Original Guitar Hero Publisher Shut Down

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Noooo!!! RedOctane helped me beat the f'ing devil, and they shut them down!? Now how am I going to fight demons.
Suppose I could always type them, but Typing of The Dead and any others suck.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Irridium said:
This is why you don't crowd the market with 3 guitar hero games in 1 year.
Yeah, at least Harmonix/Rock band takes it slow

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Jenkins said:
yeah, my Uncles Studio was closed down this month too. they were responsible for trying to clean up the crapshoot that was Guitar Hero Van Halen. they were a studio that got the left overs and failures of other studios and fixed it as best they can but got no love from the top dogs. he was one of 6 people the kept but he doesnt want to move to New York(where they are requesting him) so he is going to move down to work for Bliz.
He's going to work for blizzard? That sounds awesome, I wish him luck on that.

As for the RedOctane guys, I hope they find good jobs soon.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Yep. Another day, another tale of Activision douchery. Can't say I'm surprised.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Guitar Hero 6? What the crap? That's seriously way too soon.
It's unfortunate for those who were let go. Maybe they can join Harmonix and then, just maybe, the RB titles will finally become quality games.
They did wonders with all of the GH titles up to now, but it looks like they're attempting suicide.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
first Pandemic(one of the best game makers in my opinion), and now RedOctane. why do they keep closing the good ones? whyyyyyyyyyyyy!?

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
Bleah... more cutbacks D: you bastards!! *shakes fist at Activision*

Seriously though, I don't see how any member - even the janitor - would have a hard time finding a new job with the kind of resume that those formerly working at RO would have, having had a part in developing one of the - if not THE - highest selling music game series' of all time. And the Rock Band controllers still kick way more ass than the later entries for Guitar Hero, especially (shudders) World Tour... I wish that game had never been made >.>

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Well, I suppose this is what happens to creativity in this business. It gets noticed, bought, ruined, and they you get cast aside because suddenly it's a "bad idea".

At least, that's what Activision would have us believe. . .

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Terramax said:
This is a real shame. Perhaps this is a sign of why small companies SHOULDN'T accept acquisitions from bigger ones sometimes.
Especially when the company owner or ceo and board of directors are the only ones to see the money from the acquisition. Everyone else down below gets the shaft.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
i was playing the fisrt GH a few days ago and was thinking they should just remake it. it has the best songs on it but it's hard to play cos of the teething problems thay had with hammer-ons.

OT: shame, redoctane were involved with the best games with the best tracks

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
nick n stuff said:
i was playing the fisrt GH a few days ago and was thinking they should just remake it. it has the best songs on it but it's hard to play cos of the teething problems thay had with hammer-ons.

Or to put it more bluntly, 60 Dollar DLC Package Hero.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
At least they'll be able to find a job in no-time.

--What were your previous occupations?
--Well, I was in the original team that designed the Guitar Hero franchise.

=D

Nov 28, 2007
nick n stuff said:

Guitar Hero Encore: Rock the 80's differs on that last point.