Our generation's racism

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Quick Disclaimer, I've tried to be as inoffensive as possible here (don't want to insult someone's late granny or some such) but I can't catch everything. So yeah, sorry if anyone's offended.

So, some of us will have (or be familiar with the trope of) a racist elder relation.

You know the type.

Inaccurate quote but it's close from memory said:
My grandmother use to call me a porch monkey all the time, she also called a broken bottle a '****** knife' - Clerks 2
Or, "It's not racist, she's old"

Even sexism is still around in the same way, Bob Kelso of Scrubs anyone?

So, I think it's pretty clear that our generation aren't comfortable with homophobia and it'll be the people retiring now that will have some "Homophobic grandparents" in their cohort.

What do you think our generation will be bigoted about?

I think it'll be transphobia. I think I'm a pretty nice dude and It's something I have difficulty understanding which is pretty close to fear and blah blah. It's not a stretch (in my mind) to see people becoming more open about transgenderism (?) in pop culture or whatever and I can foresee a bunch of people (at least from rural towns like the one I grew up in) being openly against this.

So what do you think we need to be aware of for when we're old to avoid being wrinkly bigots?

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Oh God, my grandfather is terrible for that kind of thing (although, curiously, has always been incredibly fond of Islam, which almost puts him ahead of our time).

I reckon homophobia is going the same way as racism, where each generation is becoming less and less inclined to discrimination than the last, but I'm not really sure what 'phobia' will be an issue for our generation until it actually happens. It just depends on the kind of things that might become commonplace in future generations. Maybe they'll be the ones to remove the taboos surrounding necrophilia, or bestiality, at which point I can definitely imagine a large portion of the current generation getting angry about it. Transgender issues might become a similar problem too, although I think the current generation has already started to become a lot more tolerant about such matters. We might not have an issue with that particular subject in the future (I know I certainly wouldn't, although I'm also pretty open about the necrophilia one too if it comes to that, so perhaps I'm not a very accurate barometer of popular opinion).

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Suicidejim said:
has always been incredibly fond of Islam, which almost puts him ahead of our time).
Now what is that meant to mean?
Some people aren't.

Some people are anti-theist in general and Islam has gotten a bad rap in pop culture and media since about (oh at a rough guess) 12th September 2001 onward.

Matthew94 said:
I don't know. Though I think of myself as pretty open minded about people, many people in my school still hold the old-fashioned viewpoints of their parents. I'm not trying to act high and mighty (though it looks that way) but many people I know simply ape what their parents believe and never think for themselves, just look at the divide in Northern Ireland that still persists today despite the troubles being over for over a decade.

So yeah, I think homophobia will still be a reasonably big one (wheeeey) for a while.

I think transphobia will blow up once the trans people become louder. Many people are negative towards them but because they are such a minority it's never brought up. Once they push for more acceptance, then I believe is when we will see more of it out in the open.
I take it you're turning 18 this year (94 is in your name) so you'd be in high school in many countries?
High school is shit. Everyone (obviously there's an exception to every rule but...), everyone grows up once they hit the real world.
Most of your peers will end up making their own opinions on racism et cetera once they're out of home, and sure, some of them will keep the ones they inherited, but plenty of people grow out of that sort of thing.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Matthew94 said:
StBishop said:
Matthew94 said:
Suicidejim said:
has always been incredibly fond of Islam, which almost puts him ahead of our time).
Some people aren't.

Some people are anti-theist in general and Islam has gotten a bad rap in pop culture and media since about (oh at a rough guess) 12th September 2001 onward.
Yes, but is he saying that we will grow to love Islam in the future? It's worded like that but I don't want to look like I'm putting words in his mouth.
Maybe stop hating is more the vibe that was intended.

I personally think Islam is great, but you know, what ever.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Matthew94 said:
StBishop said:
Matthew94 said:
Suicidejim said:
Some people aren't.

Yes, but is he saying that we will grow to love Islam in the future? It's worded like that but I don't want to look like I'm putting words in his mouth.
I think he means that his grandfather liked hating islam before everyone else.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Suicidejim said:
You haven't noticed any sort of anti-Islamic sentiments in the world these days? I've noticed, particularly in the US (presumably due to the influence of 9/11 among other things) that a very vocal portion of the population openly decries Islam as an evil and vile religion. The whole 'Muslims as terrorists' stereotype has become a very pervasive one in today's society. I know one girl who refuses to wear a headscarf because she doesn't want to be associated with all the negativity and prejudice surrounding Islam.

Of course, this, like other prejudices, seems to be lessening with each new generation (on both sides of the fence, since I know plenty of Muslims who acknowledge they are a lot more open-minded than their parents), but it still strikes me as a strong one in this day and age.

I simply found it amusing that my grandfather, who makes all kind of racist jokes at family occasions and once struck my aunt when she got a nose piercing on the basis that she "looked like a fucking Paki" admired the religion that seems to be today's controversial hot-button group.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Matthew94 said:
StBishop said:
Matthew94 said:
Suicidejim said:
Some people aren't.

I was going to make a hipster joke but stopped my self. And there is plenty of confirmation bias for everyone to feed off of regarding Islam, so it doesn't seem that far off.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Ugh, hating religions is vulgar.

I can understand the intellectual distaste for organised religion, it is reasonable. But hating a person for what they believe is simply boorish.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Matthew94 said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Matthew94 said:
StBishop said:
Matthew94 said:
Suicidejim said:
Some people aren't.

No he says he grandfather is fond of islam which means he is "ahead of our time".
I read it as him saying that his grandfather was fond of hating Islam, and I took the ahead of our time part to mean that his grandfather was doing it before the media.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Suicidejim said:
Matthew94 said:
Suicidejim said:
You haven't noticed any sort of anti-Islamic sentiments in the world these days? I've noticed, particularly in the US (presumably due to the influence of 9/11 among other things) that a very vocal portion of the population openly decries Islam as an evil and vile religion. The whole 'Muslims as terrorists' stereotype has become a very pervasive one in today's society. I know one girl who refuses to wear a headscarf because she doesn't want to be associated with all the negativity and prejudice surrounding Islam.

Of course, this, like other prejudices, seems to be lessening with each new generation (on both sides of the fence, since I know plenty of Muslims who acknowledge they are a lot more open-minded than their parents), but it still strikes me as a strong one in this day and age.

I simply found it amusing that my grandfather, who makes all kind of racist jokes at family occasions and once struck my aunt when she got a nose piercing on the basis that she "looked like a fucking Paki" admired the religion that seems to be today's controversial hot-button group.
So what you mean is we should be accepting of them? Love is a very strong word.
Alright, perhaps I didn't think over my wording too thoroughly (I'll be honest, I didn't think a minor aside in some brackets would end up being the source of so much confusion there). I wasn't really passing a judgement upon what we 'should' be doing. I didn't mean to imply that, by saying he was 'ahead of our time,' he was necessarily superior in that judgement, just more accepting. I do assume that, as long as the tensions between the West and Middle East don't boil over into WW3, acceptance of Islam is going to increase over time, thus he would be ahead of where we are now. I'm just judging from trends that I've noticed.

Sorry for all the confusion, people. My bad.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
Robophobia.

Also, whatever you would call bigotry against cyborgs and gengineered people (the group category for those would be transhumans, but "transphobia" is taken by something completely different).