Our Covid Response

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking from what you wrote, a company could still see a $700K fine for not enforcing vaccinations in their businesses, even if the person already has natural anti-bodies caused by having had it. Troubling.
But as the law stands, businesses are simply not required to ensure all employees are vaccinated. And this introduces no new legal stipulations at all; it merely increases fines for existing laws surrounding dangerous workplaces.

Reactions: gorfias

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I completely welcome that increase in fines. The fines as they were before were chump change.
Tangentially, you shouldn't welcome that sort of thing. You know how people say that when the punishment is a fine, it's not really illegal for rich people? When the punishment for workplace issues is a flat fine, it's not really illegal for the richest businesses. Forget the $700,000 for a moment, they want to up the fine for each individual event as well. A single health violation could instantly bankrupt a small business. It's basically discouraging anyone without very deep pockets from owning anything themselves to have high, flat fines like that.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
For some reason, Australia is still shut down with few cases, while the US which has numerous cases pretends like there is no pandemic.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Forget the $700,000 for a moment, they want to up the fine for each individual event as well. A single health violation could instantly bankrupt a small business.
It's not a flat fine, though, it's "up to" $700,000,

Secondly, it has terminology with caveats surrounding legal liability such as "serious", "willful", "repeated", etc. So it's really not like some small business owner is going to accidentally slip up on a piece of paperwork and be instantly bankrupted.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
not really flat at that point, then
They want to up the fines for single events in a similar fashion to upping the fines for repeated issues. I was not describing an incremental increase.
It's not a flat fine, though, it's "up to" $700,000,

Secondly, it has terminology with caveats surrounding legal liability such as "serious", "willful", "repeated", etc. So it's really not like some small business owner is going to accidentally slip up on a piece of paperwork and be instantly bankrupted.
No, but they could very easily end up boned because a bureaucrat doesn't like them in particular.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Come now, not everyone plays by the Republican playbook.
Well, that is the most naive statement I've ever seen in my life. Do you actually think there's one party of all bad guys and everyone else is great? That such a childish viewpoint.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
EDIT: I see others have already pointed out that it's not a flat fine.

No, but they could very easily end up boned because a bureaucrat doesn't like them in particular.
These things are not determined by a single person, and this is a "problem" that would have existed equally before.

$700,000 will matter a lot more to a large corporation than $70,000 will.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
For some reason, Australia is still shut down with few cases, while the US which has numerous cases pretends like there is no pandemic.
The term 'shut down' is just conservative doublespeak for 'quarantine is bad for economy'. Similar to illegal immigrants being doublespeak for refugee to make certain demographics automatically hate them

Anyway, one state in Australia is having a couple of thousands cases a day. All the other states are trying to stop seepage across the borders. Hence the 'lengthy' lockdowns. The leader just lost her job yesterday... over unrelated (to Covid) corruption charges. So we will see if they can turn it around with a new premier. But I think it's too late

But, in reality, not many people's lives are actually negatively effected. Most people just work from home. It's just those trying to cross the border. And the tourism/events industry. While the lockdown has some effect on the economy, it's not particularly large (with certain industries being hugely effected.)

The national government has an idea about when our 'Freedom Day' is. It's probably close to 90% vaccinated. So maybe by xmas. But... like... I dont know what I would do extra on a 'Freedom day' that I cant already do now except cross the border. Except not wear a mask, which I'm not going to lie, will be great

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Sure, and black men can end up filled with bulletholes because a cop doesn't like them, but I don't see you advocating for disarming the police.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The term 'shut down' is just conservative doublespeak for 'quarantine is bad for economy'. Similar to illegal immigrants being doublespeak for refugee to make certain demographics automatically hate them

Anyway, one state in Australia is having a couple of thousands cases a day. All the other states are trying to stop seepage across the borders. Hence the 'lengthy' lockdowns. The leader just lost her job yesterday... over unrelated (to Covid) corruption charges. So we will see if they can turn it around with a new premier. But I think it's too late

But, in reality, not many people's lives are actually negatively effected. Most people just work from home. It's just those trying to cross the border. And the tourism/events industry. While the lockdown has some effect on the economy, it's not particularly large (with certain industries being hugely effected.)

The national government has an idea about when our 'Freedom Day' is. It's probably close to 90% vaccinated. So maybe by xmas. But... like... I dont know what I would do extra on a 'Freedom day' that I cant already do now except cross the border. Except not wear a mask, which I'm not going to lie, will be great
I have an aunt in Sydney who told me you can't move more than 5 miles outside your home. That sounds pretty strict.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Sure, and black men can end up filled with bulletholes because a cop doesn't like them, but I don't see you advocating for disarming the police.
I mean, situationally. I certain advocate for disarming that cop, as a specific example.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I have an aunt in Sydney who told me you can't move more than 5 miles outside your home. That sounds pretty strict.
Im not sure on the exact number of kilometers, but Sydney is way more lockdown that where I live. We did have similar restrictions, but I think the longest was a week. I was still going to work during those restrictions

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
That's even worst.
There are myriad conditions and exceptions to travel further, but the general idea is to stay at home and avoid spreading/catching a disease until most people are vaccinated. They allowed so many loopholes that it's been pretty bad at doing that, though it could be worse.