Ouya Backers Want Games Like Skyrim

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
In other news, gamers feel entitled and may have unrealistic expectations.
Rainboq said:
Despite what people are saying, if AAA titles are on the thing, sales will probably be a lot higher than if it was just indy games. A mix is a good thing.
Since it's open-source, my guess is that if a developer did port one of its AAA titles, it would sell one copy which would then be pirated 3 million times. I wouldn't count on a lot of top-tier developer support for the Vowelinator.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Mortuorum said:
In other news, gamers feel entitled and may have unrealistic expectations.
Rainboq said:
Despite what people are saying, if AAA titles are on the thing, sales will probably be a lot higher than if it was just indy games. A mix is a good thing.
Since it's open-source, my guess is that if a developer did port one of its AAA titles, it would sell one copy which would then be pirated 3 million times. I wouldn't count on a lot of top-tier developer support for the Vowelinator.
Open source != piracy. Just look at Linux.
rhizhim said:
gamers have such unrealisic high expectations...

dont they know what open source means?
Open source means that anyone can develop for, mod it and tinker with it. Not 'indy exclusive'.
Rainboq said:
but thats not the purpose of the ouya.

has no one read what its for?
The purpose of Ouya is to provide an alternative for consumers who like consoles and developers who want to develop for it but don't have the budget for costly SDKs.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
the doom cannon said:
I like how league of legends is on there. I don't supposed people who wanted it realize you need the mouse and keyboard...And what's with all the AAA titles? I want more indie games, not more AAA games. That's why I'm buying every indie bundle during the steam sale....Gonna have to go over and fill out that survey
They are actually also trying to get a mouse and keyboard to get to work on it. THey have also said they want the specs uped a little bit to 2 gigs of ram at least and some way to add external memory. SD slots and USB

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"Not shown on the list were also requests for a spaceship, and a pony."

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Ahahahaha that's a good one. This has worse specs than 7 year old Xbox360 an they want it to play Battlefield, Cod, and GTA? Good luck with that. For battlefield you'd probably have to scale down the game to 4 players online and one jeep to fight over.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Android platform, open source.

Gamers want ALREADY RELEASED AAA TITLES.

Of course. They don't want to encourage creativity and free expression, they just want the same shit shovelled to them. AGAIN. -_-

I swear I'm not a misanthrope. People are just idiots.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
clippen05 said:
Ahahahaha that's a good one. This has worse specs than 7 year old Xbox360 an they want it to play Battlefield, Cod, and GTA? Good luck with that. For battlefield you'd probably have to scale down the game to 4 players online and one jeep to fight over.
Do some googling of the tablets that processor powers and you can find them running slightly less well rendered Lost Planet 2. plus this thing has twice as much RAM as either the 360 or PS3.

and its still definatly got more punch than the *Shudder* Wii.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
Android platform, open source.

Gamers want ALREADY RELEASED AAA TITLES.

Of course. They don't want to encourage creativity and free expression, they just want the same shit shovelled to them. AGAIN. -_-

I swear I'm not a misanthrope. People are just idiots.
I agree, which is why we can't have nice things.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
A open source console with free games and a friendly development environment?!!

Does Pandora ring a bell?? Anyone? No, ok...

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Even on an open system like this you need big name publishers and AAA titles to get the system to appeal to a larger audience. It will benefit indie devs to have a large potential customer base.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
vallorn said:
clippen05 said:
Do some googling of the tablets that processor powers and you can find them running slightly less well rendered Lost Planet 2. plus this thing has twice as much RAM as either the 360 or PS3.

Its not the RAM that's the problem, it's the processor. It's not built for games like these, sure it can run mobile games fine, but it will have trouble with something like COD. Also, these games aren't optimized by the developers for such a processor.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Oh man, there are going to be so many people whining when they figure out what they actually paid money for... Then again that'll be true of a shit ton of kick starters in a few years. Oh well it'll be fun to see kickstarter's honeymoon period go down in an epic flaming mess when projects begin to fail or not deliver.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Oh lord, people think they brought a gaming PC or something by the looks of that list.
Seriously, that thing has a mobile processor/GPU, it wont be running much.

A3Bf72rVWE5hA

Nov 10, 2009
Prof.Beany said:
Oh lord, people think they brought a gaming PC or something by the looks of that list.
Seriously, that thing has a mobile processor/GPU, it wont be running much.
If it can run things like Minecraft and Dungeon Defenders, I'm sure there'll be plenty of people happy with the smaller scaled games

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19800452.jpg

SERIOUSLY. DO PEOPLE READ ANYTHING BEFORE PURCHASING!?

I give up. ;_;

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
clippen05 said:
vallorn said:
clippen05 said:

Its not the RAM that's the problem, it's the processor. It's not built for games like these, sure it can run mobile games fine, but it will have trouble with something like COD. Also, these games aren't optimized by the developers for such a processor.
since you seem to have ignored the first part of my post that mentioned Google I have taken the liberty of doing it for you.

There.

Judging from the kinds of graphics we can see in these I would say that this thing may actually be able to handle the less intensive games of this generation with a few graphical downgrades.

So no Battlefield but CoD with its smaller maps is a possibility. (if a distant one)

EDIT: I appear to have posted the same video twice... ho hum... fixed.

Have this video of Skyrim at the lowest settings possible running on a tablet:

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
Ugh.

Frankly, I don't understand the need for an open, hackable console. You have a PC. Plug a laptop into a TV, and you've already got the lower barrier to entry for developers and the openness and the controller variety and the couch-gaming and whatever else. Plus, you'd actually be *able* to run up-to-date games, rather than being stuck in a hardware cycle - and you get to support tons of indie games!

If the main advantage of a console is the standardization and ease-of-use, it seems to me like the OUYA's openness might end up undermining it. What if a large minority hack it and installs a new graphics card, and then some devs start making games that take advantage of those graphics cards that others don't have? I'm not familiar with console development, but it doesn't seem like that should be impossible.