Our Little Pony

LordFish

May 29, 2012
Another vote for the "I get exactly what he's trying to do (thank you, Coldster) however I don't think its very well executed"

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Where can I find myself a sexual harassment fluttershy? In fact, where can I find attractive girls cosplaying well? I'd pay to see that.

Edit: I rofl'd hard at "That ass is magic"

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
. . . This is a thing? ._. I mean... Anti-girl gaming stuff is incredibly stupid but... that applies to MLP too... Wat.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Looks like one more reason for me to not watch MLP, not to dump on those of you who do. Some of the fans are quite, shall we say, off-putting. I watch Adventure Time, though, because it's F^$@ing bonkers, and awesome.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
God damn the rainbow dash girl with the cigar alone had me laughing my ass off.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I don't know how that guy wanted to sound, but he comes off as a grade A douche from what I'm reading. So what if they are only there to cosplay and socialize? Their reason for being at the convention is just as valid as anyone else's.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
I can't decide if the fact I understand the reverse satire is good or bad, though mainly I'm just bitter about all of it because gender is still a big thing. That and I have to be reminded in my slipping faith in humanity every day.

uhohimdead

Apr 24, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
To be fair, Bronies, you know, adult men calling pink ponies "cute" and a variety of names one should only use about, well, humans, and preferably real people, deserve almost all sarcasm and mockery heading their way.

I'll be the first to admit that there are ridiculous forms of fandom in anything. Gaming itself is pretty silly. But the amount of Bronies that I've even seen posting here, describing their love for fictitious ponies, and how they'd totally "date" them, it gives me enough creeps to last a lifetime.

We could lump them together with the furries and put them on an island somewhere, that would solve a multitude of problems.
i'm a brony and i do love MLP but not in the same sense that you seem to be implying...

i know to difference between reality and fiction and don't aspire to date a fictional character. Sure there are those in the brony community that like sort of thing, but generalizing the whole fan base for what a small part of it does is pretty shallow-minded

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Yal said:
I am beginning to suspect this entire comic may be fiction.
Wow, brilliant work there Sherlock. :p

Basically, the comic is making a point about male geeks who respond to females at Cons, particularly attractive ones that defy the usually "geek" stereotype, with unwarranted hostility.

The point they're making is this: How would you feel if you liked something stereotypically girly like My Little Pony and everyone harassed you or thought you were an attention whore because of it? That's how girls often feel when they show up at cons, despite being genuinely interested in nerdy stuff.

Yeah, the comic's drenched in sarcasm and satire, so it's a bit hard to understand.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
At first, I thought the women in the comic were just a bunch of gay men (not that there's anything wrong with that). To the artist of this comic, I think you need to give them more defined curves or soemthing, because this is not the first time I've made that mistake.

Either way, I am now looking forward to the MLP episode on sexual harassment. Unless it happens to Fluttershy, in which case I will be permanently scarred.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Did anyone actually read the text underneath the comic? It pretty much spells the point out for you; that this shit happens all the time to women, where women geeks and gamers for some inexplicable reason have to 'prove themselves' that they're not just posers. It's bullshit, pathetic misogynist crap.

Also no Rarity?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
ThriKreen said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
It's just... Even if you agree that there are women who purposefully dress up for conventions in order to get attention (which I doubt anyway; for money, yes, for attention, no) even though they don't care about nerdy stuff, why does that give you the right to mock their appearance?

I know I keep rambling back and forth here, but I just stare at that article and it seems to drip misogyny, despite (and partly because) of how frequently he dips into phrases like "it's not all women" and "some of my best friends are women".
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/07/26/who-gets-to-be-a-geek-anyone-who-wants-to-be/#comment-343880

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/07/26/who-gets-to-be-a-geek-anyone-who-wants-to-be/#comment-343951

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/07/26/who-gets-to-be-a-geek-anyone-who-wants-to-be/#comment-344107

One could read the original blog response too, but as with many in the comments, the author missed the point of the original one too. Granted, the source probably could have been written better, I will give you that.

Basic point is, that while yes we can't judge everyone who cosplays in skimpy outfits as attention whores, someone eventually will want to talk to them (whether to hit on them, or just talk about what an awesome Emma Frost they make). But there's that realization once you DO start talking to them where they're totally disinterested in you, the con, the subject, and just don't really care, they just want to see the flashes and crowds.

It's like ticket scalpers or people who buy as many limited editions as possible to sell on Ebay later, but have no idea what the comic is about, they're just there to milk money (or in this case, attention) from people, and starve it from more deserving people.
Well okay, so they do exist. I didn't have enough experience with cons myself to comment, I just felt that it sounded a little unbelievable to me. Apparently I was wrong, although I still kind of think a few bits of anecdotal evidence aren't proof of a widespread problem.

But still, I don't like the idea of acting like you have to create some kind of geek Inquisition to reject the eeevil wannabes. It's a public space (assuming they paid to get in or whatever else), and it's not as if they're drugging vulnerable nerds to be carried off for some kind of sick experiments. What precisely is the problem? That you feel these wannabes are so hypnotising that entire swathes of the nerd population will be swayed by their wiles? That they'll hurt your feelings by being rude about the things they're dressed up as?

I just don't think it's worth the trouble you'd create by treating every attractive woman at a convention with suspicion. And I especially don't think the guy who wrote the original post is the right guy to talk about it, since he seems to be an arrogant, judgemental prick. He can say he's not talking about 'proper' nerd girls until he's blue in the face, he still used the "out of 10" scale in the same article as saying that he's attracted to brains over looks. After implying that women are worth less if they're lower on the scale, too.

SpiderJerusalem said:
We could lump them together with the furries and put them on an island somewhere, that would solve a multitude of problems.
Yeah, problems like... Umm...

Err...

...The number of sexual assaults being committed against fictional creatures? Seriously, what problems are we talking about here?

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Man there's a lot of whooshing going on in here!

Also Cigar Chomping Rainbow Dash is clearly superior.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
There are two things in this world I hate most.

1. People who are intolerant of other peoples preferences and beliefs to point of alienation
2. Bronies.