origin making fun of Steam sounds like Pepsi making fun of Coke. It's cute and all...but everybody knows what everybody's preferred choice is.
Sorry, im a Pepsi man and after this i'm prepared to give Origin a chance...

EA cant be wrong all the time...even a broken clock is right twice a day.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
EA does realize that those nice little indie games are not the only ones that go up to 90% off right? Do they also realize that you need good games in order to have people play them?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It should say "70% off games that have been out for ages and people already have played."

Seriously though, at least they're trying. Between this and the free games they've been giving away it really shows they're trying to improve.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Lilani said:
Dr Pepper?

SourMilk said:
Drummodino said:
-DLC for Bioware Games cant be bought
Yes they can, but you have to buy them from Bioware directly. Again annoying, but not that big a deal.
Yes maybe you can....But they are not part of the sale but worse still, they never receive discounts. It gets even better, you have to buy the DLC with monopoly money. Dogecoin is more of a legitimate currency when compared with Bioware Points.
Last time I checked (which was a while ago) the DLC for Dragon Age and most of the DLC for Mass Effect 1 could be downloaded free from Bioware's site. You needed to sign up and register your CD keys and the links were buried in the forums

EDIT: Just had another look and they appear revamped their site, closed Bioware Social Network and their old forums and replaced them with the forum system EA uses. No idea where the links are now. I'm glad I downloaded the DLC while I could

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
SourMilk said:
Andrew_C said:
lol what? You mean Bring Down the Sky? That has always have been free from the very start or do you mean selected Day one DLC which is free with every legal copy?

I know their new website, still the same shit.
No, for a while at least, the Dragon Age Origins DLC was available (kinda) free when EA first closed the Bioware store down. I'll agree with you about the lameness of the Free ME1 DLC, but IMHO none of the ME1 or ME2 DLC was very good apart from Lair of the Shadow Broker.

EDIT found it! It was the Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 DLC. If you had valid serial keys they kot added to your old Bioware Social Network account. and for some reason they also gave me the Dragon age II DLC, even though I don't own that.

On http://social.bioware.com/ there is a link at the bottom "Registered Game Content" that takes you to your Registered Game Content page on the Old Bioware Social Network if you had an account there and registered stuff before they closed it. There should be links to all of the Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2 DLC

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
SourMilk said:
They were just the promotional items, you couldn't have brought them in the traditional sense anyway.
Sorry, edited my post and you posted while I was doing so, here's what I wrote in the edit:

Found it! It was the Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age origins and 2 DLC. If you had valid serial keys registered they got added to your old Bioware Social Network account. and for some reason they also gave me the Dragon age II DLC, even though I don't own that.

On http://social.bioware.com/ there is a link at the bottom "Registered Game Content" that takes you to your Registered Game Content page on the Old Bioware Social Network if you had an account there and registered stuff before they closed it. There should be links to all of the Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2 DLC

EDIT: But still, someone buying the base games on sale on Origin today won't get all that obviously.

EDIT 2: Just to be clear, I don't just have downloads the Promo DLC for Mass Effect 2, but all paid for DLC except the last, and I only bought lair of the Shadow Broker. I assumed that everyone got them, but maybe my account glitched? If it was a glitch it's a good glitch for once.