Original Guitar Hero Publisher Shut Down

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Jumplion said:
Logan Westbrook said:
as well as staff cuts at Neversoft following the completion of Guitar Hero 6 in April.
Whoa whoa whoa, the hell? Guitar Hero 6 already? I hardly even remember when Guitar Hero 5 came out, that was just, what, 3 or so months ago wasn't it?

Hope those guys find new jobs, sucks getting laid off anytime.
Guitar Hero 6? Old Hat, it's all about Guitar Hero 7 now.
Hell, by my predictions, we'll have a Guitar Hero Graham's number by the end of the decade, which will have a front cover larger than the universe.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
shame about this...not like activisions exactly pressed for money atm...

but still this is happening all over the place...just makes it harder for people like me to get into the games industry with 0 experience when thousands of proffesionals are out there looking for jobs too...and tough financial times means less room to experiment with new recruits

ah well, ill have to see hwo it goes :S

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
TheGreenManalishi said:
The first two GH games were the best, too.
Agreed, if you don't count the horrendous covers, especially that of Laid to Rest by Lamb of God...

This is a shame, but at least it means that the video game industry realizes that the Guitar Hero craze is finally over. I mean, I loved Guitar Hero when it first came out but now it's an old idea. It was a short fad, but it will be remembered.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Tis' a shame and best of luck to those laid off.

Man go figure the company that actually came up with the original idea is the one that gets screwed after all this. They made the best ones too. My favorites were 2 and 3 even though by 3 the idea was getting a bit stale it had my favorite selection of songs.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
This is a shame, but at least it means that the video game industry realizes that the Guitar Hero craze is finally over. I mean, I loved Guitar Hero when it first came out but now it's an old idea. It was a short fad, but it will be remembered.
I doubt it. Guitar Hero is for Activision a license to print money, provided there are enough idiots within the population who have convenient amnesia to buy everything that is put out.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Tis a shame. At the time they created something awesome. I hope they will move on to so somethign equally epic

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Terramax said:
This is a real shame. Perhaps this is a sign of why small companies SHOULDN'T accept acquisitions from bigger ones sometimes.
Or ever. I mean, is there really any "big company" in the world anymore that isn't guilty of something at least as bad as this? It's definitely a shorter list than the ones that are, at any rate.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Now Activision can make even more profit! Yay!

And I imagine when everyone realises that the [word] Hero games are the same and stop buying them, Activision will just change the Hero part as well. Who wouldn't want to buy Guitar Very-Good-Player?

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
In other news: Activision continues to be the utter wanker of the gaming industry.

Hope those who got fired get new jobs soon.

Green Tentacle

Apr 9, 2009
Whats next? Activision closing down Treyarch?

Activision, the once brilliant developers for Atari now making a cash crop on music games.

Wonderful.

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
what sucks in all these cases is that they lay off the people who KNOW what they're doing.
i mean, this whole thing got out of hand AFTER activision bought the game, the ones actually made by these guys were the good ones.

you know activision has no idea what they're doing if they need the original team of technicians to tell them wtf the controller is so they can make more or fix them

gnarwhalstudio

Feb 4, 2010
It's a shame. At same time, though, I've been disenchanted with Guitar Hero games in general as of late. After Rock Band came out, GH just feels hollow and disembodied. I know it's because the developers of the original GH and GHII were axed and moved on to make Rock Band, a series which frankly has much more polish and finesse than the Guitar Hero series ever had. GH-GHII-RB-RBII represents a progression of quality to me, Guitar Hero III was passable, but GH:WT was just a way to stay in the game with RB. Activision really screwed the pooch with Band Hero. The tracklist is terrible, it's all watered down pop music with "potentially offensive" lyrics censored. I hope the Red Octane guys are able to get back on their feet, maybe get back into making DDR peripherals again.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
This is sad news. Lets hope they can come up with another gem of a game soon, and hope they keep it in their own studio so the big wallets don't ruin them again :(

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Well that's what happens when Activision gets hold of your game: after sales suck because they ruin it, you get fired.

MaltesePigeon

Feb 3, 2010
Guitar Hero was once a delicious steak. Then it was ground up into hamburger. Then it was made into meatloaf. Activision, this is the equivalent of what you did to GH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSAa9FgTBSg

Former members of Red Octane, please get together in someone else's kitchen and cook me another steak.

Activision, look at that commercial and feel shame.