Out of Context Quotes

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
"There are few things more dangerous in this world than soccer moms with a mission."

Reactions: Xprimentyl

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
"Okay, while you're not technically inaccurate, you are doing a disservice to serious historical analysis by calling apartheid 'cringe'."

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
"Okay, while you're not technically inaccurate, you are doing a disservice to serious historical analysis by calling apartheid 'cringe'."
My girlfriend's ex-husband and father of their 17-year-old son is from South Africa; he obviously lived during apartheid. I'm black, and while we get along just fine, I often wonder 1.) what stance he and his family took during apartheid and 2.) if he harbors any, I dunno, "lingering ideals" when he's around me. I have absolutely no reason to believe or think the latter, but I DO wonder. I even met his father who still lived in SA before he passed a couple years ago, and he was a very nice man, probably one of the most pleasant and polite people I've ever met, so I'd like to imagine his family wasn't at least ACTIVELY pro-apartheid, but that's not really a question to ask; it'd be uncomfortable for all involved...

Reactions: CM156

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
My girlfriend's ex-husband and father of their 17-year-old son is from South Africa; he obviously lived during apartheid. I'm black, and while we get along just fine, I often wonder 1.) what stance he and his family took during apartheid and 2.) if he harbors any, I dunno, "lingering ideals" when he's around me. I have absolutely no reason to believe or think the latter, but I DO wonder. I even met his father who still lived in SA before he passed a couple years ago, and he was a very nice man, probably one of the most pleasant and polite people I've ever met, so I'd like to imagine his family wasn't at least ACTIVELY pro-apartheid, but that's not really a question to ask; it'd be uncomfortable for all involved...
Reminds me of a nice old lady I met working at a locally owned clothes store. She had a bit of an accent that I picked up on and she mentioned she was from South Africa and moved to the USA in 1994.
It is entirely possible that she had been planning the move for quite a while and it just happened to have occurred in 1994. It's also possible that her reason for leaving (to never return, as the subtext of her statements made clear) had something to do with other events in SA in 1994.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
"No, my grandfather was not a 'girlboss' and I'll thank you never to say that again."
"It's a reminder of what Germany used to be like. But like... in a good way. Not a Nazi way."

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
"Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having. Goddammit, Otto, you're an alcoholic. Goddammit, Otto, you have lupus. One of these two doesn't sound right."

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
"One of his tics is that he brutally masturbates himself."
Just the other day I was thinking about this teacher I read about on the Escapist who lost his job because he hit a female student and then was found masturbating in the hallway.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
"Why would I pay a veterinarian to put my dog down? I've got a .40 cal upstairs; I'll put a pillow over his head, say my goodbyes, pull the trigger, and do that shit myself for free."

*No animals were or will be harmed as of the posting of this sentiment. My friend and I share a very dark sense of humor.

Reactions: CM156

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
"Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having. Goddammit, Otto, you're an alcoholic. Goddammit, Otto, you have lupus. One of these two doesn't sound right."
I've always wondered, had alcohol not been "invented," what would clinical alcoholics be addicted to?

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I've always wondered, had alcohol not been "invented," what would clinical alcoholics be addicted to?
Honestly, I think it's a personality/mental thing more than the physical. In other words, if alcohol weren't a thing, the would-be alcoholic would just find something else to get addicted to.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Honestly, I think it's a personality/mental thing more than the physical. In other words, if alcohol weren't a thing, the would-be alcoholic would just find something else to get addicted to.
Yeah, that's what I figured, but it's just odd that "alcohol" gets a separate distinction in terms of disorders when it's more than likely just general "addiction." Like, I wonder what parts of the brain light up when an alcoholic and a hoarder are sating their desires for completely disparate things; are they the same?

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
"When you get right down to the specifics, IVF is basically black magic. Scientifically speaking."