Outland Review

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
Kinda reminds of the Castlevania games, lol this game is more Castlevania than Lords of shadow.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I'm convinced. Downloading now.

After playing Super Street Fighter IV for a while, I need something else to get infuriated with besides losing matches.

And yes, it definitely looks gorgeous.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
shiajun said:
DanDeFool said:
Dammit.

Screw Halo Reach and Modern Warfare 2. I want an X360 just so I can play stuff like this!

Fuck, why do all the good indie and old-school games never get to Steam?

What? Way more people own X360s than PCs? Well... I guess that explains it then.
More people of consoles than on PC? Hmm....I bet that statistic is waaaaaayy off for the kind of audience this type of game could be grabbing given the HUGE casual crowd that already has a computer but has never thought of buying a console.
Something tells me that an old school tough as nails platformer mixed with a touch of tough as nails bullet hell shooter isn't exactly the sort of game that will have an appeal at all to the casual gaming market, never mind PC or console.

Personally, while I would have no issue at all with the game being on the PC, I think it's pretty fair to say that this game does belong on the consoles. They have pretty much always been the home of the platformer and have become the home of the bullet hell shooter as well since the arcade scene kicked the bucket in most of the world.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I think this game can actually be really unfair at times, I've lost count of the times I've been hit by an enemy because I had to take a leap of faith and he happened to be off-screen, or got hit by something I could barely see because of the quirky art style (which is beautiful, but still, it gets in the way sometimes).

Good game though, pretty challenging and excellent value for money, it's quite long. Very like Super Metroid in some ways - a fair amount of backtracking, having to defeat several bosses before you can take on the big bad at the end etc.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
I dunno, Bloom County is a tough act to follow. Do I at least get to play as Steve Dallas? Looks pretty cool, but of course I'll have to wait for PSN to get its act together.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
The problem I have with Outland is that the aesthetics make it very difficult to determine what is and what isn't a hazard, and where the guy is.

Once, I stepped on a switch and the momentum kept me going, and the camera went to show what the switch did. Then, it panned back and I couldn't find my guy and promptly died from hazards.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...And this is exactly the reason that I cannot wait for the PSN to return. Other than the fact that I will go broke stupidly fast.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
S1leNt RIP said:
I'm not sure how the controls would work for PC though...obviously there are enough buttons, but...it just wouldn't be as comfortable.

Either way, I'm just sad it wasn't on PSP. Would have been perfect for it. Also, it was awesome! Loved the boss fights and everything, though it made me feel stupid for the number of times I died just from not planning ahead.
I'm also primarily a PC gamer. What I use is a 360 controller for windows. A bit pricier than the console one, but works well for me and seems to have some good support for it. Otherwise there are tons of budget usb controllers. Shop around.

OT: Susan, I'm learning to trust your tastes. This is now on my list :)

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
shiajun said:
DanDeFool said:
Dammit.

Screw Halo Reach and Modern Warfare 2. I want an X360 just so I can play stuff like this!

Fuck, why do all the good indie and old-school games never get to Steam?

What? Way more people own X360s than PCs? Well... I guess that explains it then.
More people of consoles than on PC? Hmm....I bet that statistic is waaaaaayy off for the kind of audience this type of game could be grabbing given the HUGE casual crowd that already has a computer but has never thought of buying a console.
Something tells me that an old school tough as nails platformer mixed with a touch of tough as nails bullet hell shooter isn't exactly the sort of game that will have an appeal at all to the casual gaming market, never mind PC or console.

Personally, while I would have no issue at all with the game being on the PC, I think it's pretty fair to say that this game does belong on the consoles. They have pretty much always been the home of the platformer and have become the home of the bullet hell shooter as well since the arcade scene kicked the bucket in most of the world.
True, that, but the unwary buyer might not know this game comes from that school of unforgiving platformers. I was sort of thinking not of the droning Farmville addicts but the masochists that become hooked on Peggle, Bejeweled, countless reflex scoring games, the aformentioned Plants vs. Zombies, etc, for which a community like Steam's is just ripe for the picking.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Just a small snag, a thing I'd love to be brought up here.

Can we have more PC indie game reviews? I know it's not a lot, maybe just a small thing, but I'm not getting an Xbox or PSN any time soon. Just a little help in this area because we love gaming too.

OT: Damn is that ever gorgeous. If I could get a game on the Xbox, this would be one.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
So no creepy kids? No corn fields? Then what is this title about?

Outlander! We have your woman! She still lives Outlander!

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Wow, I'd seen a small discussion and some screen shots, but this is the first time I've seen it in motion. I'll definitely pick this one up!

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
It's like N+ and Ikaruga had a baby in South America. That alone is pretty damn epic right there. Seeing as how I own BOTH of those games, which are the ONLY games on my 360... DO WANT.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Wow, those graphics are gorgeous. Sadly, I just know that this is a game I would only grow frustrated with if I tried to play it. I guess I can at least try the demo, and continue to admire video footage of it.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
This game is incredible, go buy it Salad demands. You won't be disappointed; it's like Prince of Persia 2: Shadow and the Flame, Ikaruga and Tron had a crazy drunken encounter one night and against their better judgement kept the baby...and we're all the luckier for that decision.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Check points. Learn 'em!

Yeah, fuckin' Megaman drops a check point before a tough ass boss fight. This game does not. It's game design two decades in the making.