"Other OS" Lawsuits Combine Into Single Mega-Suit

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
While reading this I had to cartoons pop in my head.

The people want Sony to put back the other OS

Then the people called forth their lawyers

It is however very interesting that all seven lawsuits have been combined into one. That will either help us win or cause major issues. While I don't own a PS3 I would love to see more freedom for the user. More opions always makes me happy.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
psrdirector said:
I own a ps3, I dont give two shits about the feature what so ever. and torrent has no other use besides pirating
Oh, you sound SO knowledgeable. My friend's Dad uses torrent programs to receive files from other computers that are too large to be zipped and emailed, and they don't want to be burned and sent physically. You know, for WORK.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
psrdirector said:
I own a ps3, I dont give two shits about the feature what so ever. and torrent has no other use besides pirating
I use BitTorrent all the time for legal downloads. The guy who invented it is a genius.

You should care about this lawsuit, because it may settle the question of whether it is legal for a console manufacturer to remotely remove any functionality at any time without compensating anyone who is affected.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
lacktheknack said:
psrdirector said:
Oh, you sound SO knowledgeable. My friend's Dad uses torrent programs to receive files from other computers that are too large to be zipped and emailed, and they don't want to be burned and sent physically. You know, for WORK.
Don't forget Blizzard and Turbine, who use BT tech.

Major download services are also more frequently offering torrents for distribution, as are small companies who can't afford thousands or millions of centralised multi-gig transfers.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
oktalist said:
psrdirector said:
I use BitTorrent all the time for legal downloads. The guy who invented it is a genius.

You should care about this lawsuit, because it may settle the question of whether it is legal for a console manufacturer to remotely remove any functionality at any time without compensating anyone who is affected.
I've been ninja'd!

And yes, why is it that people focus on the "Other OS" facet? This case has nothing to do with "Other OS," short of it being the catalyst.

The case has everything to do with whether or not *anyone* can sell you a device claiming that it has a function, then remove that function later with no penalty. Not merely console manufacturers.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
RvLeshrac said:
oktalist said:
psrdirector said:

I've been ninja'd!

And yes, why is it that people focus on the "Other OS" facet? This case has nothing to do with "Other OS," short of it being the catalyst.

The case has everything to do with whether or not *anyone* can sell you a device claiming that it has a function, then remove that function later with no penalty. Not merely console manufacturers.
Hmm, that was a side of things I hadn't considered. I knew there was something about Other OS removal that bothered me, but I wasn't ever able to pin what that was, since the Other OS wasn't a feature I'd have ever used. But looking at it as a whole- features that can be removed at any time, well that is a little disturbing.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
psrdirector said:
The man who invented bit torrent is a criminal who should be arrested. And Escapist I HAVE NEVER ADVOCATED PIRACY IN ANY AMOUNT AND WILL ALWAYS VIEWS ANYONE WHO PIRATES VIDEO GAMES MORE ANTI GAMING THEN EVERY PERSON WHO WISHS TO BAD THE INDUSTRY!

and I still don?t care what so ever about this suit, the other os was a pointless feature
Congratulations! You've just made yourself look really stupid on the internet!

As others have pointed out, Bit Torrent is fascinating technology that subverts the traditional client/server model of file distribution by eliminating bottlenecks - if everyone in the world tried to download a file from a traditional download server at once, it would fail. With a torrent, that would just make it go faster, and the cost to the original content provider is a tiny fraction of what traditional file hosting costs, because most of the bandwidth in use is that of your customers. There's a very good reason that Blizzard uses torrents to distribute patches for WoW, as do open source developers and the like - basically, if you were going to give something away for free, there's no good reason not to distribute it via Bit Torrent (unless you hate money).

The potential for abuse is certainly there, and nobody is contesting that most torrent traffic is probably illegal file sharing, but to condemn the protocol itself and call its inventor a criminal who belongs in jail is just a flagrantly retarded thing to do. Seriously.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
psrdirector said:
The man who invented bit torrent is a criminal who should be arrested. And Escapist I HAVE NEVER ADVOCATED PIRACY IN ANY AMOUNT AND WILL ALWAYS VIEWS ANYONE WHO PIRATES VIDEO GAMES MORE ANTI GAMING THEN EVERY PERSON WHO WISHS TO BAD THE INDUSTRY!

and I still don?t care what so ever about this suit, the other os was a pointless feature
If you don't care about the lawsuit, then stop posting here. You've said your piece once, people presented multiple examples of how you were wrong in your statement. At this point you're doing nothing more than trolling.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Gildan Bladeborn said:
psrdirector said:

Congratulations! You've just made yourself look really stupid on the internet!

As others have pointed out, Bit Torrent is fascinating technology that subverts the traditional client/server model of file distribution by eliminating bottlenecks - if everyone in the world tried to download a file from a traditional download server at once, it would fail. With a torrent, that would just make it go faster, and the cost to the original content provider is a tiny fraction of what traditional file hosting costs, because most of the bandwidth in use is that of your customers. There's a very good reason that Blizzard uses torrents to distribute patches for WoW, as do open source developers and the like - basically, if you were going to give something away for free, there's no good reason not to distribute it via Bit Torrent (unless you hate money).

The potential for abuse is certainly there, and nobody is contesting that most torrent traffic is probably illegal file sharing, but to condemn the protocol itself and call its inventor a criminal who belongs in jail is just a flagrantly retarded thing to do. Seriously.
[HEADING=1]Oh snap![/HEADING]

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Bah, I get the feeling that even if Sony do lose A: we won't see a return of the Other OS, B: us normal owners won't see a penny and C: if normal users do see some compensation, people like me who own the Slim model won't since that could be argued as a separate case from the original with its OtherOS functionality.

Drat.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
psrdirector said:

Well done. You have demonstrated the ability to see things from only your point of view, while also successfully ignoring the fact that you are wrong, that your comments sound stupid as you clearly do not understand what you are talking about.

I ask that you look up everybody's reason for using bit torrent, attempt to stop posting blatant flame bait posts, while also acknowledging that you are wrong.

Trolling less might also help.

- Dogstile

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm not sure how I feel about this development. I support the company's right to protect it's product, but also that the company must fulfill promises made. I think there should be proper reason for the removal of such a feature. If this case wants to prove anything to me, it would establish either that the company must stick with the features promised at each iteration of the device, and bear their burden, or that there must be a protocol precedent set for the legal remote removal and/or discontinuation of applications and functions that can lead to harm for the product chain and/or company. I don't want to see the company in complete control of function removal, but I don't think that this should be dismissed out of hand in the users favor, either.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
psrdirector said:
This is my exact thoughts down to the letter.

It makes me feel sad that these same people wouldn't complain a hair if Microsoft suddenly started charging 10 bucks a month, or if Nintendo suddenly ditched the Wii for a newer Console.

Again, company bias holds sway in courtrooms. I hope Sony either wins or settles out of court. This is ridiculous.

Also, this is probably a great troll against the people who kept saying the Ps3 had "no games". Well, now they're making nothing but games but people still complain. Big surprise.

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
Was it a good idea to take out other OS? Beets the fuck out of me. Does the fact that they are getting SUED for it make me want to blow up the earth? you betcha.