Ouya Backers Want Games Like Skyrim

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Araksardet said:
Ugh.

Frankly, I don't understand the need for an open, hackable console. You have a PC. Plug a laptop into a TV, and you've already got the lower barrier to entry for developers and the openness and the controller variety and the couch-gaming and whatever else. Plus, you'd actually be *able* to run up-to-date games, rather than being stuck in a hardware cycle - and you get to support tons of indie games!

If the main advantage of a console is the standardization and ease-of-use, it seems to me like the OUYA's openness might end up undermining it. What if a large minority hack it and installs a new graphics card, and then some devs start making games that take advantage of those graphics cards that others don't have? I'm not familiar with console development, but it doesn't seem like that should be impossible.
there's no separate graphics card. it uses a Tablet style CPU GPU called the Tegra 3. which I have some videos of in the post above yours.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
Skyrim? This is why Kickstarter cons work. People DO NOT UNDERSTAND what they are backing.
I don't think it's fair to call it a con if you open a new Burger King and vegans queue around the block to buy your product, despite all over your store, you're proclaiming that it's all 100% pure beef.

There's no con involved in selling exactly what you offered to stupid people :)

If you've thrown a hundred bucks or so at a kickstarter and didn't read the description first, can't really blame the guys making the thing is all :)

Note I didn't mean the above to sound like I was calling vegans stupid, but then, bacon, so... ;)

Seriously tho, I can see them making scaled down versions of AAA titles, ok, not Skyrim, but the PS2 version of Need for Speed, Burnout etc should run, right? I still maintain the later PS2 Burnouts were better than this gen's 'Paradise'.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
I want fallout. No, not fallout 3.

Fallout and Fallout 2. That shit is the bomb

Also stuff like:
Hand of Fate 3
Secrets of Monkey island.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
I still maintain the later PS2 Burnouts were better than this gen's 'Paradise'.
Hell Yeah. Burnout 1, 2 and 3 were AWESOME.

Never had so much fun taking turns causing accidents

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
clippen05 said:
vallorn said:
clippen05 said:
Ahahahaha that's a good one. This has worse specs than 7 year old Xbox360 an they want it to play Battlefield, Cod, and GTA? Good luck with that. For battlefield you'd probably have to scale down the game to 4 players online and one jeep to fight over.
Do some googling of the tablets that processor powers and you can find them running slightly less well rendered Lost Planet 2. plus this thing has twice as much RAM as either the 360 or PS3.

and its still definatly got more punch than the *Shudder* Wii.
Its not the RAM that's the problem, it's the processor. It's not built for games like these, sure it can run mobile games fine, but it will have trouble with something like COD. Also, these games aren't optimized by the developers for such a processor.

Even the latest Tegra chips struggle on some games. Which version of android? what's the RAM?

Notice how Raspberry Pi devs aren't clamouring to make crysis run on it.

Souleks

Jan 17, 2009
the doom cannon said:
I like how league of legends is on there. I don't supposed people who wanted it realize you need the mouse and keyboard...And what's with all the AAA titles? I want more indie games, not more AAA games. That's why I'm buying every indie bundle during the steam sale....Gonna have to go over and fill out that survey
It does have a USB port and bluetooth and they expect people to root around.
Mortuorum said:
In other news, gamers feel entitled and may have unrealistic expectations.
Rainboq said:
Despite what people are saying, if AAA titles are on the thing, sales will probably be a lot higher than if it was just indy games. A mix is a good thing.
Since it's open-source, my guess is that if a developer did port one of its AAA titles, it would sell one copy which would then be pirated 3 million times. I wouldn't count on a lot of top-tier developer support for the Vowelinator.
There is a difference between "Want" and "Would Like" and "Expect"

I want Half-Life 3 to come out tomorrow.
I don't expect it.
This survey is games and genres people would like to see.
I EXPECT to see Dungeon Defenders.(Its already on a mobile platform.)
I EXPECT to see Minecraft.(Its already on a mobile platform.)
I don't expect to see Skyrim even though I want it.(Althought it would be cool.)
ResonanceSD said:
Android platform, open source.

Gamers want ALREADY RELEASED AAA TITLES.

Of course. They don't want to encourage creativity and free expression, they just want the same shit shovelled to them. AGAIN. -_-

I swear I'm not a misanthrope. People are just idiots.
That is because the survey they gave listed already released AAA titles...

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
Even the latest Tegra chips struggle on some games. Which version of android? what's the RAM?

Notice how Raspberry Pi devs aren't clamouring to make crysis run on it.
This is the Tegra 3 processor. its the current gen Tegra chip. There are some vids of what it can do in my post above.

If you had done some reading: The Ouya uses a modified version of Android 4. The OUYA has 1Gb of RAM. (Twice as much as current gen consoles that both have 512Mb).

The Raspberry Pi is a basic PC that was marketed as a teaching assistant for programming among other things. I must have missed the memo about it being marketed as a gaming platform.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I don't quite understand the point of this . . . I mean, it's powered by Android but I wouldn't want a console to play mobile games, and indie developers can already develop for the PC and smart phones to reach a wider audience than they possibly could with a niche console.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
There is a good sceptical article on the Ouya over at Penny Arcade: The reality of the OUYA console doesn't match the hype: why you should be skeptical [http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya-console-doesnt-match-the-hype-why-you-should-be-ske].

I think it sets out the case against the Ouya really well. I'm hoping they are being too sceptical, but everyone over the moon about the Ouya should read it. They have an excellent point about the schedule being unrealistically tight, especially when things like the design for the joypads haven't even been finalised.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Wow, people think this little box is gonna run GTA and Skyrim, and COD, and anything on that list that doesn't happen to be a 2D platformer.

Reality check time, Kickstarter is not there to make peoples dreams come true, it's not a fairy godmother, and neither is the Ouya. That's a big problem with Kickstarter, retards can come along and pay money to have an opinion on something they just don't understand.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Jack and Calumon said:
Who suggested Battletoads? That is a brilliant idea. A Battletoads re-release.
That would be 4chan /v/.

I was there when they decided to troll Ouya by sending in throwaway suggestions like Skyrim and Mass Effect. Then they all voted Battletoads because it seemed like a fun thing to do.

So because of Internet trolling we now might now see the return of Battletoads.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Haha! Yeah, good luck with some of those. Wow, some people really did not know what they were getting into with their donations, were they?

Krion_Vark said:
the doom cannon said:
I like how league of legends is on there. I don't supposed people who wanted it realize you need the mouse and keyboard...And what's with all the AAA titles? I want more indie games, not more AAA games. That's why I'm buying every indie bundle during the steam sale....Gonna have to go over and fill out that survey
They are actually also trying to get a mouse and keyboard to get to work on it. THey have also said they want the specs uped a little bit to 2 gigs of ram at least and some way to add external memory. SD slots and USB
Android natively supports USB keyboard and mouse input, all that will need to happen is the developers tap into that support in the game.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
It's based on Android with Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core processor with 1GB of RAM. It's going to be on par with a tablet.

It's going to be easy as fuck to emulate on a PC which poses the question if you are going to develop for Ouya why not develop for PC?

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
" I doubt we would ever see one of EA's or Activision's key franchises being made available for free on Ouya"

I don't understand this 'free' bit. They're making a console that runs on Android. Who said anything about Free games? Are the developers just supposed to hand over their IP? Or are pirates going to super easily port all these pc titles into it?

I bet one of their larger contributors was Google.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Andrew_C said:
There is a good sceptical article on the Ouya over at Penny Arcade: The reality of the OUYA console doesn't match the hype: why you should be skeptical [http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya-console-doesnt-match-the-hype-why-you-should-be-ske].

I think it sets out the case against the Ouya really well. I'm hoping they are being too sceptical, but everyone over the moon about the Ouya should read it. They have an excellent point about the schedule being unrealistically tight, especially when things like the design for the joypads haven't even been finalised.
I think they are being every bit as skeptical as they ought to be. This thing is going to crash and burn and all that's left to see is how spectacular the show will be.