Our generation's racism

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Liquidacid23 said:
him over there said:
Liquidacid23 said:
so many people now a days are racist against racists... it's sad
Can't tell if sarcasm or understated opinion about fighting hate with hate...
why can't it be both?
It can, but the sarcasm sort of implies that you don't believe in your own opinion. Anyway I agree, treating people like pariahs based on things they think of others regardless of how terrible it is takes us back to square one.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Stilt said:
StBishop said:
Stilt said:
StBishop said:
Ugh, hating religions is vulgar.

I can understand the intellectual distaste for organised religion, it is reasonable. But hating a person for what they believe is simply boorish.
Is it wrong for gay people to hate christians?
Yes.
It's not wrong for them to hate someone who hates them, but that's not true of all Christians.

See we're getting back to prejudice again.
Ok slight change, is it wrong for gays to hate homophobes? Christianity leaves no room for doubt, if you are chrisitan, you believe that gays go to hell. Thats been the case with every christian ive ever discussed. The bible is clear on that issue, and many many christians accept that tenet with fervency
You're meeting a Christian right now who openly supports gay rights, marriage equality and encourages their friends to contact their local government representative to further these causes.

I've personally contacted my MP about passing a Bill which is being considered right now which will give homosexual couples the right and ability to get married.

I don't believe people go to hell for being gay. I think homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomenon and it's observed in animals other than humans.

So yeah.

Also, "Christian" means (according to Acts) baptised by the Holy Spirit (rather than simply by water as John the Baptist did. This is possible due to Jesus' sacrifice.). So really anyone who believes that Jesus was the son of God and has been baptised is "Christian".

Christian religions vary a great deal and plenty of them are incredibly accepting of homosexuality. The bible contradicts its self often enough and is quoted out of context enough that, with enough work, one can extract any meaning one wishes if they're creative.

I don't mean to get all bible bashy (it's actually really out of character, a dude I've known for 3 years found out I was Christian last week and didn't believe me at first because I tend to keep it to myself unless I think it's relevant) but I don't really appreciate being told what I believe.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Stilt said:
him over there said:
Liquidacid23 said:
him over there said:
Liquidacid23 said:
so many people now a days are racist against racists... it's sad
Can't tell if sarcasm or understated opinion about fighting hate with hate...
why can't it be both?
It can, but the sarcasm sort of implies that you don't believe in your own opinion. Anyway I agree, treating people like pariahs based on things they think of others regardless of how terrible it is takes us back to square one.
What is the alternative? Should minorities everywhere have to prove that theyre not worthless inferior beings simply because a large population of whites seem to have it ingrained in their close minded little brains that they are superior?

Should they dance and sing and do a little jig and wave banners saying "Please don't hate us Racists! Pleaaaaase?"
No, simply being a normal well meaning human being in your everyday life constantly will slowly prove people's own beliefs wrong.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Stilt said:
StBishop said:
Well, firstly, the Escapist forums aren't a solely American community.

I suppose what you're trying to say is that Classism is the problem our generation need to work on?

I think that's a fair call, I know I've made assumptions about people based on their socio-economic back ground (not only favourable of rich and negative of poor people, I've made positive and negative assumptions about people who're rich and poor).

On the edit; I dunno what it's like where you're from but if someone says "blacks" to me they mean "niggers/coons/racial epithet". Where I'm from I've never heard it said in anything but a negative tone with negative connotations and intent.
I've never encountered a person who said "blacks" and only meant "people who're black".
That would explain it, you are what you know. I've certainly heard it used derisively, but I've also heard it used many times to simply refer to the black community. Context is really important

On the whole I think we have similar views on racism. The people who engage in racist bullying dont know what its like to be on the recieving end, it really hurts, its also scary. These people have 0 empathy. I think its fair to say that people with 0 empathy, who dont even attempt it are scum, unfortunatley America seems over flowing with these people

EDIT: You said somewhere that you grew up in a small rural town where racism was prevalent, very curious, how did you end up escaping the sheep mentality and end up thinking for yourself like so many fail to do?
Yeah, I grew up in a farming town which was settled by Italian immigrants, my parents however were not born there, they're from the UK and I lived in cities until 5 when we moved to a small city (Darwin, it's technically a "capital city" but it's really not, more of a town) and at 10 we moved to rural Queensland. I feel that I grew up in Queensland though as it's where I spent most of my life and where I spent my formative years.

So to that gives a little back ground on my home life, a little more progressive than the average for where I lived.
I was a massive nerd, so the Internet had a little to do with it. I also got teased for being small, skinny, or whatever a little, no more than your average kid but I managed to experience people being mean to me for no reason.

On top of all of that, the people who were least intelligent happened to be the people who were mean to me, and the most bigoted. Wanting to be as far removed from those people I chose to play sports they didn't like and befriend people they didn't like. This led to being friends with the only guys from my town to be brave enough to come out as well as just assuming that any opinion they held (basically all of the shit you get in a small town) was inherently flawed.
I was lucky for racism, it didn't exist much within my age group, some parents were racist though. As was the community at large.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Liquidacid23 said:
as I said... I hate that one group of people for hating that other group of people... they are so stupid.. hating groups of people just isn't right... I hate them sooo much for hating
You want to join my new usergroup about not tolerating intolerant people?

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Stilt said:
StBishop said:
You're meeting a Christian right now who openly supports gay rights, marriage equality and encourages their friends to contact their local government representative to further these causes.

I've personally contacted my MP about passing a Bill which is being considered right now which will give homosexual couples the right and ability to get married.

I don't believe people go to hell for being gay. I think homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomenon and it's observed in animals other than humans.

So yeah.

Also, "Christian" means (according to Acts) baptised by the Holy Spirit (rather than simply by water as John the Baptist did. This is possible due to Jesus' sacrifice.). So really anyone who believes that Jesus was the son of God and has been baptised is "Christian".

Christian religions vary a great deal and plenty of them are incredibly accepting of homosexuality. The bible contradicts its self often enough and is quoted out of context enough that, with enough work, one can extract any meaning one wishes if they're creative.

I don't mean to get all bible bashy (it's actually really out of character, a dude I've known for 3 years found out I was Christian last week and didn't believe me at first because I tend to keep it to myself unless I think it's relevant) but I don't really appreciate being told what I believe.
I am confusing "Christian" with "Catholic", no doubt there are varying degrees of orthodoxy, obviously you are one of the more open minded Christians. I think the term christianity has been somewhat bastardized by the catholic church and other christian extremists, especially with how loving and accepting jesus was described in the bible. The perception I have of religion is that it preaches love while acting in hateful, horrible ways. If only the chruches were run by people with your own mentality, i think there would be a lot less blood shed and hate brewing.

Some things about catholicism that baffle me: The pope is basically god to these people. I mean when John paul would tour the world, Millions would show up, a sea of human beings as far as the eye could see, isnt there something in the bible about false idols? The saying "people wouldn't care as much if god himself showed up" rings true.

Also i find it hilarious when bankers claim jesus as one of their own. What a crock, and people buy into it, unreal. The guy that banished the money changers from the temple and cursed them is on their side? HHHH

The idea of religion is perfect on paper, its all about love, community, togetherness, on paper. But then a bunch of rich bastards come along and use it to enslave people's minds and manipulate them to their own ends. Its not the religion I hate, its the ease with which it can be corrupted that I hate.
I can see where that would be a point of confusion.

I didn't enjoy my time at a Catholic school and I don't think particularly highly of the Catholic church, however it's getting better.

The current Pope has actually condemned homophobia and said that God's cool with homosexuality.

I see what you mean about Christianity being soiled by extremists. Much like what's happened to Islam over the last decade (although in my experience it's dying down recently). Obviously it's not the same, but it's similar.

I mean look at the Westborough Baptists and the KKK, they're technically Christian.

The Anglican Church is actually run by some pretty awesome people, as is the Lutheran Church.

Also, the Mormons I've had the fortune to meet are all awesome dudes. (Never met a female Mormon).

There are bankers claiming Jesus is one of them??? Where?

If you've ever experienced a small parish it's actually as nice as it sounds on paper. I mean, sure it's not for everyone, there's sort of a requirement that you believe in God, Jesus and think the Bible is non-fiction; but if that description fit and someone was simply against organised churches I'd recommend that they look for a small parish, the people are all lovely and usually there's a bunch of nice old grannies and young families wearing pastel colours.

Provided a person tempers what their pastor/preist tells them with their own judgement it doesn't tend to lead to horrible things.