"Other OS" Lawsuits Combine Into Single Mega-Suit

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Good. I hope that Sony gets into a LOT of trouble over this. Bring back OtherOS ya morons! LOL!!!

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I have only one thing to say to this: Hahahahahahahaha!!! In your face Sony. I used to love them but now I realize, as a company, they really piss me off.

nofear220

Apr 29, 2010
laryri said:
Removing the Other OS option to prevent privacy is like banning torrent services to prevent piracy. Sure it may be a common application of the feature but it has other uses too.
All I can say is, Sony is fucked on this one...I wish I was American so I could join in on the suit and get a couple unjust millions myself, seeing as that is common practice in the good ol' US of A...

culade

Quiet Knoll
Dec 17, 2007
Pendragon9 said:
It makes me feel sad that these same people wouldn't complain a hair if Microsoft suddenly started charging 10 bucks a month
i remember people complaining and lawsuits getting thrown at microsoft last year over them removing support from the xbox 360 for most third party memory cards.

but your missing the point of the suit, very few people care about other OS as it wasnt that popular a feature. it's the fact that sony removed a feature that some people (even if it was only a few) bought the system to use.

it's like if sony decided to stop backward compatibility on the older units through an update*, sure that wouldn't affect everyone but those it did (like me) would be pissed and would sue with good reason. i bought my ps3 for its BC, and people wouldn't be too happy to be forced to buy a ps2 again because of a simple update. im sure people weren't happy to buy official overpriced memory cards for their xbox 360s either.

*[sub]even with hardware based BC, im sure an update could disable it[/sub]

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Rainforce said:
on topic: I think its a good decision to put it all together, but on the other hand, why is it still running? Sony has no chance to win this case, they need to put the feature back in because they cant afford to compensate every single ps3 owner.
well, at least from my point of view.
Not every single PS3 owner, just the ones with the old fat models. The slim models never had Other OS to begin with, but at the time Sony said that all models that did have it would keep it.

Loving the Phoenix Wright art. That's clearly Sony stuck in that cell down in the corner.

culade said:
it's like if sony decided to stop backward compatibility on the older units through an update*, sure that wouldn't affect everyone but those it did (like me) would be pissed and would sue with good reason. i bought my ps3 for its BC, and people wouldn't be too happy to be forced to buy a ps2 again because of a simple update. im sure people weren't happy to buy official overpriced memory cards for their xbox 360s either.

*[sub]even with hardware based BC, im sure an update could disable it[/sub]
If Sony did that I'd join you in that lawsuit. I use my 60GB's BC as well, in fact I'm working on a PS2 game right now. If they tried to remove that feature, Sony would easily lose any and all business from me in the future along with me joining in with the nice big lawsuit.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM CAPTAIN LAWSUIT!

Yeah, not as exciting as that really.
I think Erik Estavillo is behind this all. "Waaaaaaaah. They took away the "OTHER OS" option on my PS3 which let me make sure people on the outside world know I was a hermit with no life. Ima sue! And celebritiy x will help for stupid reason y."

Makes sense, right?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
psrdirector said:
I own a ps3, I dont give two shits about the feature what so ever. and torrent has no other use besides pirating
The first is your loss but when you don't care the rest of us doesn't have to suffer from it.
The second is wrong. [http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download]

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
The thing is when the ps3 released it was a 600 dollar console. No game station is worth that... for that kind of money you can build a gaming PC. I did consider the purchase since the ps3 could also stand in for a PC. I'm glad I skipped it. I would be a member of this suite otherwise. This is not some insignificant feature. If you purcahsed a device that you were comfortable paying X-dollars for because it would serve your desire for a utility/work PC, as well as a gaming console ripping half that equation out of the box is most uncool. Sony said outright that the ps3 was more than a game system. They we're looking to get in on the PC action(by the way mac users in case you think I've forgotten you I havent, Macs ARE PCs theyre just a certain brand name). Unfortunatly the open form of a PC brings with it the ease of piracy, and sony is now in the downward spiral of fighting piracy at the expense of it's customers.

On the other hand if sony is ordered to return support for other OS and it makes it's way onto the slim as well(I know, not happening) I might look to obtain one.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
No I don't think OtherOS will be back, but I hope they slap Sony with enough damages to make any other company that wants to remove advertised functionality from their products take notice.

cpsusie

Jun 22, 2010
The way these class actions usually work is that everybody who bought the ps3 between the time they advertised the feature and the time the feature was removed will receive a share of the settlement proceeds. The damages will be the value of the PS3 with the feature in question minus its value without the feature. The ps3 owners who originally instigated the case may see some extra money as an incentive. The lawyers will get a fairly large percentage. There may be some extra money in there if there is statutory law allowing for penalties or punitive damages of some sort.

Bottom line, I bet everyone affected gets like $10.00 and the lawyers all make a killing -- and hopefully Sony and their ilk is deterred from similar bad conduct in the future.

If a serious settlement is in the works, all known PS3 owners should be getting a letter informing them of their rights to the settlement proceeds. If you don't get a letter, feel you are in the class of affected people and have heard a settlement is going down, be sure to contact the court so you can get the contact info of the claims administrator.

To the fellow who thought this was an example of a silly US Court system: nope, this is what makes our court system great. Companies held accountable for their misdeeds.

Apr 3, 2010
It's sad that it has to come down to court. It'd be nice if companies started supplying features users wanted, avoided artificial limitations, and stopped treating the ability to be a criminal as equal to being one.

On the topic of BitTorrent; I today watched a film legally distributed via Torrents by it's creators, and have gotten games and films through a similar method from it's creators before.

Many people would argue BitTorrent is bad for games and films as an industry, but I argue it is amazing for games and films as a culture.