Oslo Murders Lead to Calls For Game Bans in Australia

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
He bought gear he used in the massacre off ebay. http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/31/norway.attacks.ebay/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Perhaps they should ban ebay as well then.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Wait, they're actually stating that games aren't to blame for the actions of a madman? I'm glad they acknowledge the truth, but the Australian government is the LAST entity I expected to admit something like that. That would be like Jack Thompson coming out and saying "GTA is fun!"

Well, whatever the case may be, their position in this is great news. What isn't great news is that some free speech-hating people out there want to exploit the murders as an opportunity to get rid of content they find objectionable.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Baresark said:
Hmmm, I liked Castlevania.... think I should go kill some kids... I mean VAMPIRES!

OT: They are just using this as an excuse for holding back something that only the Australian government wants.

"The bigger concern is his history of active hunting, with high powered weapons, rather than his playing computer games."
I would say that he was mentally unstable and that is the biggest concern. What he did with his free time is completely irrelevant. Just more excuses as to how it's not the guys fault for his own actions. "It must be GAMES!".... "it must be his love of HUNTING".... all these things are complete bollocks in the face of what happened. Everyone should be concerned with the fact he was indifferent enough to blow up Oslo, then kill a camp of children from the Labor Party. There is no way he is stable or sane.
The hunting may have been indicative of this, though.

Most serial killers don't just magically turn that way. Usually they 'start' on smaller animals, and move up until they reach humans. So having fun by blowing the heads off deer with a high powered rifle kind of shows that the person isn't in a great mental state.

Video games are just kind of 'whatever' because it's virtual. Hunting is actually killing things.
For some reason, I was not notified I had quoted messages. it was rather annoying, but here is my response:

Hunting, in and of itself, is not an a-moral activity like some people think it is. Mankind has spent the vast vast majority of their present incarnation hunting, and we are talking somewhere in the area of 120k years. And, the article pointed out hunting, not torture and killing of small fuzzy woodland creatures. Anyone who is stable would not jump from deer to people and feel the same about it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Baresark said:
Kopikatsu said:
Baresark said:
Hmmm, I liked Castlevania.... think I should go kill some kids... I mean VAMPIRES!

OT: They are just using this as an excuse for holding back something that only the Australian government wants.

"The bigger concern is his history of active hunting, with high powered weapons, rather than his playing computer games."
I would say that he was mentally unstable and that is the biggest concern. What he did with his free time is completely irrelevant. Just more excuses as to how it's not the guys fault for his own actions. "It must be GAMES!".... "it must be his love of HUNTING".... all these things are complete bollocks in the face of what happened. Everyone should be concerned with the fact he was indifferent enough to blow up Oslo, then kill a camp of children from the Labor Party. There is no way he is stable or sane.
The hunting may have been indicative of this, though.

Most serial killers don't just magically turn that way. Usually they 'start' on smaller animals, and move up until they reach humans. So having fun by blowing the heads off deer with a high powered rifle kind of shows that the person isn't in a great mental state.

Video games are just kind of 'whatever' because it's virtual. Hunting is actually killing things.
For some reason, I was not notified I had quoted messages. it was rather annoying, but here is my response:

Hunting, in and of itself, is not an a-moral activity like some people think it is. Mankind has spent the vast vast majority of their present incarnation hunting, and we are talking somewhere in the area of 120k years. And, the article pointed out hunting, not torture and killing of small fuzzy woodland creatures. Anyone who is stable would not jump from deer to people and feel the same about it.
That's why I mentioned the 'blowing off heads with a high power rifle' bit. I have no idea how this guy was hunting specifically, but it did mention that he did his hunting with high powered weapons. There is definitely a difference between 'Killing a deer with an arrow/low caliber rifle so that there is a large amount of salvageable meat left' and 'blowing holes in animals for fun.'

I can't imagine why he'd be using high powered gear if he didn't fall into the second category.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Baresark said:
Kopikatsu said:
Baresark said:
snip

That's why I mentioned the 'blowing off heads with a high power rifle' bit. I have no idea how this guy was hunting specifically, but it did mention that he did his hunting with high powered weapons. There is definitely a difference between 'Killing a deer with an arrow/low caliber rifle so that there is a large amount of salvageable meat left' and 'blowing holes in animals for fun.'

I can't imagine why he'd be using high powered gear if he didn't fall into the second category.
Actually, a great many people use high powered rifles for hunting, depending on what you are hunting. If you are hunting a large animal such as a Dall Ram, Elk, or Bear, you may use a high powered rifle to do this. It would be because you would have a better chance of a kill over a lower powered weapon. I'm just saying, lots of media sources blow stuff like that out of proportion, I'm not saying he didn't use it to kill neighborhood cats, but it is not proof of anything unless they are saying he killed kittens with it. Sometimes you'll see on the news about the police seizing guns and 5000 rounds of ammo from someone as if that is anything. But if you are an avid sport shooter, that won't last you a weekend. The morning of my brothers wedding we went to the shooting range and inside of 2 hours between 4 of us, we shot over a thousand rounds. I prefer a bow myself. But, these are just some examples of common tactics the media use to make someone appear negative, as if what he did was no enough. I distinctly remember Julian Assange, the sex offender, as if that had anything to do with why he was on the news.