Oslo Murders Lead to Calls For Game Bans in Australia

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
peopel get stabbed. lets ban knives. car accidents happen. lets ban self propelled vehicles. better yet, lets go back to living into caves.

or better yet: ban religion - world is safe.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
DaHero said:
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
I love the Internet. It's where I can find out that everything I hold dear (Christianity, Video Games, Politics, My Country) has a sizable force raised against it by either teenage pricks who think church is boring, and are therefore loud and obnoxious anti-theists (despite the fact that Christianity and Islam are the only two religions I've ever seen bitching about); or misguided extremist political figures giving the whole political system a bad name.
Agreed, it's hard enough being a gamer AND a christian without having the people who are supposed to be supporting your point of view trying to stone you for being one or the other.

Feels like Romeo and Juliet...I swear...I feel like Romeo and Juliet had a kid, that was me, and ended up walking into the feud...so since technically I'm both they should allow me to be neutral, but NO they both want to kill me!
I, for one, don't judge all Christians like I judge this loon. I'm aware there are some who aren't all fearmongering twats who love to use a horrendous tragedy like this for their own personal agenda. Unfortunately for you guys, this "person of interest" happens to be the loudest, well funded dingbat in the country :(

You're represented worse than we (gamers, no Christians) are in this arguement.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Absolutionis said:
A Christian Group is calling for the bannings of video games because a fundamentalist Christian commit an act of terror upon Muslims?

I don't understand.
This is a brilliant observation.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I will never get over the hilarity of religious groups calling for the ban of video games due to violence.

KezzieZ

Sep 20, 2010
Because guns in video games are so very realistic. /sarcasm

I can headshot like crazy in Halo Reach but can't aim worth spit with a real pistol in a shooting range. I could never bring myself to dehumanize anyone so I could hurt them either and I've played plenty of violent video games.

But, you know what? I'm not even surprised by this type of knee-jerk reaction anymore. The guy was a crackpot, plain and simple, so why people feel the need to blame anything other than the fact that this guy didn't get help (and no one stepped up and said anything either) is beyond me.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Oh Christians... is there anything you don't hate?

On an unrelated note, this new Capcha thing is fucking ridiculous. There's already ads on the side of the forums, do we really need ads in Capcha too?

Uriel_51

Dec 6, 2010
Blitzwing said:
Uriel_51 said:
I think this man's opinion perfectly illustrates the reason we in the USA feel it's so important to protect free speech, art, protest, etc. This guy claims that banning media even to prevent one such event in 20 years is worth it and I whole heartily disagree. Were games something he used? I don't think he was lying. Is WoW a great excuse? Sure is. But if it weren't those things it'd be Munic and Tom Clancy novels, or a knitting class.

Point is 'madmen' from our 'weak society' are going to commit murders and atrocities no matter what media the public should be allowed to consume. He's just another ass-backward religious nut wanting to control the world so strongly he's ready to take away the rights of his country to have an influence on it. I'm sorry Australia, hopefully someone knocks some sense into you guys' politicians and they get over this irrational focus on video game violence.
I think you?re confusing politician with powerless nut the ACL has no authority in Australia. And our politicians don?t have an obsession with video games frankly there are much bigger issues here.
Indeed you're right. I think the point I was trying to make is that this zealous nut-job in the media craze has kind of faded away for us. For a while there any particularly outlandish statement from the religious crazies was getting a huge nation-wide media focus, and for whatever reason the badwagon to jump on was video games and their horrable ability to cause rape and murder in the population.

That's quieted a little. I suppose I was just commenting on 2 separate issues, one being how statements like this are getting the limelight, and the second being how nutzos want to control everything under the guise of 'protecting' us feeble citizens.

And I agree, violence in games quite far down on the totem pole of shit we need to be worrying about. Especially in the wake of the events, the *actual* atrocity.

Kudos for calling me out, rants have a way of wandering off the original path don't they?

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The Australian Christian Lobby is calling for a ban on violent videogames.
If you really want to see violence decline in the world, getting rid of religion would benefit everyone.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Up Next On Australian Law. Child Accidentally dies by sleeping face first on pillow this leads to a new law trying to get video games banned due to the rising fear that children might smother us in our sleep.

e_e Really Aussie Government? Really?

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Can you even begin to imagine the mindset of a parent who would do this to their child ?

And gamers are the problem ??

Anders Brevick was indoctrinated into a system he does not even understand because you can not understand the incomprehensible. He is as much a victim of the christian delusion as his victims are of his bullets.

The whole thing is very sad and indicative of a world where religion is spiraling out of control.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Absolutionis said:
A Christian Group is calling for the bannings of video games because a fundamentalist Christian commit an act of terror upon Muslims?

I don't understand.
Well of course you don't. Your facts are wrong. This was an attack on the political party currently in charge (labour party). He was a racist, but his victims were mostly Norwegian and probably baptized as Christians. The reason they want to ban it is that he's stated in his 1500 page manifest that games were involved in his training. This is of course complete bullshit, but media latches on to that, and Christian politicians make that a crusade to ban all forms of video games. Then again you never know, we might all turn into killers for ever playing Viva Piñata or Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. These games are so violent and will turn us into killers sooner or later.

I do agree with you though. This is not a reason anyone should consider banning video games for. It was a tragedy that shook our nation. Don't take this as a reason to restrict the freedom to enjoy games.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Blitzwing said:
Genixma said:
Up Next On Australian Law. Child Accidentally dies by sleeping face first on pillow this leads to a new law trying to get video games banned due to the rising fear that children might smother us in our sleep.

e_e Really Aussie Government? Really?
Read the damn article. The government isn?t trying to bane videos games. The ACL holds no seats in parliament and no one takes them seriously.
Reading the article takes too long when you've got sometime edgy that just has to be said.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Dear God ACL - you hate fun - we get it. Just give it a damn rest.

And as for you, Mr Oslo Bomber - I curse you and your entire bloody family for blaming your murderous rampage on video games and stirring up this ludicrous shitstorm!

Angels230292

Nov 7, 2008
wow man, really? lol this is why chrisitans shouldnt be involved in politics they clearly dont have a very clear picture of Europe if they think this was inspired by games...

unclediddles

Jul 26, 2010
So wait.. His name is Anders. Published a manifesto. Commited a mass murder. All so that he could spark a revolution? Does is sound similar to Anders from DA2. Or is it just me?

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
You know, for the first time in a really, really long time, one of our politicians has said something valuable. Well done, Brendan O'Connor. Finally someone with half a gram of common sense in his head. THIS is why I like Nick Xenophon so much - he calls it like he sees it, instead of being bogged down with political schtick.

But on-topic, before video games because the favourite punching bag, it was movies and tv. Before that, books. Can't we all just accept that no matter what, there's always going to be someone with a warped brain out there with the misfiring neurocapacity to want to gun down a lot of innocent people? *sigh*